All iPads Magnets On Edges Of iPad Air (Video)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhillyAnt, Nov 26, 2013.

1. PhillyAnt macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Did you know that the left, right and bottom edges of the iPad Air had some sort of magnet in them? Has it been like this for all the iPads? I thought the smart cover had the magnet strip and thats how it attached. Here is a link to a video I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMURlW_q5E

PS: Is there a way to make the video appear instead of the link so people don't have to leave the page? Sorry for the noob question.

2. tomhumphrey macrumors newbie

Nope. This is not new. This is how the smart covers have always worked.
    Aluminium is not a ferrous metal...

3. Remembermeno macrumors newbie

Haven't watched video but magnets on bottom might be the speakers.

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Both the iPad and Smart Cover have magnets along their shared edge. This allows for the automatic and proper alignment of the Cover.

This is also true of the opposite edge. I presume this allows for a more stable closed state.

I think Remembermeno is right about the bottom edge.

Finally, are you certain the paperclips haven't become magnetized? I apologize for not watching your video but the possibly-magnetized clips might be attaching themselves to some ferrous material within the casing of the iPad.

5. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense about the speakers. Yeah I am sure about the paperclips not being magnetized. They weren't sticking to each other. Just the iPad. I tested it out with some other various things on my desk too. Funny I had no idea. The little things you learn... lol