Magazines. (The paper kind, with printed pages.)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jul 28, 2015.

1. vrDrew, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

These days my opportunities to sit down and read an actual printed magazine are generally limited to waiting areas: My periodontist favors the Robb Report and Yacht International (having seen his fees this makes a certain amount of sense.) My hair stylist tosses a sop to her male clients in the form of tattered copies of Car & Driver and GQ.

Sometimes I'll come across a copy of Time magazine, which I remember from my youth as brimming with articles on the latest political and social trends. A real snapshot of the American zeitgeist. But today? A slender sheaf incapable of holding my attention for more than a couple of minutes, and filled with ad pages for prescription medications.

The supermarket checkout line gives me a weekly glimpse into a world of popular culture that is - for me at least - terra incognita. In breathless tones the covers portray the anguished breakups of people I didn't even realize existed. Other periodicals hint at the imminent demise of celebrities I remember from my youth. Mary Tyler Moore, the fresh-faced Minnesota heroine with a cranky boss, is a perennial favorite. One week, I sadly suppose, they'll get it right.

I have one friend who subscribes to Playboy. In any other person I would be utterly amazed that someone would actually find it necessary to pay money to have photographs of naked (albeit airbrushed) women mailed to him once a month. But Bob's an odd duck, strangely Luddite in his tastes. In suspended animation on both technological and social fronts, he's still busily copying sci-fi films of the 1980s from his laserdisc player. When I talk about Netflix and Hulu, its like I'm describing another dimension.

The fact is, I can recall some very enjoyable magazine experiences. I used to enjoy leafing through my girlfriends copies of Vanity Fair as I waited (for hours, it sometimes seemed) to finish applying her makeup. I treasured visits to one relative as much for the wonders I found in her copies of Architectural Digest as anything else. And I am today a font of useless information thanks to my grandparents stack of Readers Digests. It was in those well-thumbed pages that I learned that we humans had organs like the thymus and pituitary gland. And that people connected to America's armed forces had pretty bland taste in humor.

We've gained a tremendous amount thanks to technology and the Internet. But sometimes I do sometimes miss the role magazines used to play in our society.

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

I just cancelled my Wired subscription a while ago after finding more and more magazines still wrapped in plastic weeks after receiving them. I do read the electronic version on my iPad but I also seem to look for specific content online, which is unfortunate as there's a lot of things to read about out there that you'd might not search for explicitly.

I used to buy guitar magazines, mostly for gear reviews and also tabs, these days you can find all of that online - and for free (I still have "Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream" and "Dream Theater - Images and Words" guitar tab books, which were around $50-60 back then in Germany and also (for me) the only way to get detailed instructions on how to play that stuff as close to the original as possible, now you can just download those tabs and hundreds of thousands more online, which is a really cool thing as well).
    Same goes for music magazines - CD reviews, interviews... I never dreamt of actually exchanging personal private messages with some of my favourite musicians online, instead I'd buy tons of magazines that would feature even the shortest interviews just to get some more infos.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I stopped buying or even reading magazines a long time ago. By the time a magazine reaches the reader the information is hopelessly out of date.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have a couple of digital subscriptions- Popular Science, and Atlantic.
    One paper subscription- PGamer because for some reason they think if you want the digital in addition, you should pay more. o_O If and when I re new that it will most likely be digital. I used to have Newsweek until they dropped publishing and went digital, but their digital content was on the weak side.

For news today on my electronic devices I rely on FlipBoard (iOS). It's tremendous and free!

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's the case for me as well, but when I am out an about I am inclined to read magazines that are available. Doctor's offices, the gym, the mechanic. On my own time though, I read everything online.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I still like magazines, especially those that have photography, even the Retina iPad (or name the gadget) doesn't have the fidelity of a well-printed glossy.

I don't subscribe to any of the news magazines—they're all terrible, or I've already read 20 stories on the subject by the time it shows up—however, I really like dense, close-read stuff like Harper's, Lampham's Quarterly, etc.

Of course, I still read the Sunday NYTimes also, even though I spend the rest of the week reading articles from the app or website.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I will be laying out a magazine in the next couple of weeks. But while I enjoy designing them, I think their day is nearly done. It's a huge waste of resources, especially when all of the content (and more) can be provided on-line. If it were up to me, I'd never print another paper magazine again.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Disagree. Even the best printing doesn't contain as large a color gamut as an RGB screen. Plus you can add video, slideshows, links, and other enhancements that printed material can't.

I understand your appreciation of the craft. But now that better alternatives exist, printed magazines will become more of a specialty item. And that's probably for the best.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I have a private eye subscription, I never get round to reading it, but they don't do a digital version. :(

I do have a digital national geographic subscription, but always forget about it, and I had a BJP one but don't bother anymore as I don't work in the photographic industry anymore

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The quality of magazines has declined considerably over the past several years. It seems they all use the same low-cost printing technology with lousy shifted colors and ink that smears if you so much as breath on it.

I still get a number of magazine but pay for very few on them. I monitor Free Stuff dot com where they are either free or very cheap. Example: I recently got a three-year subscription to Bloomberg BusinessWeek for only $19.99, and got a one-year subscription to Guitar Player for free.

12. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Is this another one of those sites where you have to fill out surveys, or how does it work?

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You don't get nothing for nothing.

However, I figure a free magazine subscription is fair trade for the marketing information they're looking for.

14. jerwin macrumors 65816

My Mom signed me up for a New Yorker subscription,.

It's amazing how quickly the paper piles up. Of course, I do read them.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I know what you mean. I used to get The Economist but it's too damn much for a weekly. Who has the time?

16. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have a 2 year subscription to Wired. I read the digital version, barely...

Probably not renewing, but at $10 for 2 years, I couldn't pass on the deal.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

MacUser converted to all digital half-way through my subscription and I don't think I've read one since. Maybe if I had an iPad.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you don't get playboy for the women.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a few digital subscriptions, manly for photography. But as soon as those are done, unless I get another really good deal, a full year for less than $5.00, I won't re-up.

I would rather get my content from a digital "magazine" like Zite or Flipboard.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I haven’t bought a paper magazine since 1999, I stopped with printed newspapers in 2001.

Even the TV magazine is now obsolete, since 2004, as my provider has a digital version.

I do however still by comic books, and books in the old fashion print medium. (It just some how seems the right way to read comics and books)

21. rhett7660, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I agree with on the Comic Books. I have found though, that I actually like reading a book on my kindle more now. In fact it is my go to reader. But yeah, comics, are 95% paper based for me. I have a few digital ones, mainly ones that I know I could never afford but have been offered in one of the online stores (older marvel and dc)

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You don't believe he subscribes for the articles? Why does no one ever believes that?:mad: *I* get it for the articles, but I'm sure no one believes that.:(

Finally. Someone who understands.:) They have some good articles and short works fictions.:cool:

23. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

They probably do.

In fact, I was inspired by your comment to take a gander at their safe-for-work website, and came across the recipe for Michael Ferraro's Chicken-Thigh Sandwich (which sounds incredible.) But in the case of my Luddite-friend, his lifestyle is as far removed from that sort of bon vivant aspirational luxury as is humanly possible for a middle-aged white American man to be.

Which leaves him with the jokes. Which are terrible.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Totally agree. I love reading on my Kindle. It is very portable, I can carry hundreds of books, built in light, built in dictionary, etc.