Magikarp Jump Launches as Latest Pokémon Game for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Pokémon Company has launched a new iPhone and iPad game revolving around one of the weakest Pokémon ever, Magikarp.

[​IMG]

Magikarp Jump, available now on the App Store [Direct Link], tasks players with raising multiple generations of Magikarp by feeding and training them to increase their Jump Power and overall level. Players can then battle--try to jump higher than--other Magikarp in six leagues to increase their personal Trainer Rank.

As a player's Trainer Rank increases, additional food and training upgrades can be purchased from the Town with coins, which are awarded for various in-game tasks such as winning league battles. A higher Trainer Rank also allows players to fish for additional Magikarp with different designs.

Magikarp Jump is entirely free to play, but diamonds are available as optional in-app purchases for players who wish to buy pond decorations and other items that help Magikarps grow and train even faster.

Magikarp Jump is not nearly as sophisticated as Pokémon GO, but with a number of achievements to complete, it's a decent way to pass the time on a train ride home or a lazy Sunday afternoon. You'll also see other classic Pokémon such as Pikachu and Pidgeotto appear at times for a bit of nostalgia.

[​IMG]

Magikarp Jump is a free download on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Magikarp Jump Launches as Latest Pokémon Game for iPhone and iPad

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

3. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

...they went for the coolest one. No Magikarp hating on my watch! :D

5. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Look how the trainer resembles Diamond. Pokémon Diamond remake for 3DS confirmed.

6. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

If Nintendo has any sense, they've killed all future development on the *DS and, apart from the titles already announced for release this year, are exclusively working on the Switch.

It was splitting their developers between 3DS and Wii U that lead to neither platform living up to its potential.

It worked alright with the DS and Wii because third parties were there to flesh out Nintendo's catalog of games for the platforms. That's never happening with the 3DS, and isn't really happening with the Switch yet. It's not going to happen unless Nintendo can generate hundreds of millions of sales of the Switch like they did with the Wii.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    So... can you evolve it into a Gyarados?

Also, why is it that Magikarp respects gravity and flops around on the ground when it's out of water, but Goldeen floats upright just as effortlessly in air as in the water?

8. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

This is BRILLIANT!!
    I am so excited to see a game just about everyone's favorite Pokémon:D

9. 0098386 Suspended

I love these mini games from Pokemon. I mean, yeah they're entirely empty and dull experiences compared to the full fat 3DS games. But they're nice time wasters.

10. vdot90 macrumors newbie

vdot90

Nintendo nerd here. They actually had a separate portable and console team in the past, which was why the 3/DS was fundamentally different from the Wii/Wii U. It was only a year or so ago that they have decided to combine the two teams together – leading to the new console hybrid, the Nintendo Switch. Either way, 3DS is slowly but surely on its way out as they place their focus on Mobile (kid's first gaming experience) and Switch (their main money maker).

11. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I could settle for doing it on your phone.

12. m.x macrumors regular

m.x

13. msingh999 macrumors newbie

14. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Why not Switch? Remaking a DS game for 3DS seems a bit pointless to me. 3DS has backwards compatibility so you could just play the original. Plus 3ds graphics are crap so it would be a wasted effort in my opinion.

15. apb89 macrumors regular

Am I missing something with this game? Like can I not control Magikarp's jumping?

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Correct, the idea is to train it for jump battle. But that is all controlled based on your "specs".

17. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Pokemon Company has always preferred mobile gaming for Pokemon, because it fits the nature of the game better (trading with other players), so the Switch definitely has high potential for the main Pokemon games.

18. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I still wish they would release the full Gameboy style games on iOS.