Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one did you choose with your new iMac?

• Magic TrackPad!! .. since I hate the Tragic Mouse

Votes: 206 70.1%
  • Magic Mouse!! .. since I don´t sit well with Tragic MacPad

Votes: 88 29.9%

• Total voters

Stolz25

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Holy thread necro!!

I find the Magic Mouse to be infuriating to use.

What exactly is infuriating about it? I haven't used either very much. I have a MacBook pro, and I like the trackpad on that compared to other laptops, but I'd still rather use a mouse.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
What exactly is infuriating about it? I haven't used either very much. I have a MacBook pro, and I like the trackpad on that compared to other laptops, but I'd still rather use a mouse.

It's pretty frustrating for me too. It is not very ergonomic, and using gestures on the surface of the mouse just didn't work well. For everyday use, the trackpad is far superior. IMHO

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I got the mouse because there are several apps now for the iPhone and iPad that will turn those devices into a trackpad for your iMac if you choose.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

1) It is impossible to do a simultaneous left+right click, which is necessary for some applications/games.

2) I find that the gestures try to fire as a result of my palm resting on on the mouse. So I'll be, say, trying to move up to the close button on a window, and it'll suddenly switch apps.

3) On the other hand, getting gestures to fire on purpose can be very difficult. It feels there's not enough space, or the space is too oddly shaped, to do it correctly.

In short.. in the spectrum of convergence, the Magic Mouse lands somewhere between the Refrigitoaster and the Spork.

Stolz25

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
In short.. in the spectrum of convergence, the Magic Mouse lands somewhere between the Refrigitoaster and the Spork.

Thanks, glad someone resurrected this thread. I had been planning on getting the mouse, but reading this it convinced me to go the other way. As it is I have plenty of good gaming mice lying around to swap out if I hate the trackpad anyway.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Magic Mouse works fine for me. I don't game. I also hold mice lightly and at the edges so I don't find the Magic Mouse unusual to use. Best mouse of Apple I've ever used, however IMHO mice aren't the greatest Apple products!

With my 27" iMac the Magic Trackpad doesn't have enough resolution. It's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. I use my Magic Mouse and a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Magic Trackpad for me.
I only use a plain mouse for gaming.
I also have a Logitech Wireless Trackman Marble which I put away after trying the Magic Trackpad for a few days.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Magic Mouse + Magic Prefs. I love the Magic Trackpad also, but it definitely isn't as fast or convenient as the mouse when using Photoshop or Illustrator.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

I find it (and the Mighty Mouse) too low-profile and prefer a chunkier ergonomic mouse. The gestures don't work for me, and if you collide with something on your desk it registers a click.

Thing is, you really need to choose a mouse that feels comfortable in your hand - the Magic Mouse might work for some people but it only comes in one shape and size.

I've got a Logitech Performance MX. Nice chunky mouse with a proper wheel. Tiny USB transmitter that you can leave plugged into a laptop (mine's mostly plugged into the USB through port on an Apple keyboard) and a sensibly designed micro-USB charging socket that lets you keep using the mouse while it is re-charging.

I bought a Magic Trackpad out of curiosity - its great for basic 'productivity' use - even nicer than the MacBook trackpad, works nicely with the gestures in Lion. Enabling the three-fingers-to-drag option helps, too. However, I still prefer the mouse for graphics work and gaming.

Mice and keyboards have always been Apple's achillies heel - for years I want for Microsoft or Logitech instead. I was finally won over by the Apple aluminium chicklet keyboard, but they still haven't nailed the mouse. Ironic, for the company that popularised mice in the first place...

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I will be getting whichever one I can sell for more.

I plan on selling that and the keyboard and hopefully saving some money on my overall purchase.
I already have a wireless Logitech keyboard (with number pad!) and mouse (with 5 buttons!).

Anyone else plan on selling these somewhat unnecessary luxury products?

DeF46

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Belgium
I use both...
For general use and gaming, the Magic Mouse is great.

For photo and video editing, the Magic Trackpad with gestures is better.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the trackpad.

How on earth do you do photo editing with a Magic Trackpad? Beyond dragging some sliders? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.