Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knox

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
In just over a month, MacRumors.com has provided coverage of two major Apple events, including the launches of the Mac Pro, Leopard, new iPods and the 'iTV'. Using the specially developed MacRumorsLive system, we have once again been able to reliably provide coverage to up to 97,000 visitors simultaneously.

During the 2006 WWDC keynote we served almost 55 GB of data at rates of up to 110 Mbit/sec. If not for the efficiency of the MacRumorsLive AJAX update system, the same webcast would have required approximately twice as many servers and would have had to transfer almost 5 times as much data (270 GB).

Visitors used Safari and Firefox almost equally, with only 13% using Internet Explorer.

A summary of the statistics for both events is included below.

WWDC 2006 Statistics

The following stats were collected on MacRumorsLive.com over a 24 hour period, but 95% of the traffic was generated during a 6 hour window.

Totals

Hits 24,127,672
Pages 1,546,783
Visits 226,846
Unique IPs 184,278
Web data transfered 55.80 GB

Peaks

Hits/second (1 minute average) : 3,638
IRC users : 3,334
Estimated peak simultaneous web visitors : 94,000
Peak bandwidth (5 minute average) : ~110mbit/sec

From web log analysis

58% Mac, 38% Windows
42% Safari, 38% Firefox, 13% Internet Explorer
36% of visitors spent more than 1 hour on the site
89% of data transfered was text

Others

Estimated web data transfer without AJAX : 270.8 GB
Web log size : 5.1GB
Average hits/second during keynote : 2,417

Hits per second graph

hits-20060807.png

Digg vs Slashdot

This graph shows a comparison of the number of visitors per minute that visited MacRumorsLive via Digg and Slashdot.

digg-vs-slashdot.png

The first digg spike at the very start is caused by this story reaching digg's front page and the second larger spike is due to the Mac Pro story also reaching the front page.

The difference between Digg and Slashdot is significant, however it's likely that this isn't a fair comparison. Since Slashdot only posted the link after the keynote ended, a large percentage of users who would have normally clicked on the link will have already been on macrumorslive.com.

Knox

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
'It's Showtime' Statistics

The following stats were collected on MacRumorsLive.com over a 24 hour period, but 95% of the traffic was generated during a 6.5 hour window.

Totals

Hits 22,706,031
Pages 996,319
Visits 201,795
Unique IPs 171,972
Web data transfered 29.83 GB

Peaks

Hits/second : 3,315
Estimated peak simultaneous web visitors : 90,000
Bandwidth : ~65mbit/sec (5 minute average)
IRC users: 1,214

From web log analysis

50% mac, 46% windows
37% safari, 36% firefox, 21% Internet Explorer
35% of visitors spent more than 1 hour on the site

Others

Web log size : 3.95GB
Average hits/second during keynote : 2,361

Simultaneous visitors

This graph shows an estimate of the number of visitors online in any given minute, over the period surrounding the keynote.

visitors.png

About MacRumorsLive

MacRumorsLive was created by Scotland-based developer Equiknox for MacRumors.com and employs hosting services delivered by Tecknohost.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
All I can say is wow :eek:

AJAX is wonderful, imagine all the pages that would of been down without it :)55GB is still a lot of bandwidth in a day, I wonder what hosting plan Macrumors uses? Was more required to be purchased for the day?

Knox

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Thanks SpaceMagic & dcv :)

DeSnousa said:
All I can say is wow :eek:

AJAX is wonderful, imagine all the pages that would of been down without it :)55GB is still a lot of bandwidth in a day, I wonder what hosting plan Macrumors uses? Was more required to be purchased for the day?

When you get to this sort of level of traffic you're talking about multiple dedicated servers split into multiple groups as well - some doing the front page, some serving images, some serving the forums, some serving the avatars and so on. MacRumorsLive is not hosted on the same servers as the normal site (and I should note that the figures above don't include any hits on http://www.macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com) so there was extra capacity used over the normal setup.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Amazing stuff.

Trying to wrap my head around the logistics of that made me want to contribute for another year. ;)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Knox said:
with only 13% using Internet Explorer.

If you're at work and you want to watch the event, but you don't have admin rights to your box and your stupid workplace hasn't put Firefox/Mozilla on the approved products list, your SOL. (Let me see... that might be a situation I'm in right now...)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
iGary said:
Can someone tell me what a view and a hit are, technically speaking?
One view of a webpage might get four hits.
The four hits could be: 1 html file, 1 css file, and 2 images.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
UM, do you have a note from Doctor Q saying it was OK to post statistics?

iGary said:
Can someone tell me what a view and a hit are, technically speaking?

A Page view is a term used in web analytics, and may generally be defined as a request to load a single page of an Internet site. On the World Wide Web a page request would result from a web surfer clicking on a link on another HTML page pointing to the page in question. This should be contrasted with a hit, which refers to a request for a file from a web server. There may therefore be many hits per page view.

Knox

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
rdowns said:
UM, do you have a note from Doctor Q saying it was OK to post statistics?

Special dispensation is granted for MacRumorsLive that allows me to post statistics. Don't worry, it's all above board ;)

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
It's amazing to see that such a complex system is needed to serve what is, in my opinion, simple text updates on a webpage. It kinda gives you the feel of the sheer thousands of people who visit and what kind of load that is. Thanks for the look behind the curtain, Knox, and thanks for all the great work!

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.