Madden NFL 2009™

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Chairman Plow, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Who is playing it? PS3 or 360 version? What do you think about this year's rendition?

So far so good IMO but the "rewind" feature feels like cheating. Online leagues still leave much to be desired. Aside from that, I like it.

BTW, EA Sports has released a new cover depicting Favre in his new team uniform.

Download it from the PDF links below. The picture below isn't up to scale.

XBOX 360: http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179868_A4_SLP_clean_x360.pdf

PS3: http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179863_C4_SLP_clean_ps3.pdf

PS2: http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179663_A5_SLP_clean_ps2.pdf

PSP: http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/madden/madden09/pdf/favre/179662_A5_SLP_clean_psp.pdf

[​IMG]

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I want it but I barely ever play 08 so I can't really justify it.

lol at brett in a jets uni

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and why in the hell is it not for the pc.....

4. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

How about the Wii version??

Has EA just completely bent us over with the ridiculous "All-Play" crap?

Seriously, Grandma Essie isn't going to want to sit down and play a game of Madden with her great grandson! Stop dumbing the controls and give us a good game!

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

EXACTLY evilgEEk!!

Developers are so BLINDED by the whole casual thing, they think that everybody and anybody that owns a Wii, will automatically by any game if it has some kind of casual feature, no matter what the subject.

They really are stupid, if they think that the Wii's userbase is made up of all new gamers.

If it's not some crap like this, it's developers adding ASINIE Wii Zapper support to games that DON'T need it. Hurray, COD5 Wii has Zapper support. What a waist. :rolleyes:

I'm a bit curious to why EA didn't offer Wii cover art of Brett Favre?

<]=)

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

As a life long Jet fan, that is almost enough to make me run out and buy the game - almost.

J
    E
    T
    S
    JETS
    JETS
    JETS

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Sadly most of the Wii's success in terms of units sold can be attributed to casual gamers, EA just playing the money game.

What I don't get is EA canning Madden 09 for the PC for "financial difficulties" or whatever they cited and then a few days before the game's release they announce Madden 10 will come for the PC :rolleyes:

Not that I'm a Madden fan, personally I like Pro Evolution Soccer but I still found that decision by EA puzzling.

EA is a weird beast, the sad thing is they own a lot of great developers and franchises so even though I don't like them at all, I still buy their games because I don't want to deprive myself of all that fun just out of a petty grudge.

8. Chairman Plow thread starter macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Wii version here.. http://www.easports.com/madden09/fullsite/features.jsp?itemID=wii

I'm not clear on the reasoning to NOT update the cover art for the Wii as well. Maybe EA just assumes that most hardcore Madden players will purchase either the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions, and with a nod to the dedicated PS2 and PSP user bases.

*No knock against the Wii, but when I play Madden I don't want to risk lobbing a controller (sorry, Wii-mote) into my TV. But I'll gladly brandish a lightsaber. :D*

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I know you were probably joking... But that is such a lame excuse! I have never lost control of my wii-mote, and *gasp* I don't even use the wrist straps! :eek::rolleyes:

The Wii is a very capable machine, but JackAxe said it best. The developers really are blinded by this whole casual gamer thing. If Nintendo isn't careful they're going to start alienating their core audience.

Heck, I don't own the console, but I already own a copy of NCAA '08 for the 360, but that's because it has Boise State's old quarterback on the cover. And being as though I'm a season ticket holder for BSU football, it was a must-have. :D

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm buying two EA games this year, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge PC. I'm not sure why they dumped the PC version of Madden either, but is it just me, or has PC gaming really taken a turn for the better again? Or have I just been ignoring it?

I bought Medal of Honor 2 for the Wii and Tiger Woods 07 so far, but beyond that, I'm a bit eh by their Wii selection. But as you said, they like other developers are certainly caching in on the Wii.

I did ignore EA for a few years though, but only after Golden Eye on my DS froze. But beyond that, they've never really annoyed me. I'm just frustrated with the developers that seem to believe that all Wii users are casual-noobs and that all games need to be generalized and made kid-friendly -- I don't mind these games as long as their are other choices.

The only developer I'm petty about right now is UbiSoft. They ticked me off so bad with their Wii showings, that I won't even buy their PC games now. :eek:

<]=)

11. Chairman Plow thread starter macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Yes, I was joking about losing control of the wii-mote. :D
    We're pretty much creatures of habit, so I normally play Madden on the PS3, where the controls and layout are very familiar (after so many years of playing on the PS2)...... I'm sure the 360 version is pretty much the same, but the controller's feel isn't the same, if that makes any sense to you. (We tend to take our Madden entirely too seriously sometimes!)

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Not many feel the same but I feel PC Gaming has taken a turn for the better, there are a LOT of releases coming out this year for PC. Remember Spore is also an EA game ;)

LOL All this talk about Madden made me dream about playing American Football last night... it was pretty odd considering I'm not a big football fan, I don't even know the rules of the game fully :eek:

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Cyberball is still my favorite football games. It's the only one I played regularly in the arcade. Tecmo Bowl was fun as was Madden 07 Wii, but beyond that, I'm not a huge football fan. :eek:

I'm definitely getting spore!

I'm glad developers once again seem to be giving the PC love. PC first, console's second, the balance must be returned!

<]=)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PC gaming came back to life thanks to Steam, IMO. What that has done for gaming is brilliant.

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Steam is pretty nice if you are into the whole DD thing but I don't understand why people rave so much about it, is it just the convenience of digital downloads? is the automatic updates? is it the lack of dumb DRM schemes? (though some titles like Bioshock have the same DRM as their retail counterparts) the friend system?

I'm not saying it's bad (quite the opposite actually :)) but it seems some people are in love with it, what's the feature people love the most about Steam? I only use it because it's necessary for Valve games but I find games on Steam to be more or less the same as retail games.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have this game for the PS3. i like it so far, but no 1080P!