MacWorld Boston 2004

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
46,818
8,972
MacRumors has covered the ongoing rumors about moving MacWorld Expo from New York back to Boston... and according to BusinessToday, it appears to be a done deal:

Boston has beat out the Big Apple for the blockbuster 2004 Macworld show, which could pump tens of millions into the city's hard-hit economy.

Sources say IDG World Expo will bring the show back to the Hub from New York in a comeback win for Boston, which lost the show in a devastating pullout in 1998.
A press conference is expected on October 17th to publically announce the move.
 

xenocytekron

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2002
4
0
YAY!

now I can go every year!!

GO BOSTON!!!

PS. sorry to all you new yorkers, you had your chance :p
 

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
980
2
Charles City, Iowa
Re: YAY!

Originally posted by xenocytekron
now I can go every year!!

GO BOSTON!!!

PS. sorry to all you new yorkers, you had your chance :p
Makes no difference to me - I can't attend either way, because I live in the midwest. :D
 

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
134
0
Northeast U.S.
WOOHOO!

I too can just hop on the T and go (plus the small MW fee). Anyone know where this huge building is? I'd like to take a walk/ride to check it out asap.
 

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
2,517
0
Madison, Wi
good for Boston, I think it should be held a different place every year like the olympics.......
actually the olympics are not held every year and it would be a horrible idea, but maybe they were looking into safty issues with the Boston move.
 

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
868
0
Tacoma, WA
If you guys want to know where the actual building is, go on the service road out to logan (the one you would use if you were taking the ted willams tunnel to the airport). It's off to the water side of that. If you know where to look, it's really hard to miss. There's another small convention center near it where all of the college fairs are.

If you can afford to make it up to boston compared to NY, then your crazy. Boston hotel prices are cheaper (can be), travel is less (T is a buck while the metro is 1.50), and the airport is fine for getting people in and out. The airport is actually going to be closer to MW in Boston than it was in NY. I can't think of many things that go against this plan. That might just be cause I'm from the hub tho.

BEN
 

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
116
0
It was fun while it lasted...

...but I guess 2003 will be the last MacWorld I attend. Living in Philadelphia, MWNY made for a fun, low-cost day trip for me every year to see the keynote live. Traveling to Boston would be a costly, multi-day disruption to my life. I know, because I did it before, back in '95.

I don't understand why you Boston people are rejoicing, as if summer MacWorld has been held on the Moon since 1998 or something. It wasn't a hardship for me to get up super-early one day a year and take a 2-hour train ride from Philadelphia, why was hopping on an Amtrak from Boston apparently so tough for you?

~Philly
 

CRMarvin42

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2002
13
0
Lafayette, IN
This sucks Wicked bad

I've lived in mass My entire life and now that I move to Indiana for grad school Macworld moves back to Boston and I won't be able to go. This is the epitome of not cool.

But Boston "Should" have the big dig done by then.
 

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
980
2
Charles City, Iowa
Re: This sucks Wicked bad

Originally posted by CRMarvin42
I've lived in mass My entire life and now that I move to Indiana for grad school Macworld moves back to Boston and I won't be able to go. This is the epitome of not cool.

But Boston "Should" have the big dig done by then.
By who's estamites, it's been going on forever!! :rolleyes:
 

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
216
0
I don't understand why you Boston people are rejoicing
Well for me it's my first chance as a switcher to go to one. Now that it's in my backyard instead of a 3 hour train/car trip away, I'll totally go.

-psxndc
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
Re: It was fun while it lasted...

Originally posted by phillymjs
...but I guess 2003 will be the last MacWorld I attend. Living in Philadelphia, MWNY made for a fun, low-cost day trip for me every year to see the keynote live. Traveling to Boston would be a costly, multi-day disruption to my life. I know, because I did it before, back in '95.

I don't understand why you Boston people are rejoicing, as if summer MacWorld has been held on the Moon since 1998 or something. It wasn't a hardship for me to get up super-early one day a year and take a 2-hour train ride from Philadelphia, why was hopping on an Amtrak from Boston apparently so tough for you?

~Philly
Because I can afford to go to it in Boston. Also, I do not feel safe in NY.

Just my 2 cents...
 

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
133
0
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by saabmp3

and the airport is fine for getting people in and out.

BEN
Yeah especially terrorists......Logan Airport was rated as having the worst security in the nation...one of the reasons the terrorists chose Boston...Thanks alot Boston.....
 

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
133
0
NYC, L.A.
Re: Re: It was fun while it lasted...

Originally posted by Wyvernspirit


I do not feel safe in NY.

Just my 2 cents...
Boo Hoo. Thanks to Boston's airport, planes were hijacked (among other reasons). Feel safe at Logan do ya?
 

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
216
0
hold on there...

While yes, Logan has a terrible security record, let me clear something up: The hijackers boarded the planes in Maine, not in Logan. The planes stopped over in Logan but there are no security checks for anyone that stays on the plane, and that goes for all airports. Don't give me this "It's Logan's fault" bull****. How ***** childish are you to point fingers over something like that? As for what the poster said about feeling safe, NY and DC were the targets of the attack. 99% of the population probably feels the same way.
 

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
712
21
Massachusetts
Re: Re: Re: It was fun while it lasted...

Originally posted by macsurfer


Boo Hoo. Thanks to Boston's airport, planes were hijacked (among other reasons). Feel safe at Logan do ya?
Don't go to logan. Besides, if they're just stealing them from here and sending them elsewhere, I'm safe...

I hate ALL cities, including Boston, but I'd rather Boston then NYC. I don't know how some many people can live in such a small area...

on a side note, the big dig should be 95% or more done by 2004 so that shouldn't be a factor.

Why are you NYers complaining, you have everything else, let us have this. Well, I guess you don't have a choice.
 

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
133
0
NYC, L.A.
Re: hold on there...

Originally posted by psxndc
While yes, Logan has a terrible security record, let me clear something up: The hijackers boarded the planes in Maine, not in Logan. The planes stopped over in Logan but there are no security checks for anyone that stays on the plane, and that goes for all airports. Don't give me this "It's Logan's fault" bull****. How ***** childish are you to point fingers over something like that? As for what the poster said about feeling safe, NY and DC were the targets of the attack. 99% of the population probably feels the same way.
FYI smarty, let ME clear something up for YOU. ONLY TWO hijackers boarded a flight in Maine from which they THEN TRANSFERRED to AA 11. ALL THE REST of the hijackers (on AA 11 and all the hijackers who boarded UA 175) on those two flights BOARDED IN BOSTON.

Do your research.....
 

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
133
0
NYC, L.A.
Originally posted by penguin341


Whoever brought 9-11 into this is an idiot.
9-11 was brought up by the people saying that "safety considerations" were one of the reasons MWNY was moving as well as the person who says they "don't feel safe in NY" anymore.
 

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
216
0
Originally posted by macsurfer


9-11 was brought up by the people saying that "safety considerations" were one of the reasons MWNY was moving...
No one said this. One poster said they didn't feel safe in NY anymore and others turned it into a 9/11 issue.

As for where the hojackers came from, I'm not above admitting I was wrong. I thought they all came from maine. My apologies. Regardless, saying "It's Boston's fault" is bs. It's the US ****ty foreign policy that is to blame. That and fanatical lunatics that go against the teachings they claim to believe in.

-psxndc
 

BigBurd

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
81
0
The Beautiful Berkshires
my 2 cents' worth

I have no loyalty to either New York or Boston. In fact, travel to either city is just about equi-distant for me.

That said, I must tell you that I have been to MacWorld Expos in both cities and have found that the atmosphere in and around (especially around) the expo center (or in the case of Boston, centers) was much more stimulating in Boston. The New York expos that I attended seemed to have such a cold feeling (figuratively speaking) at the physical location of the building. (I know it was blisteringly hot, weather wise, last year!) It just felt like there was no character in that immediate area.

Anyway, I will go to New York next year and go to Boston in 2004. I just hope the new convention center in Boston has a lot of character in and around it.

Hope to see everyone there!