MacWorld Boston... 2004?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
While the East Coast MacWorld 2003 appears to be set in New York, Business Today reports that Boston is still being considered for future expos. Charlie Greco, labeled "trade show czar" is considering moving MacWorld expo as well as LinuxWorld to Boston:

Greco told the Herald that his offer to bring LinuxWorld as well as MacWorld to Boston is a move to up the ante before a planned summit with Mayor Thomas M. Menino next week.

High hotel costs are listed as one hurdle against the move back.

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Oh please, Boston? Give me a break. WHY????? San Francisco makes sense, as it's just up the peninsula from Cupertino and it is the center of the Bay Area, and the Bay Area is the center of high technology. New York makes sense because it's the most important city in the country. Boston is.....*nothing*. Hell if they are going to have it in Boston they might as well consider Cleveland......

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Hmm, Boston is nothign eh? Maybe Macworld ORIGINATED IN BOSTON you dolt! Try to get down to NYC for MacWorld, it's a bitch. Boston would be SO much easier to get to for TONS of people.

BEN

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I'll be totally up front I work in the center of NYC and live in Jersey but that being said. How can TONS more people get to Boston?

MWNY: Travel

Newark International Airport (train @ the airport directly to the city)
Kennedy International Airport (cab or bus to the city)
Laguardia Airport (cab or bus or subway to the city)

NYC has tons of hotels and if you were smart you could book one on the Jersey side and take a two minute ferry over to the Javits and save a few bucks.

What I'd really like to hear from are folks who travel to the east from say the SOUTH or WEST or International since people like us are gonna fight all day when the fact is getting to either place isn't exactly hard for us.

Dave

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by DaveGee
I'll be totally up front I work in the center of NYC and live in Jersey but that being said. How can TONS more people get to Boston?

MWNY: Travel

Newark International Airport (train @ the airport directly to the city)
Kennedy International Airport (cab or bus to the city)
Laguardia Airport (cab or bus or subway to the city)

NYC has tons of hotels and if you were smart you could book one on the Jersey side and take a two minute ferry over to the Javits and save a few bucks.

What I'd really like to hear from are folks who travel to the east from say the SOUTH or WEST or International since people like us are gonna fight all day when the fact is getting to either place isn't exactly hard for us.

Dave
It is called the "Big Dig" in Boston, and quite frankly when they are done getting in and out of Boston will be easy.
While I haven't perused the plans for the Big Dig, it would not suprise me to fine you could fly into Logan and take a subway, or bus directly to the convention center.

I'd rather go to Boston than NYC :]

macmanager

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
Mexico
Great!

I used to go to Boston every year. I went once to NY and then started going to SF in rainy January. I love San Francisco, but I think going back to Boston would be a smart move.

Boston is a great city and for me, more fun than NY. I love SF, but they should move MacWorld in SF a couple of weeks later so it is not so close to New Years.

I have to fly for about 5 hours to get to either one anyway.

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by saabmp3
Maybe Macworld ORIGINATED IN BOSTON you dolt!

BEN
Yes, and then they realized the poor choice they made....:eek:

P.S. Okay I'll give you this, Boston is better than Cleveland;)

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by macsurfer

Yes, and then they realized the poor choice they made....:eek:
I think it was partly because there no one Expo center in Boston that could hold the whole expo. Now Boston has a new 800 million dollar Expo center. I think it would be a good move.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Boston

What's the name of that school in Boston where the kids seem to know a little something about computers? Oh yeah, MIT. Cambridge, not Boston but still. I have been all over and Boston is just about my favorite city in the world, that's why I choose to live here. I will be thrilled if MacWorld returns.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Don't worry, bostons the best, far superior to New York, its just that macsurfers from new york, and he's right to be updset bout that. oston is about a thousand times better, its much more apropriate for Apple'sprojected image, refined and dignified among slobs

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
How about MW Austin (Texas). The sole reason that I live there should be enough :D. There are a lot of semiconductor companies in Austin.... maybe MW Austin could be semiconductor oriented. And they could at least open an apple store in austin! People in Austin tend to like Macs, and the population is growing - they should buy a lot downtown while it is still cheap, then in 5 years the population will be really big and they will be selling a lot. An apple store on the UT campus would do really well. iBooks would sell to college students really well. Damnit I always get my hopes up :).

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am all for Boston. It is a great city, and I would consider moving there. NYC is great, but Boston has charm to me that NYC does not have.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by peterjhill
I am all for Boston. It is a great city, and I would consider moving there. NYC is great, but Boston has charm to me that NYC does not have.
As someone born in New York let me be the first to say.

[in my Italian heavy accented voice - and grabing my crotch]

Hey! You want friggin charm?!? I got you friggin charm RIGHT HERE. :D

Now I ask you where else but good old NYC (and maybe Philly if you're in the right part of town) would that type of response be a normal form of expression? :cool:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
For those that say it would be better because Boston is easy for TONS of people to get to...dude Boston is tiny. it can't even hold it's own population. that's why they are forced to build the freeway under the city. the traffic is terrible, yes probably worse than NYC. i like Boston but it's not a major city like NY. keep it here.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by tjwett
dude Boston is tiny. it can't even hold it's own population. that's why they are forced to build the freeway under the city. the traffic is terrible, yes probably worse than NYC. i like Boston but it's not a major city like NY. keep it here.
wow i didnt know that the freeway ran under the city. still knowing how
boston is known for it's beautiful city and their tremendous efforts to
preserve the heritage, are you sure it wasn't because the freeway's
would be to damaging to their city image if the freeway's went right
through the center of town? If they had the freeway topside they would
of had to tear down historical landmarks. They have great pride in the
history of boston....I think most americans do, I think that is why they
didnt destroy there city to make way for a freeway.

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Look, the two most important cities in the country are NYC and L.A. (D.C. being it's own special category as it is the seat of our federal government). Of those two, NYC is #1 and L.A. is #2. I moved to NYC from L.A. three years ago. Personally I could only live in one or the other. NYC is THE MOST IMPORTANT CITY IN THE COUNTRY HANDS DOWN FLAT OUT NO ARGUMENTS. It is the cultural and financial center of the United States. NYC is in a top category of world cities. NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles. You get the idea. Why do you think it was targeted last year? No one cares about blowing up Boston:rolleyes: .....but blow up NYC and the countries economy goes down hill VERY fast as well as the rest of the worlds business and economy getting screwed up. Blow up NYC and watch the worlds economy go into a tailspin. There's a reason NYC is known as the "Greatest City in the Country" and "The Greatest City in the World".

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by tjwett
For those that say it would be better because Boston is easy for TONS of people to get to...dude Boston is tiny. it can't even hold it's own population. that's why they are forced to build the freeway under the city. the traffic is terrible, yes probably worse than NYC. i like Boston but it's not a major city like NY. keep it here.
San DIego is also way small, but I went to a Cisco conference there this summer, and it was great. They are a perfect town for conferences. They have lots of hotels all around a new convention center, that is an excellent size. Within walking distance of all this are about 200 restaurants and 500 stores. (I'm talking about a five-ten minute walk). The town is super clean and is truly the friendliest city I have ever been too.

Boston has to be a ton bigger than San Diego. Boston is an interesting town, to me as interesting as NY. Part of the charm of Boston is that it is not as big as NY. Cambridge is totally cool. I can't remember the name of the long street there with all the restaurants and stores, but I had fun there.

NYC, don't get me wrong, I love NY. If the mayor of Boston gives some nice terms to the people who run MacWorld, I wouldn't blame them for moving it back.

BostonMJH

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Im happy to hear the Macworld my come back to Boston. I been too several Macworld Boston and loved them. Why did Macworld leave Boston, because we did not have a location big enough. You use to have to travel between the bayside exop and the world trade center (boston). Why I admit it was a little bit of a hassle, you were able to meet so many great people from around the country. As far attendance goes this year expo was about the same as the last one in Boston.

Would Boston be ready for MacWorld 2004? Boston will be ready in 2004, we will have the new convention center open and ready to go. The big dig will be done and traffic will be alot better. The Ted William tunnel connects logan airport to South Boston right at the convention center.

Yes to all the NYC fans, Boston is much smaller ( Walking City). But Boston has a charm all it's own. From all the people who I have talked to use to come from all over the country would combine there vacation with the trip to the expo. Besides Boston there are so many places to go that are within an hours or so drive from the city. Historical places like Lexington, Concord, Plymouth, Quincy and Cambridge. Places with the New England charm like Rockport and Salem.

Boston offers what you expext from a world class city.:D

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Alright before I began, let me start by stating that I'm a Mass-hole. But Boston is one of the easiest cities in the US to get around. It's not a small city and it's not NYC (the greatest city in the world). However Boston is one of the few cities that still has a baseball stadium in really in the city (Fenway Park), a NBA and NHL teams that play with the city, we also have an airport within the city (yes Logan Airport is in Boston). There has been a subway stop in Logan forever as well as water shuttles/taxis that shoot you across the Boston Harbor. I travel for a living (I'm in in out of Logan on average twice a week) and I go to a lot of conferences and Boston as a lot going for it (try dealing with the Unions in New York, Chicago or Detroit where plugging in a PC in convention hall requires three union electricians and takes about two hours to do (I kid you not).

Granted we have the big dig going on (the largest highway project in history), but few know that no road or business has closed because of the big dig, it's quite incredible. Traffic in Boston is no worst today (with the big dig) if not better than NYC or LA.

I think it's nice for the conference to go back home to Boston. Alright shouldn't we be talking about computers?

Oh yeah, I forgot Boston is also the home of the Super Bowl Champions, New England Patriots!!!!

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by whatever
But Boston is one of the easiest cities in the US to get around. However Boston is one of the few cities that still has a baseball stadium in really in the city (Fenway Park), a NBA and NHL teams that play with the city, we also have an airport within the city (yes Logan Airport is in Boston).
NYC is the most served by public transportation city in the United States. Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx borough. Shea stadium is in the borough of Queens. JFK and La Guardia are both in Queens. NYC is made up of FIVE boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. All five boroughs together make up NYC.

My point? The baseball stadiums and the airports are "in the city", and NYC is the easiest city to get around in without a car. Most New Yorkers don't even own cars.

mrMahann

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2002
another vote for boston

altho NYC is a world-class city, the question is whether its more appropriate for MW. since i don;t know that much of NYC, can't say. but, altho NYC can likely handle more people, boston can handle all teh macworlders that would show so its not an issue.

and, is it not a good thing to not be as much a terrorist target?

size: altho much smaller, boston has more than enuf stuff other than macstuff to see for one week of being there.

public transportation: again, don't know about NYC, but boston is great. you can get a 3 or 4 day pass and it takes care of the orange, blue, green and red lines (subway) and busses. not sure if the commuter rails are included, but that opens it up to RI to the NH border.

peterjhill: the long road in cambridge w/ the restaurants? would that be... massachusetts ave? <g> mass ave! goes from back bay in boston, over the chuck (how many smoots long is the mass ave bridge?), then thru part of MIT, to central sq, thru harvard sq, to porter sq and beyond. arlington, etc.

perhaps its best for NYC not to have a deathgrip on the east coast MW? every other, or every third year to boston? and maybe every 4th year to toronto? and, another vote for DC... its only a commuter rail ride from bawlamer, hon!