Magazine Cover Depicts Crosshairs on Trump’s Head

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by logicstudiouser, Feb 3, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

2. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I strongly object to this image and insightment to murder/assassinate. BUT, he's angered and disadvantaged so many people that I'd be shocked if the thought/desire to see him shot dead hadn't passed through their heads (if you excuse the poor taste pun).

But yes, this image should never have left Photoshop let alone be printed and published.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreee completely.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Free speech is a bastard,no? Incitement to assassination no, free exchange of ideas that's fine.It's also a issue for Ireland and no one else.

5. Zedcars, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I refer you to section 4 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861:

Territorial extent: England and Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland.

Sources:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/data.pdf

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1861/act/100/enacted/en/print.html

(Minor variations between the two sources are due to subsequent repealments).

Also section 5 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997:

Source:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5

Seems like incitement to murder to me (of course, I'm no lawyer). Free speech has its limitations.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. I think a better version of this cover would be him drawing crosshairs over his own head. Wouldn't be surprised if he was assassinated.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Did you read the article? No incitement to be seen, the image is open to interpretation and no way would a charge of incitement be upheld in any off the countries you've mentioned.

9. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Yes. Did you?

I disagree. Incitement clear in my view.

Correct.

Your opinion.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Remember the tories and their "Hang Nelson Mandela" campaign, no charges no nada, freedom of speech issue.

11. Scepticalscribe, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, while I think the magazine cover could have been in better taste, and I would far prefer to see whether the institutional integrity of the US will hold steady during this dreadful administration, or, for that matter, whether the US system can actually deal with the problems posed by Mr Trump's presidency lawfully, - as a lapsed pacifist, I deplore violence as a means of settling political questions.

However, I feel that I do have to point out that the Sacred First Amendment sometimes brings its own issues trailing in its wake.

Anyway, Karma is an unpredictable goddess.

And yes, I have read the article. And, in a world where click bait and controversy are rewarded, this magazine cover seems to have been taken right out of that text book.

The magazine in question has a reputation for intelligent, informed, thoughtful - if sometimes uncomfortable - journalism, and the man who founded it and edited it, has a reputation as one of the most irascible - yet brilliant - journalists in Ireland, someone who is fearless, sometimes rude and a man who willingly courts controversy. He is also, if memory serves, a qualified barrister.

To be honest, I would not be surprised if this was not an attempt to needle the Irish Government - traditionally, Ireland, like the UK - has had - or, has enjoyed - unusually close ties with the US; this magazine cover will most certainly lead to questions being asked of the Government about their concerns - if any - with the new administration in Washington.

Besides, I have a vague memory of how Mr Trump - during a campaign meeting last August - made an ambiguous - and deliberately disingenuous - and somewhat sinister speech. Remember it?

With words that seemed to be oozing menace directed straight at Hillary Clinton - at the time, it was suggested that he was slyly encouraging possible thoughts of assassination, - he remarked to his supporters “If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the second amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”

I don't recall these threads echoing with the sound of right wing feet galloping at speed to repudiate such a sinister - and sly - suggestion. But, then, I don't read every thread, so it is entirely possible I missed it.

12. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I can understand the cover, if it was making a point that THAT many people are so angry about him that maybe this could happen.

What I think is pathetic about this, is "why not"...

Childish nonsense. I try to understand the point of view of people who disagree with my views, but all of that goes out the window when they hypocritically stoop to the so called low of the opposition, and then use the opposition as an excuse.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

An incredibly inappropriate image. I don't particularly like Trump but wouldn't wish him assassinated and this sort of picture is just irresponsible IMO.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

A lot of hypocrites in PRSI, usually hiding behind a post of word salad screed.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A lot of blind and blinkered followers of the current administration in PRSI, unable and unwilling to call out the administration on its appalling judgment, dreadful policies and the tone-deaf diplomacy.

It used to be said that you campaigned in poetry but governed in prose. Mr Trump campaigned by insult and governs by Twitter.

By the bleeding nails of Christ - your Government and country are an excruciating embarrassment. But an increasingly dangerous excruciating embarrassment.

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

So how are other people interpreting a cross-hair next to someone's head with the words "why not" beneath it?

It might be a stretch, but I imagine the designer was thinking about using a microscope to analyze Trump's brain. *smh*

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Wow. I wonder how a magazine cover showing illegal immigrants sucking off of the taxpayer would fly? Probably cause Berkeley losers to protest or something like that. And the left is all for toloerance and understanding? Right. OK. Yeah. Great.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just yesterday a co-worker asked me if I'd changed my mind as to trump needing to be "taken out." I told them that my answer was still "no," that we have mechanisms in place to remove or replace people without resorting to that kind of violence, and it would likely lead the opposition embracing that end should the circumstances be flipped.

The cover is morally wrong. Assassination is morally wrong.

It's unfortunate that so many people (including my wife) see it as a preferable option.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And the right never called out Mr Trump with that sly, characteristically underhand, suggestion to passionate Second Amendment adherents "although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is (something they could do), I don't know" - when discussing how to deal with Secretary Clinton had she won.

20. HEK, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Well it's only right when sanctioned by the President and performed by the CIA. I still remember all the attempts on Castro's life. Let alone the succesful attempts on other leaders. Beware the moral high ground you stand upon, as it may just become a sink hole.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think attempts on Castro or other leaders lives are seen as "right." I'd prefer if we could bring those people to justice for that kind of act. There are, however, some entities that are too big to fail, too big to be held accountable to the standard that we uphold ourselves. That isn't a good thing. But it is reality.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This is just as inappropriate as when the right drew the same thing on democratic representatives a few years back.

As to why not Pence is a good reason to keep Trump around.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have to disagree.

I'd much prefer a professional conservative politician over an amateurish whatever-trump-is hack.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Pence will put his interpretation of Leviticus into law. Trump is legislating through Executive Orders which will be much easier to undo in 4 or 8 years than what Pence would put in place.

25. jerwin macrumors 65816