Macs and Books

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
In yet another shameless rip-off of jef's style of threads, I give you: Macs and Books!

Please list your favorite books and authors...maybe we can avoid some of the flame wars by discussing something a little less volatile. ;)

I'm just going to list authors for now...

Stephen King
Piers Anthony
Arthur C. Clarke
Frank Herbert
JRR Tolkien
 

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
This is a fun one, Rower! Good job on choosing literature for this thread. It's a nice change. My list of authors is below.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
William Faulkner
Flannery O'Connor
William Shakespeare
Nick Hornby (a guilty pleasure :) )
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by wsteineker
This is a fun one, Rower! Good job on choosing literature for this thread. It's a nice change. My list of authors is below.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
William Faulkner
Flannery O'Connor
William Shakespeare
Nick Hornby (a guilty pleasure :) )
Shakespeare's an interesting one, since the play format doesn't lend itself to easy reading. But I LOVE the live performances! The man's command of the language is/was amazing.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Hmm... well, my reading at the moment consists of Vonnegut, i'm going to try to get through his works... Love his sci-fi stuff, even tho i don't usually do sci-fi... Just got done reading most of Anne Rice's books (Queen of the Damned made me curious)... I read King religiously, am anxiously awaiting the next Dark Tower book...

and there's always the fallback Grisham...

i'm not very creative in my author selection, i know...

:)
pnw
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
To name but a few of my favourites:

Jack Higgins
Bernard Cornwell
Stephen King
Wilbur Smith
Doug/Grant Naylor (authors of the Red Dwarf books)

It'll be interesting to see if this thread can be made into a flame war ;)
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Hmm... well, my reading at the moment consists of Vonnegut, i'm going to try to get through his works... Love his sci-fi stuff, even tho i don't usually do sci-fi... Just got done reading most of Anne Rice's books (Queen of the Damned made me curious)... I read King religiously, am anxiously awaiting the next Dark Tower book...

and there's always the fallback Grisham...

i'm not very creative in my author selection, i know...

:)
pnw
Nice to see you around again, Paul...

I've read a little Vonnegut (Monkey House) and really enjoyed it.
While you're waiting for the next Dark Tower, you might want to check out his latest collection of short stories: "Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales".
I picked it up last weekend and it's very good, so far.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Originally posted by wsteineker
Why Paul, how dare you say you're not creative in your selection. Vonnegut's a certified genius!
i certainly agree... just finished Bagambo Snuff Box, his early short-story collection... it's interesting to see how his writing developed in those early starving-author years... His theories on population control are very frightening, yet i wonder how long his fiction takes to become reality, in places like China and India... I read Welcome to the Monkey House when i was about 10 or so, and i can remember being horrified... yet stimulated... his best story is the one about the Handicapper General, tho i don't remember the name of it...

it's good to see another vonnegut fan :)

pnw
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Nice to see you around again, Paul...

I've read a little Vonnegut (Monkey House) and really enjoyed it.
While you're waiting for the next Dark Tower, you might want to check out his latest collection of short stories: "Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales".
I picked it up last weekend and it's very good, so far.
thank you, i've been a little ill lately so haven't posted much... See above for Monkey House :) I would up reading Everything's Eventual the week it came out... Good blend of reflective stories with all-out horror stories, as i think he says in the prologue...

Do you know the Dark Tower series well? I finally got around to reading The Talisman and then Black House (the sequel) recently, and they tie in very well... I'd almost say Black House is a DT book, in general. Also see Insomnia, where the Crimson King is introduced... Another character tie-in... It's really interesting to step back and look at the big picture King is painting... I'm a little afraid when the story of the Tower is done, he'll retire... it's certainly coming to a conclusion soon, i think... Seems like his masterpiece is almost finished :(

:)
pnw
 

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
Sweet!

For those of you who might be concerned, I JUST MADE MEMBER! Ok ok, it's not like I'm over 500 or anything, but we all have to start somewhere. :)
 

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
727
0
Montgomery, AL
Krossfyter's picture made me feel like i was watching a train wreck. I wanted to look away. Hell, I knew I should have looked away. Yet, for some unknown reason, I still had to stare for a bit. I'm sickened, and I'm not quite sure if it's me or kross. Oh well.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
i like christine by stephen king
many of the textbooks from school, really ;-)
the bible written by god? men inspired by god? or men? or all of the above
the almanac
the sports almanac
the guinness book of world records
publications by princeton review regarding the educational field
mac bible
repairing and upgrading computers by scott mueller

and
macworld...this is not a book , buy hey:D

cool thread, rower!
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel


thank you, i've been a little ill lately so haven't posted much... See above for Monkey House :) I would up reading Everything's Eventual the week it came out... Good blend of reflective stories with all-out horror stories, as i think he says in the prologue...

Do you know the Dark Tower series well? I finally got around to reading The Talisman and then Black House (the sequel) recently, and they tie in very well... I'd almost say Black House is a DT book, in general. Also see Insomnia, where the Crimson King is introduced... Another character tie-in... It's really interesting to step back and look at the big picture King is painting... I'm a little afraid when the story of the Tower is done, he'll retire... it's certainly coming to a conclusion soon, i think... Seems like his masterpiece is almost finished :(

:)
pnw
I'm not as familiar with the DT series as I'd like to be...I've only read 1, 2 and 4, and only once at that. I'm pretty sure that I've read just about everything else he's done though (even the Richard Bachman stuff).

It's hard to say if he'll stop...writing seems to be such a part of his life. He was writing from his hospital bed after he got hit by a car for Pete's sake!
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


I'm not as familiar with the DT series as I'd like to be...I've only read 1, 2 and 4, and only once at that. I'm pretty sure that I've read just about everything else he's done though (even the Richard Bachman stuff).

It's hard to say if he'll stop...writing seems to be such a part of his life. He was writing from his hospital bed after he got hit by a car for Pete's sake!
Oh, man, i couldn't live without the DT series. I'm starting the series again, halfway through Gunslinger. A friend in HS got me started (hooked)... Now the bookstores in the area know to dread me, because i always come in and beg to know when the next one will be out... Now he's set a release date, and I'm just chomping at the bit. Very true about his writing... I don't know if he could actually stop... it kind of sustains him... but i wonder if he doesn't have other things in mind.

I saw an interview with him recently, and it turns out the nurses in the hospital where he recovered were *forbidden* to mention Annie Wilkes, Misery, or "I'm your Number 1 Fan!" lol... how creepy would that be...

:)
pnw
 

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
9,594
3
serendipity
vonnegut
john irving
jd salinger (i only recently read catcher in the rye-amazing and started some of this short stories)...

i start a lot of books and then don't finish. cause i'm a freak.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Originally posted by krossfyter


ummm i am male.


im just messing around here buddy. :D
So your tastes in the opposite sex actually go a little farther than most....

Next time a little warning, please.:eek:

Maybe even your own thread: Macs and Shock Photos
 

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
3,153
0
I'm going to pretend I didn't see kross's image and continue with the thread at hand.

As for books,I like books that are on a real epic scale. Dune, Lord of the Rings and Foundation are my favorite books from recent times. As for classics, The Iliad and the Odyssey.
 

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
4,297
0
secret city
Originally posted by dukestreet


So your tastes in the opposite sex actually go a little farther than most....

Next time a little warning, please.:eek:

Maybe even your own thread: Macs and Shock Photos


nah man..... its a JOKE.

a joke man...a joke. i just posted that up for the hell of it. my intention was not to show for or against my sexual preference. since when does someones sexual preference or taste become questioned by putting up a joke pic.
everyone lighten up. chill out. a joke is only to be taken on a certain level. we shouldnt go any deeper.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.