Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
56,546
19,292
Infoworld writes an article regarding the rumors surrounding "Macworld NY". They reference this site as well as Spymac.com.

The focus of the article, however, appears to be the Xserve and does contain some new information. One anonymous reseller reports that Xserve sales halted after the PowerMac G5 was announced.

The article also confirms previous rumors of deep discounts for developers on Xserves, hinting that Apple is trying to clear the channel.

The only rumors available have been relatively unconfirmed rumors regarding Xserve updates by September. One additional anonymous report that came in provides similar information with claims that there will be no Mac OS X 10.2.7 Server version... and instead the new G5 Xserve's will require Panther Server. According to these rumblings, Panther Server is expected shortly after Panther Client.
 

AtariST

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2003
10
0
Nice being mentioned, but I don't remember us publishing anything about PowerBooks at NY. :)
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
16,299
5,569
Originally posted by AtariST
Nice being mentioned, but I don't remember us publishing anything about PowerBooks at NY. :)

heh... it's funny what they pick out to reference. :)

arn
 

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
55
0
I'd still like to know if Panther is going to be a 64 bit operating system ..... MacWorld recently posted a story to the effect it wasn't going to be 64 bit..... but nobody else seems to care
 

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
55
0
I'd still like to know if Panther is going to be a 64 bit operating system ..... MacWorld recently posted a story to the effect it wasn't going to be 64 bit..... but nobody else seems to care
 

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
549
0
Brooklyn - NYC
no one's really concerned because there are no 64bit apps yet.

(shrug)

theres still a lot of time before it becomes an actual issue.
 

tgrundke

macrumors member
I find the report that XServe sales have all but stopped to be interesting. My greater concern is how the G5 announcement will impact other Apple sales, specifically iMacs and eMacs.

I think Apple finds itself in a precarious situation at the moment because the speed gap is so wide at the moment between Macintoshes and their Wintel counterparts. Anyone with half a brain knows that with a little bit of time, the G5 will make its way into all of Apple's products - and if demand slackens much for iMacs and such, we'll find the G5 in there sooner rather than later.

With that in mind, unless someone absolutely, positively *must* have a new computer, they're going to wait until the entire product line moves to the G5. I sure as hell know that I will.
 

ColdZero

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2002
163
0
How can it be 64-bit and run on a G4 or G3? It can't. Panther will be a 32-bit OS with code to allow calls to 64 bit addressing and stuff. It better be 32 bit otherwise Apple isn't going to be able to honor the OS Maintanaince agreement for the Xserve at work.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,088
4
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by ColdZero
How can it be 64-bit and run on a G4 or G3? It can't. Panther will be a 32-bit OS with code to allow calls to 64 bit addressing and stuff. It better be 32 bit otherwise Apple isn't going to be able to honor the OS Maintanaince agreement for the Xserve at work.
What general happens when an OS runs on both 32 and 64 bit processors is that there are different versions of the binaries that need to be different.

Boot code, memory management and interupts are the major subsystems with differences.

The OS can be 64 bit capable, yet run on a 32 bit processor. You just get different binaries for a few bits.
 

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
1,004
0
Oak Park, IL
Sure, the Xserve is all nice and stackable, but we want the freakin' Powerbook updates!
Then again, the you can stack Powerbooks, too...

Edit: I just actually read the article, and these people think Steve Jobs is delivering a keynote. They also mis-capitalize Xserve over and over again.
 

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
549
0
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Sure, the Xserve is all nice and stackable, but we want the freakin' Powerbook updates!
Then again, the you can stack Powerbooks, too...

Hehehe. I just want one...

WHY CAN'T I HAVE JUST ONE!

WHY GOD, WHY!?!
 

newworldempire

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
4
0
I'd like to see something on a competative level to IBM's own blade servers, but I can't imagine getting the new pmac's down to 1u without reducing the tempature down to absolute zero -_-'
On a humorous note, the Blade servers are the only thing my PC using friend ever tries to compare to the new powermac's. Too bad they are in separate markets.
 

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
3,854
571
Re: Macworld NY Rumors

The issue with panther is to be expected to a certain extent. People are looking at this as an applications issue, its not the PPC should be able to support 32 bit and 64 bit applications at the same time. It appears that they just hacked panther enough to permit booting of tthe 970. The reality is that Apple really needs to be a little more forth coming as to what is really happening here.

I'm still wondering if Panther is a bridge implementation. That is will it allow the use of the extended addressing capabilities of the G4 in a way that is also compatable with the G5. A G4 powerbook capable of handling large memory systems would be nice. That is until a good implementation of the 970 in a portable can be offered.

Honestly apple isn't doing themselves any favors with this slow trickel of information. Hopefully they can open the flood gates next week.

Dave


Originally posted by Macrumors
Infoworld writes an article regarding the rumors surrounding "Macworld NY". They reference this site as well as Spymac.com.

The focus of the article, however, appears to be the Xserve and does contain some new information. One anonymous reseller reports that Xserve sales halted after the PowerMac G5 was announced.

The article also confirms previous rumors of deep discounts for developers on Xserves, hinting that Apple is trying to clear the channel.

The only rumors available have been relatively unconfirmed rumors regarding Xserve updates by September. One additional anonymous report that came in provides similar information with claims that there will be no Mac OS X 10.2.7 Server version... and instead the new G5 Xserve's will require Panther Server. According to these rumblings, Panther Server is expected shortly after Panther Client.
 

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
142
0
Want a new PB. 12" too small 17" too big. Why oh why no new 15".
Hopefully mwNY or whatever its called now will improve on the goods. I am holding out until sig new tech is there. I don't want to be obsolete tomorrow:p
 

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
193
4
No Steve = no PowerBook.

Maybe the following week. They're bound to be upgraded soon.
 

Dragonneyes

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
10
0
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by pilotgi
No Steve = no PowerBook.

In the middle of Joswiak's keynote, a suspiciously large quintuple-deckered cake is wheeled out on stage. A trumpet fanfare plays, and...

Out jumps Steveo, amidst much falling confetti and balloons, holding a brand new 15" AlBook!

Whoohoo! Dreams can come true.
 

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
3,848
1
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by Dragonneyes
In the middle of Joswiak's keynote, a suspiciously large quintuple-deckered cake is wheeled out on stage. A trumpet fanfare plays, and...

Out jumps Steveo, amidst much falling confetti and balloons, holding a brand new 15" AlBook!

Whoohoo! Dreams can come true.

And this is all fun and games unless Steveo is wearing a thong. Then all bets are off.

Seriously, I think that Joswiak has just as much reason to intro the new 15" pBook as Jobs - he is the head Hardware guy, and this is hardware, and a hardware UPDATE at that... Steve already had his fun with the 12 & 17" models.
 

jamilecrire

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
105
7
Originally posted by tgrundke
I find the report that XServe sales have all but stopped to be interesting. My greater concern is how the G5 announcement will impact other Apple sales, specifically iMacs and eMacs.

I think Apple finds itself in a precarious situation at the moment because the speed gap is so wide at the moment between Macintoshes and their Wintel counterparts. Anyone with half a brain knows that with a little bit of time, the G5 will make its way into all of Apple's products - and if demand slackens much for iMacs and such, we'll find the G5 in there sooner rather than later.

With that in mind, unless someone absolutely, positively *must* have a new computer, they're going to wait until the entire product line moves to the G5. I sure as hell know that I will.

I just bought a G3 iBook so my thought is no effect. Since the platforms are binary compatable there is really no concern in the short term. Once the Software Manufacturers stop shipping the Fat Binaries (which they will hopefully do) then I will be concerned. Hell, OS X 10.3 isn't even going to be 64bit. Then again what is 64bit?

Just like the UltraSPARCs IBM/Apple/Moto did an excellent job designing this processor for the next generation.
 

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
283
0
Denver, CO
Originally posted by pilotgi
No Steve = no PowerBook.

Maybe the following week. They're bound to be upgraded soon.
I disagree, if all Apple does is bring the 15" PB in line with the 12" & 17" models (bluetooth, aiport extreme, etc.) and bump up the speeds, that doesn't make for a very big announcement so Steve isn't really needed.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.