Madison County judge accused of racial abuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, May 28, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Putting this cretin's behavior aside, a HS diploma is the only requirement to be a Justice Court judge. That's crazy.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...on-county-judge-accused-racial-abuse/9518717/

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

3. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I find it a little odd that it specifies "preferably law degrees". It seems like that should be a stipulation.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Convictions overturned, removed from the bench, and charges filed against him.

BL.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It never fails to amaze me when grown adults act like high school bullies.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Expect lots of appeals and legal challenges given this new information.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Who need to know the law to Judge others? good going Mississippi another reason not to live there. how the hell can you be a judge with just a HS diploma?

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's not like Mississippi is 50th in education, they've rocketed up to 48th.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Mississippi isn't the only state that only requires a high school diploma to be a magistrate judge. All those states are not in the South, either. When you research magistrate judges also called justice of the peace, you will find that many states do not require a law degree to hold this position. In some states they are appointed but most states, they are elected.

Many states have debated changing the magistrate judge position to require a law degree and bar membership. Below is a link to a story about it in New York where there have been several campaigns to change the practice of having non-lawyers as magistrates.

So before the forum starts insulting the South, check YOUR state and see if there is a requirement that a magistrate judge have a law degree. I think you will be surprised. Magistrates have been often called Citizen Judges.

Should Magistrates Hold Law Degrees? - New York

Most county magistrates aren't lawyers, but education standards are changing - South Carolina

CANDIDATE: JP judges don't have to be lawyers - Arizona

In PA, it’s easier to be a judge than a cosmetologist - Pennsylvania

West Virginia Requirement to be a magistrate - West Virginia

12. VI™ macrumors 6502a

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Magistrate Judges have always been Citizen Judges. In most states they are elected by the people, in others appointed. They are only able to sentence in minor cases usually up to 12 months. They also perform marriages and do tasks like setting bail.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

..and keeping minorities in their place, apparently.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is what concerns me more with regards to this case. Is his/this certain position and elected position? If so, it really makes you wonder if he or his constituents know of, reported, or condoned any type of outburst like this prior to running for this position. If so, that really says a lot about the racial issues going on in his area. How this would have sneaked through the cracks (again, if an elected position) is bewildering.

BL.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Are you going to paint all magistrates as racist based on the actions of one?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course not. There must be a few who aren't.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Right now, we have one that is... Out of how many? That's almost like assuming all Catholic priests are pedophiles based upon the actions of a few.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think you missed something.

OK. I just learned something new. I thought we were talking about the "judges" that sit in small claims court. Are you telling me that Magistrate Judges can actually send people to jail for a year? And, you think that is "minor"?

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Or even assuming that everyone out of work is sitting on their couch playing xBox.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, it is considered a misdemeanor (minor crime). Traffic offenses can actually carry jail time. Small claims court is usually Civil Court. Different in many places.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You go after, and to use your words, every "bed-wetting liberal judge", but you marginalize this and this incident?

You do have a point that this doesn't happen all the time, but your ideology completely shows in this issue that, for all intents and purposes, happened in your part of the country. You don't have much room to talk after the liberal comment in the other thread.

BL.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hold on, you added a word that mischaracterizes the entire statement. You are good at this. I did not use the word EVERY, did I. Please remove your false statement or prove it. I specifically use the word "a" and "the" which indicates one.

I say enough controversial stuff that you do not have to stretch it. You know that ruins your credibility when you do it. Now prove it or withdraw it.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Note how every is not in quotes.

Grammar fail. :D

BL.