.Mac's dirty mind and naughty words - the real reason for the switch to MobileMe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flyinmac, Jun 11, 2008.

1. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I've posted here since this isn't really a technical post, and since the reader will need a bit of humor (if you are easily offended, stop reading here).

I've learned the real reason for the move to MobileMe.

Apparently, Apple has been unable to control .Mac's naughty behavior. It seems that .Mac has developed a bit of an attitude and quite a sense of humor. A dirty sense of humor, but a sense of humor none the less.

In the wake of the MobileMe transition, I decided to go ahead and pay for a full version of .Mac. I've been using the trial version, but decided to set up a full version under a completely different user name.

The primary use I have for .Mac / MobileMe is iDisk. Actually, that's my only reason for getting it. But, I figured that if I was going to get an e-mail with it anyway, that I'd rather have .Mac than .me.

So, I signed-up now so that I'd know my e-mail address would be at .Mac.

That brings me to my rather shocking surprise. Upon registering, I then proceeded to setup iDisk again with my new account. Along with that, I decided to tell iDisk (in my system preferences) that I wanted to put a password on my public folder.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I decided to see what passwords it would suggest to me. So, I clicked the button for password suggestions in the dialog box (under passwords for public folder).

There, I got quite a surprise. .Mac revealed it has a rather dirty mind and threw a lot of rather suggestive passwords my way. One of them was so bad that I couldn't dream of posting it (a bit racial - don't ask, I won't repeat that one).

So, while not complete, here is a list of actual password suggestions from .Mac for my iDisk account (obviously, I chose something that was not on the list).

Here you go... Enjoy:

boob93)hoagy (is this a new kind of hoagie/hoagy sandwich??? I'll let you draw your own mental picture)

smut307!Cleo (Write your own joke here)

Elise8'poke (is that 8 feet???)

I'll leave the rest of the suggestions below for you to fill in your own meaning.

bush893-moan

imml98/boobs

kink76@hayed

sex69}slacks

mount5-naked (obviously)

balls19!hung

slave2@kicks

spew97(nukes

pukes21_USDA

prowl95\peep

Honestly, all of the above were actually suggested by the iDisk password box for password protecting your public iDisk folder.

I was a bit surprised.

I was beginning to wonder if Apple had turned .Mac into an adult site.

I guess the setting was correct, those would be "memorable" passwords.

2. David G. macrumors 6502a

I don't want to believe you but if those are truly true (yes I now I'm being redundant) then :eek::eek::eek::eek:. And for good measure,:eek::eek::eek:

3. bbbensen macrumors 6502

...........?

:confused:

Are you sure you werent on some adult website..

4. flyinmac thread starter macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Sadly it is true. I'm just not that original.

I emailed the list to my wife for her amusement. Then, I thought I just had to share the list with everyone here.

I copied and pasted them straight into the e-mail to her, and then from the e-mail to her into the posting here for you all.

I wish I could take the credit for those. I've never created such imaginative passwords. I was quite surprised at what .Mac proposed, and I just couldn't resist sharing them with someone.

It might be an interesting experiment to see what different people's Mac's propose and put together a fun list here :p

My Mac is a bit shy at the moment. Must be ashamed of itself. I just went back in, and the best it threw at me was:

ogle6'Annie

joys93&kinky (that's just gross - sorry no kink at 93)

peed29*weeny

mecum21\rush

pizza7"pubes

I guess it gave me it's best material earlier. Wish I had thought to do screen grabs. But, I only did a quick copy and paste to send to my wife. Then, thought, I should post the list for you all, but had already closed all the windows by the time that thought occurred to me.

I wonder what it might come up with tomorrow.

Perhaps everyone should go in there and mess around and see what their Mac comes up with.

Post your list here :D

5. flyinmac thread starter macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Quite sure. But, then I was beginning to wonder. If my .Mac and iDisk wasn't working so well, I'd be wondering if I signed-up at the wrong site.

But, I've got full .Mac. And, full synchronization going. So, I know I got the real thing.

If I didn't have to take care of kids all day, I'd have just found a new way to pass the time. I could amuse myself by just looking at password suggestions.

If only I could have the Mac read them off to me so I could run around the house and listen to the list. But, then the kids would probably start saying things they shouldn't. That wouldn't be very good.

Could I sue Apple for .Mac teaching my kids bad words????

For those that want to see what their mac might come up with, I had mine set to show "Memorable" and had the number setting at 12 (I think it was 12 for difficulty level). Both settings were the default settings.

And, this is in the system preferences under .Mac, iDisk, and then the password protect public folder, and then the key icon when you get where you can enter passwords.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Oh, it's worse than that. This has been a little-known feature of OS X for some time. It ain't .Mac specific - you get the same issue whenever using the password suggestion feature, for instance on a local user account password.

On the basis that 'if there's no screenshot, it didn't happen', here's a relatively mild selection... :D

Attached Files:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a password generator it works

They're certainly memorable!

8. flyinmac thread starter macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That is quite weird.

I find it amusing that Apple's operating system would suggest words that would get me banned if I used them on Apple's own discussion site.

Well, actually, their site would just star them out (censoring them). But, it's funny that they wouldn't use a filtering system to keep certain words out of their suggestions.

I know they can't censor your computer. But, they could filter what their software will suggest to you.

This is just too funny.

I was never expecting to see those suggestions. I guess it's good that I'm not easily offended. If I were, Apple would probably have gotten a nasty phone call.

Suddenly, I realize I could have opened a can of worms. Now all the activists will clog Apple's phone lines tomorrow. Surely that will be the day my system breaks. And, I'll be unable to get any assistance because the lines will all be busy.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I had one of these the other night... I'm never ordering the Meat Feast again :eek:

10. flyinmac thread starter macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yeah, I think I got one of those in a Pepperoni Pizza last month (took a bite and had hair sticking out the middle of the crust. The rest of the pizza went in the garbage.

You know, I think I might never order from them again. That was just nasty.