Magic in Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Because, you know, this stuff is real, and Texas is just a suburb of Mordor. What is wrong with these people? Kids will be kids, and those Texans have lots of that strong jesus-magic to fight of Sauron.

Do they even teach stuff in school any more, or are they just filling the kids' heads with pasture plop and training them how to ace the progress tests?

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I wanna say it is West Texas which is king hill billy and bible belt country... but I am certain something like that would happen over here south of Houston. I mean, there is quite a big LARP community in Houston and they take a lot of flak from people round here just for pretending to cast magic spells with ping pong balls.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Even worse, I think, is this:

OH GAWD NO!

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Apparently this kid is something of a discipline problem. (Sarcasm..) The ring incident led to his third suspension this year. He had previously been suspended for referring to a a classmate as "black"; and for bringing a book ("The Big Book of Knowledge") to school.

There is something terribly wrong with our education system if we are suspending kids for bringing books about knowledge to school.

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

When I first saw this article, it honestly read like something from The Onion. Espcially with the quotes of the kid and the dads replies through email.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don't black people want to be called black? I guess the issue was that he wasn't racist enough.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This story really has nothing to do with fantasy or LOTR as much as this:

I believe that, in the eyes of those in charge, this was the same kind of "threat" as when a kid makes a gun with his thumb and forefinger and points it at a classmate and yells "bang." They're not reacting to the finger-gun, they're reacting to the real act being (sorta) simulated.

That being said, I think schools and school districts take these types of "threats" way, way, way too seriously.

8. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I'm sure that most people, myself included, would prefer to be referred to as a person(leaving color out). This country is so melted that generalizing by color is offensive to some. I really don't care, but we are living in a world of sensitivity. Be careful what you say or teach....;)

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree with your analysis.

The only thing I'll disagree with is your conclusion that "schools and school districts take these types of "threats" way, way, way too seriously."

We only hear about the incidences that were taken too seriously. We don't hear about the times that these kinds of threats were tolerated, resulted in far less strict punishment or were simply ignored.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of these cases don't end up like this thread's example. However, good judgement doesn't make the news or make for interesting discussions, so we only hear about and talk about the times when someone over-reacted, making it seem as if those instances are more common than they really are.

That's just my hunch. But I'm willing to bet it's a good one.

10. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think I saw one version of this story where the school officials were calling it terrorism. Sheesh.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Seriously. That can't be true.

If it is, then that school official is insane.

12. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Oh, the mind runs wild with possibilities.

13. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

The RawStory report mentions use of the phrase "terroristic threats", howsoever accurate that might be.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sounds like political correctness gone mad.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

On reading this my first thought was do these people ever THINK before they speak?

But is more than likely a case of ZERO tolerance policy, trumping Common sense.

Today to many administrators just tick boxes on a form, to cover their backs if all goes wrong.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Incase something goes wrong? You mean there's a chance that the ring is real? :eek::p

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

As a practical (and linguistic) matter - suspending kids for making "threats" is absurd.

I'd hazard a guess and say that a good fifty percent of all human interactions are based, one way or another, on the basis of "threats." As in:

If you don't come to work - you'll lose your job. If you don't brush your teeth - they'll fall out. If you don't do your homework - you'll fail this class. Or: Violate this forum's Terms of Use and you'll be banned.

To suspend a kid for "threatening" to do something that was clearly impossible is ridiculous.

Which is not to say some "threats" shouldn't be taken seriously. Or indeed that some threats deserve suspensions. Any child that threatens violence combined with weapons obviously is something that needs to be dealt with.

But a kid talking about magical rings he learned about in a classic piece of literature? We need to encourage reading, and imagination, and learning. Not stifle it through ham-handed disciplinary policies that simply make the education profession look ridiculous.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Interesting point ... though I ultimately disagree with it.

I don't see those as threats. I see those of consequences of one's actions.

These would be threats ... If you don't come to work - I will make you disappear. If you don't brush your teeth - I will make you disappear. If you don't do your homework - I will make you disappear. Or: Violate this forum's Terms of Use and I will make you disappear.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Safe assumption is that it wasn't the Bible.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You said it, brotha.

I know it's been done to death, but the teacher should have just sat him down and do his best Gandalf impersonation.
    [​IMG]

It would have straighten the kid right up.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Gawd, I'm not surprised if this happened anywhere in the South. The frutation of conservative/religious fundamentalist politics. We are taking one giant leap backwards. :(

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's a legal term: <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroristic_threat>.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Get over yourself. What in the world does anything in this story have to do with religion or fundamentalist politics?

For the sake of placating your cynicism - this stuff isn't limited to the south.

Pennsylvania

Ohio

Virginia

Maryland

Massachusetts

24. Huntn, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Get over myself? Really now. How about, get ahold of yourself? I stand corrected, indeed conservaitves reside all over this great country. :p

However, every one of your links involves guns. And while I agree that gun phobia is of liberal origins, as reported we have 3 suspensions, one for a pretend magic ring that makes you invisible, a book that includes an illustration of a pregnant woman, and the use of a (politically incorrect?) term, "black"? I had no idea that was politically incorrect. black and white, side by side... (Ebony and Ivory song). ;)