Made in north america?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TopHatPlus, Aug 7, 2010.

?

Would you prefer to buy a computer made the north america?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Don't care

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

woud you be willing to pay a few dollars (possibly a couple hundred) to have a macbook, macbook pro, i mac what ever you use or want in a apple computer to be manufactured in north america? to supply your neighbours or relatives with those gobs and walk so proud of owning a product built by someone who cared?

i for one most certainly would!!! i am in the manufacturing/sales/service sector of the travel trailer industry custom building them and people are so proud to own something made by a canadian!

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Define made.

All the parts are made in different countries/parts of the country and partly assembled in one place, fully assembled in another, packaged in another, and then repackaged in another for shipping.

If you did that all in America with the facilities we don't yet have, you would be paying $8000+ for a $300 computer.

So no, I would not pay more for it to be assembled in America.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yay for national pride1!1!111one!

now that that's out of the way ;)

no I would not be willing to pay a few (couple hundred) dollars extra to have an Apple computer made in NA. I'll pay whatever the going price is regardless of it's point of origin.

I don't necessarily trust the chinese manufacturing scene as a whole (with their love of crappy knockoffs), but Taiwanese manufacturers such as Foxconn and Quanta Computer, who manufacturer the iPhone and Macbook Pro respectively, have earned my trust...
    ...for now....

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

5. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

The manufacturing sector is on its way out in the US anyway. Time to figure out how to dodge structural unemployment!

The only thing we have coming here and not being outsourced are automobiles because labor is cheaper here than it is in Germany and I think Japan. We also don't have the regulations that those countries do, along with reduced shipping costs that would add to the margins on each car sold.

That said, I could not care less about where my computer is made. Manufacturing matters little in comparison to the engineering that went into a product originally.

6. cys920622 macrumors member

I don't see what difference it makes whether my mbp is made by factory workers in China or factory workers in Canada, unless it's some kind of patriotic thing. Not worth an extra few hundred at all if you ask me.

7. Yimbie macrumors member

I'd be afraid of what the price would be of the 17" Macbook Pro if it was built in NA... which I assume you mean basically USA. The reason because there's so much outsourcing is because it's so expensive to manufacture here.

People already think that they're too expensive.

8. koco macrumors newbie

It would sure be nice to have those manufacturing jobs back and not contribute to the poor working conditions and environmentally unfriendly practices of Chinese manufacturing. The fans of Apple products would still buy them and pay a little more regardless of where they were made. Of course the company may not have huge profits.

I don't like contributing to the poor treatment of factory workers that make the products. It's also shocking that an item that costs $15-$20 at best buy or a similar store can be had for like $2-$3 from Hong Kong if you look around.

But in the end manufacturing in North America would create some jobs but it seems to always profit the fat cats no matter what.

It looks like soon we won't be able to afford all these dirt cheap products flooding the market in North America.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't like the treatment of the workers overseas either, and I think if a computer was made in Europe (I'm in the UK) I would more likely buy it.

10. koco macrumors newbie

But you already bought one made in China...no? :)

11. bartelby macrumors Core

They'd probably cost over £2000 for an entry level laptop or desktop then. Would you still be likely to buy one?

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't know....I probably shouldn't have said anything now :D

I suppose :(

13. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I say leave it to the countries that that know what they're doing. If they went through all the work involved in setting up a huge manufacturing installation in the USA it would still involve low paid factory workers on an assembly line. You think those low paid factory workers would care anymore than a low paid Chinese worker?

The Chinese and Taiwanese companies that apple and the rest of the computer manufacturing industry use are the best in the world at what they do along with being cost effective. Moving manufacturing to America or Europe for that matter would just result in higher prices and probably longer wait times for builds.

14. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

I wouldn't buy anything made in the U.K., unless it was a Czech/Polish/insert eastern bloc country here - run company. Sorry, but the English couldn't put a nut and bolt together without ****ing it up.

North America isn't any better, until you ban unions.

If it was made in Europe, there is only one country - Germany.

Until then, China and Taiwan are the cheapest places to go for manufacturering mass quantities. Although, we are starting to see more and more stuff made in Vietnam. Electronics may be next.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Honestly it doesnt matter where its built as all the factories will look and act the same. The only difference is probably the nationality of the factory workers.

16. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Not true. Ever seen a Japanese factory and it's work force? Nothing like anything else in the world.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It doesn't really matter to mean, I buy the Mac wherever I find the best deal on it. So if having it made in China means that it is the cheapest, I'd rather have it made there. If having it made in Mexico means it will be the cheapest, have it made there, etc.

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes I have, in the 80s/90s but this is the 2000s.

To give you a good example, B&W speakers, the 600 series now or rather a few years ago moved their factories in Europe to China to cut cost (labor) but still implements the same training to the workers and quality of their speakers. But the main reason why their lower tier (the 600 series) of their speaker line is able to adopt the previous technologies from their higher end series speakers (700 and 800) is due to the lowered cost of moving the factory to China.

I've owned a pair of the older 800 series and the newer 600 speakers and the new 600 series are amazingly not too far off in the build quality or sound.

19. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

There are plenty of various examples to give on build quality for various products and how Europe is better at certain things over SE Asian countries (I give you Dainese Leathers for motorcycle racing as an example). Supposedly it's the same manufacturing process, but I can tell you from personal experience, that the quality of the manufacturing process has gone down... significantly!

However, If you want to throw various items out there (not a computer), would you rather buy a car made in Japan, China or North America? I think we all know the answer.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well honestly the answer for you question I'm thinking either Japan or China is equally fine for me (but my answer would have been totally different 10 years ago though by picking Japan for sure).

I've been through plenty of Sony HDTVs in the past 6 years and their build quality (such as backlight bleeding, dead/stuck pixels, flashlighting in the corners, vertical or horizontal banding, flickering) has gone down significantly (although I'm not 100% sure if all of the Sony HDTVs that I've been through were actually manufactured in China or Japan as I dont really check anymore and I think it was more of a mixed bag depending on each series/model of the HDTV).

Oh and I dont know why we always exclude Korea (I'm Korean btw) and I really dont notice too big a difference where its made these days though in general.

One interesting thing to note that I've learned in my logistics course is that the iPods are assembled from more than a certain amount of number of countries (forgot how many but the numbers were staggering). I thought it was interesting that all the little parts/components were not from a handful of places, I think it was 100 something parts/components or more.

21. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Change the title to US/Canada unless you think that the workforce in Mexico is paid much better than the Chinese counterpart.

As long as the engineering part is done in the US and quality control is present, it's fine with me.

22. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

True, I forgot about S Korea. 10 years ago, it was almost a joke to even consider South Korea on par with Japan. Now though both cars (Hyundai) and electronics produced in S. Korea are very good quality.

I've owned quite a few plasma and LCD flat screen TV's over the last 7 years (Panasonic, Sony, HTC, Samsung, a couple others) and the only one that was ever crap was HTC (which I think is made in Taiwan?)

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Good point though bringing up Mexico. I noticed alot of products are either made in Mexico or China with usually Mexico being the preferred choice.

One example is the Dell U2410 monitors, where I've heard people praising the A01 and A02 versions of this display that are manufactured in Mexico to have the least problems such as the vertical banding and pink/blue tinting on either side of the panels.

24. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Going to have to agree with that one. I hate my union, and most of the one that are operating here.

I'm all for bringing jobs back here but I don't really see it happening with electronics. I try to get most of things like my soft goods from smaller local companies who employ or source work locally, and would be more than happy to pay a bit of a premium to do it with other things like my gadgets. Fact is, it probably isn't financially sustainable(if that's even a term) to manufacturer stuff like this here.

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Lol. I remember even as a Korean/American I would never buy a Hyundai ten years ago but these days I wouldnt mind owning one. I still drive a Honda but the new Hyundais are pretty good in price/performance/reliability these days.

Some of my cousins own Hyundais (they buy nothing but Hyundais because their either cheap or too proud as a Korean lol) but I find that there is nothing wrong with that. Anyways, I've never seen any reliability issues with any of the Hyundais that they drive in the past 6 or 7 years. I guess I still dont prefer Hyundais because I grew up in the era of where the reactions from driving a Hyundai were more of like ewww and that image is still stuck in my mind.

One thing that always annoyed me though is that everyone pronounces Hyundai as "hyun" Dies" but Koreans pronounces it as, "Hyun" "Dae".

For example hanging out with my friends or making conversation with randon people and whenever they comment or see a Hyundai they're always like, "look its a HYUN DIE!" LOL.