Macs (particularly 2011 iMacs) Freezing Due to Lion + Videos (reported by 9to5)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Jul 28, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

2. rpmucha23 macrumors newbie

Same problem with my 2011 27" i7 iMac, after i upgraded to Lion.

One thing i noticed is that it freezes on youtube/flash videos after the computer has woke up from sleep. It doesn't do it after a fresh boot/reboot.

3. macdudesir, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

macdudesir macrumors 6502

Doesn't happen to me, guess I'm just lucky...I just did the upgrade no clean install here so idk I've never really had problems with lion at all :) I'm sorry for all of you that do have the problem though it really is a shame...I have a 2011 iMac by the way.

4. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Hm

So far so good with my 2009 i7 27" iMac - BUT I never, ever sleep the machine. It's either on or it's off.

5. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This particular problem seems to afflict 2011 iMacs. Previous iMacs seem unaffected.

6. pawelthegreat macrumors member

pawelthegreat

Just wanted to chime in that I also experience this problemm on my iMac 2011. I have yet to try Lion on my MBP because of the bugs experienced thus far including this one.

However I believe this is also an iMac-only or -mainly issue.

Hopefully 10.7.1 comes along early next week or so:)

7. Catastrophe. macrumors member

Catastrophe.

Same thing's happening to me after sleep-mode >.>

8. fabytmHD macrumors regular

I thought I am the only one who has this problem.It's usually happening when I try to watch an embedded YouTube video...

9. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have a mid-2011 27" i5 iMac. I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" to Lion. I've played with Lion a bit at the local Apple store and to be honest, I was underwhelmed. For now I will be content to stick with SL.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

It happened to me about an hour ago while trying to open Joystiq.com. Something on it crashed Chrome and then the rest of the computer froze up shortly after (except for the mouse). Had to hard reset.

2011 iMac with Lion.

11. AllStarCelica macrumors newbie

ive absolutely been having the same issue. for me, it's not necessarily a sleep mode issue. but it very often happens (about 10-20% of the time) when i launch an embedded YouTube video or just watch a video off of their site. it only started happening after the Lion upgrade too.

im very happy these forums exist :) i was nervous i was having an isolated issue

12. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Same here, 27" Core i7
    Is this just an issue after waking from sleep? Seems to be for me.
    I might get into the habit of switching off when not in use, the SSD makes start up pretty rapid anyway

Roll on the first point update

13. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I can't seem to pinpont when exactly it happens (sleep or not seems to not matter), but it definitely happens 1 or 2 times a day now. ****** ********

14. rikbrown macrumors regular

Same, had it a couple of times - both with Flash videos.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Luckily no sudden or frequent freeze for me, even on flash videos.

But after using lion, GPU temp is kinda high when not gaming or editing. And also startup/shutdown time feels a bit longer than snow leopard used to.

I have 3.4Ghz i7 iMac w/ 6970m of course

16. raver001 macrumors newbie

raver001

Yeah had this happen to me for the first time last night.. I hope they come out with a fix soon. I have also noticed my mac getting very hot since updating to Lion.

17. The Cat Empire macrumors member

Same thing happens to me except I'm on a Mac Pro and I never set my system to sleep.

It's not an iMac-only bug.

It pisses me off though.

18. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This issue is truly getting obnoxious. I have to force restart my iMac multiple times a week. If this were any other computer company, we'd all find this utterly inexcusable. The fact that Apple knew about this issue during Lion Beta is more salt on an open wound. I don't know how this wasn't addressed before Lion was let loose.

19. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

If users are so keen to install the first release of a new OS then unfortunately the flip side is you'll run into these early teething problems. I cannot think of any major OS release that does not experience these kind of issues. I'm running Snow Leopard which is rock solid so I saw no reason to jump blindly into upgrading to Lion - I have a free upgrade code, however I'll wait for a couple of releases before upgrading my OS.

20. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

For those people with machine that came with Lion, it’s not possible to go back to Snow Leopard as easily as those of us with SL disk.

I'm also on SL after a week of unsuccessfully trying to get WIFI to work in Lion.

I can see Lion with all the current bugs coursing poor impressions on people switch to mac the fist time.

21. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Obviously for those people whose machines came with Lion pre-installed have every right to be annoyed with respect to the bugs. My comments were aimed squarely at those who rushed to be first in line to install Lion over a solid Snow Leopard OS and then complain about it's inevitable short falls.

22. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Apple knew about this issue before Lion was officially released. It was reported in the beta builds. They didn't fix it, or didn't properly test what they might have thought was a fix, before releasing it to the public. Granted, first builds will have problems, but this is one that they knew about, and is quite major. The computer freezes upon waking when running any sort of video and video-related programs (QuickTime, iMovie, etc.). It's quite a major flaw. First adopters are the ones who take the risks, yes, but this is one that could have been resolved before release.

In any case, .1 needs to come out soon.

23. danp macrumors member

My situation is as follows: 2011 21.5" iMac BTO i7 2.8GHz, purchased with Snow Leopard, upgraded to Lion. Since installing Lion it freezes on any video playback following a sleep/wake cycle. I've disabled sleep/wake for the time being.

I submitted a bug report on the issue, posted feedback to Apple and even resorted to a cheeky e-mail to Mr Jobs on the assumption one of his minions might pick it up.

I also filed a complaint with the App Store regarding Lion. As I see it, I paid for a defective product that has resulted in a reduction in functionality to what I enjoyed previously. I stated, "in the absence of any official statement of intent by Apple to deliver a fix for this issue, I wish to request a full refund of the purchase price for Lion as it does not function as expected." Worth a try, right?

And you know what? It was. A very kind App Store Customer Support staffer e-mailed me today to confirm I will receive a full refund for Lion.

I find it odd that they would so easily agree to the refund, but there we are. I also find it strange that Apple would rather give me the money back than acknowledge the issue officially and let me know a fix is coming.

But I can't complain with the customer service, so I'm happy again.

24. danp macrumors member

Whilst I respect your right to hold this opinion, I find it hard to see from your perspective on this one.

Bottom line, Apple were happy to take my money for Lion and therefore have a duty of care to ensure that what they provide is fit for sale. Had the upgrade been free or discounted for early adoption in some way then I'd be more inclined to agree, but it isn't.

Paying customers deserve something that works and the "it isn't ready" excuse doesn't hold water, unfortunately.

It seems Apple also see it my way, as I've been granted a full refund of the purchase price of Lion (see previous post).

25. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

What you say is all very well in theory but the reality is always different and generally "flakey" first releases are accepted as the norm (and that isn't ever going to change). You couldn't even challenge this in a law court as Lion currently works well enough and Apple will demonstrate intent to fix and patch it's failings in future updates.

I work in video post production and we use multiple platforms and software packages such as FCP, Adobe Creative Suite, Flame, Smoke, Pro Tools etc. We would never install any new versions of software / first release immediately on release - it will always have some major bugs (hell, six months after release some software still have these bugs). It took us at least six months to move from Leopard to Snow Leopard as why would we jeopardise a solid OS for the sake of some new functionality that will, in all probability, take that long to actually be utilised by the 3rd party software applications.

Lion is currently a first release, as I said, it works well enough but personally I'll likley wait until revision 3 before installing it on my home system. By that time many (not all) of the issues will be sorted, drivers updated (if needed) and 3rd party apps will have caught up with the new OS and mean while I will have enjoyed a problem free Snow Leopard OS. For those who installed it within hours / days of release, well it's just a little naive to expect everything to "just work" as it most certainly won't.