Macs cheaper than PCs; it's official!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Is that also factoring the unit cost, or just maintenance costs?? I know more then a few systems that have only needed an hour or three maintenance over the past year or two.

I worked on a woman's home system over a year ago, and just recently had to work on it again... Total amount of time for the latest repair... 2 hours, which is $150 if you must know :D. That should drive those numbers way down... :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Is that also factoring the unit cost, or just maintenance costs?? I know more then a few systems that have only needed an hour or three maintenance over the past year or two.

I worked on a woman's home system over a year ago, and just recently had to work on it again... Total amount of time for the latest repair... 2 hours, which is $150 if you must know :D. That should drive those numbers way down... :D
Looks like unit cost:
The study was conducted at Melbourne University's Faculty of the Arts, which uses 4,676 Macs and 5,338 Wintel machines. It compared direct costs such as hardware and software for desktops and mobile computers, servers and peripherals, upgrades, service and support and depreciation. It also examined the indirect costs of supporting end-users, training time and non-productive downtime.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Non-productive down time must have killed the peecee numbers :D... I hope that they didn't use the same life-span terms, since everyone knows that Mac's have a longer usable life-span. Upgrades must have also done a number to the peecee's... just think about the cost of going from win2k to xp *shudder*.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
It's the same with most things in life. You pay an initial higher cost, and get your moneys worth through quality and reliability.

That that, whoever says macs are more expensive :D