Madonna - What was the point of her speech?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TonyC28, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I just watched Madonna's speech from the rally on 1/21/17. I watched it because today she says she was taken out of context when she said "I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House." Watch at 4:30 and keep in mind that she is reading it. These were prepared words. I'd have a little bit of respect for her if she stood by what she said.

As I watched it I was wondering what exactly she was talking about. It was like a generic speech that could have been used for anything. She was basically just ranting without making any actual points. I respect any person's right to free speech and to assemble peacefully to get their voice heard, I just wish they were actually saying something. Was she rallying troops to go into battle? Announcing the start of a 5k? The grand opening of a mall? Every woman out there who had a good point to make should be condemning the idiocy of someone like Madonna getting time on the stage to spew vague nonsense and profanity.

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

Yes, lets call her a whore because she's a women and we disagree with her. What a great idea!

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In general I would agree with you, but you have to admit that she hasn't helped her own cause. I am not going to call her any name because that's not what I do, but let me tell you that women should take a certain distance from her.

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Or let’s elevate all women regardless of behavior and hand one the presidency because “it’s time”.

That doesn't seem fair or realistic either.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think the inference is based on her controversial and provocative past that she continually promoted. J/K's point above is LOL typical of her.

Great artist back in the day but she grew into a legend in her own mind and her like many actors think they are going to move mountains by speaking out when in fact lots of people see them as being better of sticking to their day jobs. IMO Madonna garners about as much respect speaking on out the election as does Buzzfeed.

What I found funny is she read whatever it was she was spewing.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

All the people who voted Hillary.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2017 ---
    She also posted (and later deleted) this tweet:
    [​IMG]

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

FTFY

Madonna used her position as a way to convey a message that she thought was important. Had any of the anonymous women there said the same thing, would it have the same repercussions? She's famous, so she gives her voice to those who otherwise wouldn't be heard. Also, she tries to stay relevant.

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Perhaps somebody who spent her entire career exploiting her sex appeal shouldn’t be making speeches about treating women with more respect.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I agree with the correction you applied to my post.

12. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

She's not a whore because someone disagrees with her, or because she is a woman. Those are the statements made by a true SJW.

I don't live in USA, and never have been in USA. But comments from her and the likes of her should be prosecuted asap. Blowing up a white house? Really? Only coz someone who she doesn't like won the election? Funny how SJW minds work. Calling other people fascist, racist, bigots, etc. only coz they have different opinions. If someone can't see an irony in that, then really... :)

P.S.
    Just to clarify once again - I'm not from the USA, I really couldn't care less who you choose as your leader. Your country, your voice. But I simply can't stand all the crying, whimpering and a complete lack of common sense coming from a lot of (not all of course!) Hillary supporters. I would say the same for Trump supporters if roles were reversed.

13. macmee Suspended

macmee

Dismissing a women in any scenario by simply branding her as a "whore" is wrong, and I will not do it. I also disagree with the things she's been saying, however if asked I would provide legitimate justification as to why, and not dismiss her as "just a whore". Doing so is immature and lacks any sort of legitimate substance.

I thought better of some of you, and so you've disappointed me.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is there an equivalence between sex appeal and disrespect? It might depend on the job and position in society. Mentioned for discussion.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Why am I quoted? I specifically said that I won't call her any names, just that I disagree with her methodology.

17. macmee Suspended

macmee

I cannot even quote back to you what The President has said about women, because what he said includes language which is against the forum rules.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the only legitimate substance she has is whatever she puts in her bong, I dismiss her stupidity just like I dismiss her stupid "blow up the white house" comments, just empty words from an empty mind.

19. macmee Suspended

macmee

Then instead of crying "whore", you'd have done better to say so in the first place.

20. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I didn't do that. But the guy that did, was he really wrong? She said she will blow anyone who votes for Hillary.
    I don't call anyone by any names, not even when they really deserve it. So I didn't do in this occasion as well. But for anyone who calls her that, she/he is not far off.

And just coz she is a women doesn't make her protected in my eyes from name calling. If some male is an idiot, and I call him an idiot, that's ok, right? But if a women is a whore, and someone calls her a whore, that isn't alright coz she's a women?

I really hate this PC culture (and I don't mean Personal Computer) :(

21. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I believe I did provide a reason. Don't dismiss it because you've picked a side that is not defendable.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Some people confuse a woman being comfortable with their sexuality with being a whore or degrading fellow women.

Pretty sad.

24. macmee Suspended

macmee

If you think someone is an idiot based on merits being discussed then thats fine by me. If you think what a women says doesn't matter because she's a "whore", then that would make you an idiot.