Made the transition to Mac from Windows. Any guides on how to smoothly transition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Westbrook0, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Westbrook0 macrumors member

Made my first MBP purchase. Is there a comprehensive guide to help this transition?

2. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I think after the latest MacBook update, you're asking the wrong crowd. They're all looking for Mac to Windows guides! :p:rolleyes:

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

For what specifically are you looking for help? I use Windows at work but always have either my iPad Pro or my MBP with me. No trouble going back and forth, and for most typical types of documents (with the exception of specialized engineering & medical software) there's equivalent apps for both platforms.

4. PaulWog Suspended

1) As mentioned above, Apple's website helps.

2) Schedule an appointment at an Applestore. They teach you how to use Macs. I've never done this (I like to figure things out on my own), but if the transition is difficult for you, such a meeting might help.

3) You'll learn from above, but get used to the trackpad features. Three/four finger swipe up, three finger swipe left/right, etc, setting up different desktop windows and utilizing them (it's almost like having multiple screens). Very good for productivity, the main reason I like Macbooks so much.

4) Set up iCloud properly. If you have an iPhone, the cloud app is really useful. I have my iCloud set up to not sync photos, but to sync most other things (notes, calendar, etc). The biggest thing is that anything I put on my desktop is set to sync with iCloud, so I can access files I have on my desktop from my phone. Note that you aren't interacting with your computer, but with the files that are stored on iCloud.

5) Any other advice really just depends on your needs. You'd have to give more of a description of what you are using your Mac for.

5. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I swapped from windows to mac only little over 6 months ago.

it took a few weeks to get used to it but very easy to use and navigate around.

some things are different yes but most differences are easier (i find anyway).
    E.g. plug in memory stick/HDD no need go hunt in my computer as it on desktop.

it's the little things that make osx better than windows.

6. Chupa Chupa, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

David Pogue's Missing Manual is a good primer for all the "hidden" features. The Sierra edition should be out soon. But Macs are fairly intuitive out of the box for basic use -- not as much as they use to be but still not too complex. Using it is the best way to learn the OS and when you have a question just google and you should have a quick answer.