Macs shipped with parts of other Macs?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by joepa99, Sep 3, 2009.

1. joepa99 macrumors newbie

Is there a collectors market for machines accidentally shipped by Apple that contain parts from other Macs?

I bought a refurbished 13" MBP from Apple Online, but the glass on the screen reads, "Macbook" instead of, "MacBook Pro". "MacBook" is clearly centered on the bottom of the glass.

I was going to go to an Apple Store to have this looked at, but a friend said it might be work more in its current condition.

Thoughts?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

apple released a 13" unibody macbook before it became mac book pro. (it looks identical to a mac book pro but has different specs...)

3. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I don't think it will add value in the sense of making it a collectors item. I think it would be more a hinderance in it's resale value personally. A lot of parts can be interchangeable especially for refurbs.

4. joepa99 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I know I have the MBP

My machine has the SD card slot, FW800, etc, so I know that every part of the machine is a MBP except for the glass on the screen.

Back to my original question. Would this be of any value for a collector?

ipete: I replied before I saw yours. I'm taking the safe route and getting it replaced.

5. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

If its a part swap that anyone could have done (hypothetically) at home, then I don't believe it becomes more collectable - unless you can prove the "provenance" - and then only in 20 or 30 years when those machines are no longer available, and only if you can find someone who has made a hobby of collecting every single version of the Mac Book Pro. But, you would have to be able to prove that it came from the factory that way and was not a "do it yourself" glass swap.

IF the part in questions was only made for a week, then you might have a collectable. But I suspect the glass is a common item. If there was an Apple seal that showed the computer had never ever been opened, then you would have evidence that this was a factory issue.

So, it sounds like you have already started the repair. Have no regrets.... I don't think you will find it would have been worth more unrepaired.

7. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Is the keyboard backlit?

8. joepa99 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

So they used glass from a refurb macbook in a mbp... I don't think it boosts the value to much, even if it was legit.

10. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Exactly refurbs are exactly that "refurbs" that can be made up from spares from other macs. No extra value at all ;)

11. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

DONT GET IT FIXED.
    PERIOD.
    Do you know the value that machine will have in some years?!
    Apple is known to be perfect, and you have one of their screw ups.
    Trust me. It WILL be worth it.

12. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You can just swap in a MacBook LCD (they use the same connection) and it will appear to be the same as this guy's.