MacRumors PRSI Self-Soothing, Sounding Board Therapy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I spend entirely too much time in this forum righting social injustice, calling out dangers, sitting in judgement of events, and mostly spinning my wheels. You ever feel that way? :p:D

Yes, sometimes I may influence someone, but ultimately it's a zero sum game. I need to cut back and spend more time in the Community and Games Forums discussing the latest movie, giving/getting advice on all manner of topics, and escaping into a game. ARK Survival Evolved Primative Plus, now that's kind of amazing... and more fun than PRSI. ;)

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Nah, you're addicted. You'll never succeed in your therapy, just give up.

You need PRSI.
    You want PRSI.
    Obey.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Talk about mixed messages. :p

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, that's for 11pm when I want to become unconscious. :p

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Agree 100% that it's a zero sum game. You will not change anyones mind or affect anything outside of the PRSI.

The only way to enjoy the PRSI is to recognize that everyone has a different opinion and that their opinion is right for themselves.

Now if we can only get the D&D game moving again :D.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

you can check out, but you can never leave.............

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Agreed. To take your mind off PRSI you should listen to each live campaign event by both major candidates. In the spirit of relaxation, you should also listen to all the historical records of all the electoral campaigns since the 1912 elections. Rinse and repeat.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Good idea, out of here for at least 50 min. :oops::p

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

It's yet another addiction but one I can only take in certain doses.

I'm all for arguing and debating differences of opinion but sadly these boards are becoming more and more a case of attempting to convince people that something 100% true is actually valid. Like the sea is wet or the grass is green.

Over the last 3-4 years I've noticed a large increase in people who consistently post things which are outright lies and fallacies. It's hard, very hard to debate with these people that believe in their heart of hearts that black is white and white is black.

Oh how I hark back to the days of @leekholer and @.Andy when facts not opinions ruled. Idiocy was not admired and sensible discussion could be had with people on the opposite end of the political spectrum. Sadly those days are gone

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Hmmmm....you want to spend more time off of the forum....so you posted a thread about it.....which means you have another reason to come back to the forum...

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I come for the bombshell threads and stay for the inane memes.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Just put the olympics on TV :).

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes, I liked both @leekohler and @.Andy - both made some terrific posts.

I agree about the increased tendency of some posters to post stuff which is manifestly mendacious and utterly untrue. The other striking thing about such debate in recent times has been the tone of withering and corrosive contempt and the frequent substitution of insults for argument on the part of some of the same posters.

That is depressing.

Agreed. I find the Olympics to be soporific, too.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I blame the NBC commentators. Every time one of them says something, I'm thinking, "Thank you, Captain Obvious.":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I watch with the volume muted or with SAP if available.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Isn't it ironic... don't you think?

BL.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I still find some thoughtful and useful posts in here...I did take a several year break though...

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Use the ignore feature. I didn't want to for the longest time as I like to hear all viewpoints. But I've recently come to terms with the fact that some people are just bat **** crazy and it's not worth my sanity or wasting my life to even read their nonsense. This place has been much more pleasant since I started using it on a select few members.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sometimes I come back to see if any of the half-dead or even the dead have been resurrected.

Sometimes in sticking around I risk joining them... ;)

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

admit it, you love me for them :D

20. VulchR, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The thing is this: I for the life of me cannot understand how some can hold opinions they express here. I never encounter these people in RL, but being at a university my experiences are atypical. I think some people here are very bitter, frightened, and possibly even a little unbalanced (not me of course), but I have learned from some of the people in PRSI with whom I'll probably never agree.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Awe, come on buddy what happened to having an open mind? Oh, that's right, they don't say what I don't like I'll just stick my fingers in my ear and go lalalalalala.

Conservatives are typically quiet on college campus because it's easier to earn your grade when you just pretend to hold the same beliefs as the prof. Now we have safe spaces, so one has to tread lightly in order to not offend feels.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ha. Thank God for you. Righting social injustice is tiring work. Take a rest. Sometimes Batman has to take off his cape, right Hero?

:rolleyes:

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Don't cry, you didn't make the list.

I keep an open mind in real life. On here, I ignore a select few so I don't end up wasting my entire life reading or responding to their crap.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I knew you couldn't quit me.
    [​IMG]

I like hearing every one's opinions even the wrong ones. Heck. I'd meet up with just about anyone for a drink(ruffee free).