MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Scattered reports from readers, indicate that Macs have started showing up at Best Buys.

Sterling, VA: Setting up new Macs. Had 12", 17" PowerBooks, iBooks, PowerMacs, eMacs, iMacs and 17" LCD.

Bloomingdale, IL: Everything but the 17" Powerbook. Not on shelves, but boxes were stacked. - MacGuy283

San Carlos, CA: eMac, iMac and PowerMac with 17" LCD. No special Apple Section. "I didn't see any sign of an Apple employee or an Apple software but I am sure the store is still in the process of setting everything up as the products had no specs and the prices were handwritten." -- jgivens12.

Our previous report indicated that a limited roll-out would begin with stores focused in California and Illinois, as well as scattered other states. Official launch date remains in August.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I know a Best Buy employee. Wonder if the employee discount applies to Apple stuff...

This is a good thing for Apple, IMO. Good way to get the average consumer to notice that there is a better, prettier option. :D

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Just for clarification, Power mac obviously means G4 right? Otherwise everything sounds good besides the fact that they might not be in their own separate area. However, I have not personally decided whether that would be good or bad anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me right now.

jgivens12

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Powermac

Come on man of course Powermac means G4. Do you really think Best Buy would be the first to receive the G5???? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, just seems kinda funny

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Powermac

Originally posted by jgivens12
Come on man of course Powermac means G4. Do you really think Best Buy would be the first to receive the G5???? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, just seems kinda funny

I guess I said it wrong. I was just pointing out a possible source of ambiguity for newbies because the processor had not been specified. Of course it is not the G5. Don't worry. :)

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by P-Worm
Wow, this happened fast. I hope it turns out well.

P-Worm

I second that sentiment. Hopefully, the third time's the charm. Best Buy originally carried Performas and stuff back in the Amelio days, and then they were the first to be axed by Steve Jobs when he returned. Then Best Buy came crawling back to get a piece of the iMac frenzy, only to leave again when it couldn't even sell iMacs even when they practically sell themselves. And now they've come crawling back again to get a piece of the iPod business, and now, apparently, the Mac business.

I'm not holding my breath.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by chipchen
another questions is... does this mean best buy will now stock mac software?

Sounds like they are going to stock major software... toast, photoshop, final cut, keynote etc....

not sure if they will stock others though

arn

pourhadi

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
Bloomingdale

Woohoo! I live five minutes walking distance from the Bloomingdale Best Buy!

notEven

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2003
this is nothing but good news. so stoked. i think the best buy here in san francsico is pretty decent.. at least it's much better than the compUSA here... and there's parking (such a rarity here). not sure of their finance plan, but i'm hoping it's of the "0% for a year" type... i think i'm still paying for my ti400, but a dual gig is too tempting.

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Anyone ask if Best Buy's same-as-cash purchase plans will apply to Apple computer products? That could be a big incentive to potential buyers. No interest for up to 18 months on qualifying purchases and no interest up to 24 (with monthly payments) or something insane like that.

Sure beats Apple's plan or CompUSA's, "Our no interest policy applies to Apple sometimes plan."

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
uh oh

This is great for those who are already Apple fans who don't live near an Apple store. Otherwise, I don't know that this is such a great idea.

I think they should only bother trying to sell the "i" line (and emacs) because there is no way in hell they are going to sell PowerMac G4s. Anybody who thinks Best Buy is a good place to buy a computer is looking for a bargin - which in Wintel world means getting the "fastest" chip in the cheapest box.

Plus, have you ever tried asking for sales assistance or buying advice from someone at Best Buy? The sales people are 16 year olds who just want to collect their discount and take as many breaks as possible. They will never suggest that someone buy a Mac. "Do you know how many more games you can buy for a PC?!?!?!?"

I read that Apple is going to staff the Best Buys with their own sales people, but for how long?

Good luck.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
CompUSA is staffed with Apple reps--permanently--and just one makes a big difference. Best Buy should be no different.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
this is good, Apple needs to have its products in more places if its to grow its market. Perhaps they could get their stuff back in Sears, consumer line in Walmart etc. If not most of the world will continue with windblows.

c2kvette

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
I think putting Macs in Best Buy is a good move. Not too sure about Sears, especially Wal-Mart. But if this is going to succeed they will HAVE to stock Mac software - no one is going to buy a computer at a store that carries no software.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Spammit! It was Bloomingdale, not Bloomington, IL! Too bad, I would have enjoyed playing with the Macs in the Bloomington Best Buy.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Careful

I wonder how Apple care will work? At Best Buy they always try to sell you thier "Extended Service Plan" which is a scam! Made 60 minutes if I recall correctly. I just hope the average Joe buying his/her first Mac doesn't "opt" for the Best Buy Plan vs. Apple Care and get burned. This worries me. Other than that I hope Apple does well by providing more exposure of thier products.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
CompUSA is messy in Memphis

Originally posted by nagromme
CompUSA is staffed with Apple reps--permanently--and just one makes a big difference. Best Buy should be no different.

At the CompUSA here in Memphis TN the Apple area of the store is always in disarray, looks like crap and I have never, not once, seen an Apple rep in the store. I hope this is not the case in other CompUSA's perhaps my area is different because we have an Apple Store near buy (Saddlecreek) In any case I am worried that Apple will not be represented properly if I am to assume my local CompUSA is the normal model. How does the Apple area of CompUSA look in your City?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'll have to go check it out today and see what they have. I'm going to be very curious about the software too. Having the 'major' apps is one thing, but if you've ever walked through the PC game section at BestBuy you'd have a hard time *not* finding what you want. If the same goes for Apple SW that will be great.

The only problem I see is the extra room that it will take up. We might not see all that much at first.

D

dnedrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
CompUSA is NOT staffed by Apple employees

CompUSA stores are staffed via outsourced employees, NOT by Apple employees.

I know, because I was offered a job at a CompUSA here in Columbus, OH. Not as an Apple employee, but as an employee of the oursourcing firm meaning no Apple discounts and no CompUSA discounts. It was all the way on the other side of the city and things came up at my fulltime job that prevented my taking on a parttime job.

However, there is a Best Buy five minutes from where I worked. I actually worked there for a few months during the Xmas season.

If the employees are actually Apple employees, that would be extremely nice and convenient for me as a part time job.

dadaist

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2003
Chicago area
Just got a call from the Aurora, IL store

And they're setting up iBooks and G4 towers right NOW.

Funny how the Chicago area is one of the "test markets" with 3 Apple Stores already, a few CompUSA locations carrying Macs, 2 MicroCenter locations carrying Macs, and a 4th Apple Store under construction in Skokie....

Vic

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2001
BB's will use Apple People

I checked Apple's Job Listings for the towns where BBs are located in my market and each one was listed. However, there were no positions available in any of the towns. When I was in my hometown BB, I had a BB guy search their inventory and there was Apple products listed to be available on 8/3. That makes sense as BB starts their sales on Sunday when their flyers hit the papers.

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Re: CompUSA is messy in Memphis

Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
At the CompUSA here in Memphis TN the Apple area of the store is always in disarray, looks like crap and I have never, not once, seen an Apple rep in the store.

...ummm, it's not just the Apple area in the Memphis Store that is messed up, the whole store is in disarray. The last time I was in there, maybe three weeks ago, they were moving the shelves to go diagonal to the walls.

Aisle naming doesn't always match the product type on the shelves.

Software for the Mac is frequently mixed in with the peasea stuff.

Hardware for the Mac is frequently mixed in with the peasea stuff.
=-=
I have seen an Apple rep in the Memphis store, in the Apple section, several times, but not recently. He was setting up the computers on the shelves. I guess he has not been there for a few months. He needs to return and overhaul the Apple section. He needs to search out the software titles and hardware pieces that work on a Mac and put those on the proper allocated shelves ...

... in the Apple section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.