Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
I own both the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard for my 12.9" iPad Pro. I notice the side magnet attachment on the Smart Cover is much stronger that my Smart Keyboard is. Has anyone else who has both noticed this, or do I possibly have defective magnets on the Smart Keyboard?

Thanks

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I own both the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard for my 12.9" iPad Pro. I notice the side magnet attachment on the Smart Cover is much stronger that my Smart Keyboard is. Has anyone else who has both noticed this, or do I possibly have defective magnets on the Smart Keyboard?

Thanks
I hadn't noticed it before but, yes, you're right. 12.9"

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I have the same issues with my 12.9. I own both the Apple cover and the Apple keyboard cover. My guess is that the keyboard cover has the same magnets as the standard cover, but the extra weight of the keyboard makes it flop open differently.

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
It's sounds like the magnets are weaker on the Smart Keyboard then. I'm guessing they used lighter (thus weaker) magnets to keep the weight down. I wish they were stronger because I have almost dropped it when folding it up and it came undone. I'll just have to be more careful...

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's sounds like the magnets are weaker on the Smart Keyboard then. I'm guessing they used lighter (thus weaker) magnets to keep the weight down. I wish they were stronger because I have almost dropped it when folding it up and it came undone. I'll just have to be more careful...
Good point. Or maybe they made them weaker to prevent damage to the 3-pin connector and internal wiring in the keyboard cover? The plain-old smart cover's magnets are pretty vicious!

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Maybe so. I know I can have my 12.9" IPad hanging from the Smart Cover and swing it around without worry. I'd never do that with the Smart Keyboard. Not that I do that as a practice but the magnets are quite a bit stronger.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Keyboard is significant heavier so the magnets may appear weaker while being the same strength.

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Keyboard is significant heavier so the magnets may appear weaker while being the same strength.
The magnets on the Smart Cover are stronger even when attached laying down with no weight applied. The magnets on the Smart Keyboard are simply weaker. Not that big a deal

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Tried hanging my 2 iPP 12.9 with 2 different covers and 2 different keyboards, but no differences that my mkI hand could feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.