Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MagSafe Charger Only Charges at Full 15W Speeds With Apple's 20W Power Adapter [Updated]

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
You cannot plant oil.

People are killing off trees in an unprecedented rate. Yes, some NGOs draw money by pretending to plant a million trees, which is laughable. Every year 7 billion trees are cut, not counting illegal logging. Many countries already lost as much as 95 % of their trees.

Reactions: BorgCube

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
It's not that simple. I am an electrical engineer. The coil design for Qi is different than that of MagSafe. In order to get all the benefits of magnetic alignment and 15W power transfer, Apple had to go their own way. This then means that MagSafe doesn't also support max Qi charging speeds because it is more focused on max MagSafe wattage. Apple wasn't interested in only solving the engineering problem for Qi, they wanted to go beyond this and add magnetic charging.

If everyone was less impatient, they could see that in the long run as third parties develop more Apple certified MagSafe car charger options, there will be some great chargers that can simultaneously hold your device and charge at max wattage. Up until now this required a special case or putting a magnetic pad on the back of your device which would mar aesthetics, something Apple is loathe to do. Apple didn't want to let this all out in advance and spoil the surprise of MagSafe, so that's why it takes time for third parties to develop. The same was true when Lightning came out, and today there is a vast ecosystem of Lightning accessories. Give it time.

So this is not a malicious act by Apple. It's an attempt to create a better widget that can allow for both holding the device and charging it at a pretty high wattage. Almost as good as wired. That adds value and should cost more. If one does not like it, one can always charge with the wired cables one already owns.

If one looks further in to the future one can see that the ultimate goal is wireless charging and data that are not even dependent on a close proximity inductive charge. Particularly in car, this makes for a super safe experience with CarPlay wherein just having the device present in one's pocket or bag would automatically activate wireless charging and wireless CarPlay in a handsfree mode, thereby encouraging one to focus on driving and thus solving the big problem of distracted driving.
That's all probably true. But since it's in the future (either near or medium term), I decided to sit it out for now and see what develops. I had ordered 2 MagSafe cases (Apple Silicone, and Otterbox Aneu) and a charging puck that I got before my phone came. After seeing all of this uncertainty I returned everything and am using a cheap $6.99 clear case from eBay and am using wired and wireless chargers I already had. If/when a good MagSafe car mount/charger comes out, I'll re-evaluate. Looks like a specific 12V accessory to USB C charging adapter will also be required to give full speed car charging. I realize I may have to buy a MagSafe case at that time as the magnet through my simple clear case might not be sufficient to hold the phone. It would have been a lot better if Apple had released more accessories right away.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
It has been shown twice in this thread that the original video gives false information. Other people were able to get even 18W through 3rd-party charger connected to MagSafe. But the thing is the iPhone starts to throttle when the temp exceeds 39°C.
It just didn't make sense that a 20W charger could do the job a higher watt charger could not. I'm glad that these independent reports came out before too many people made decisions to order or not order based on the incorrect video.

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
It just didn't make sense that a 20W charger could do the job a higher watt charger could not. I'm glad that these independent reports came out before too many people made decisions to order or not order based on the incorrect video.

Sure created sensationalism, outrage, clicks, and $$$$. Almost like it was intentional. ....

People love to bash Apple, "Timmy" Cook, and the supposed crap that Apple does. Makes them feel important I guess. While no one is perfect, people love pointing out flaws today. Apple does better than most companies.

Reactions: DotCom2 and jdb8167

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
So I did a test today with the new Anker 20w charger using MagSafe on my iPhone 12 Pro. 5 hours to go from 0 (shutdown) to 100%!
Repeated the test again today, but this time without the Apple MagSafe clear case fitted. Total charge time from 0 (shutdown) to 100% was a more respectable 3 hours 20 minutes. Seems like the Anker is fast charging but the case was slowing it down. Not sure if the pass through on the case slows it down or if having the case fitted causes too much heat.

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Repeated the test again today, but this time without the Apple MagSafe clear case fitted. Total charge time from 0 (shutdown) to 100% was a more respectable 3 hours 20 minutes. Seems like the Anker is fast charging but the case was slowing it down. Not sure if the pass through on the case slows it down or if having the case fitted causes too much heat.
heat is definitively a problem...
with magsafe, it went to 18-19w very quickly... but went down to 7.5w-10w when iPhone was hot after a short period of time.
I disconnected magsafe, let it cool down, remove my case... and put back magsafe. I Also put magsafe/iPhone on my "cold" MacBook cover... it stayed a lot longer in the 18-19w range because of lower temperature.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't really care.
Sure was a long post for something you don't care about.

The idea of plugging a charger into the wall, then plugging a very short cable into that charger, then connecting the end to the iPhone, and calling the whole thing "wireless", ignoring the two wires connecting the phone to the wall, seems just absurd to me.

No one is doing wireless charging without a charging pad of some kind. Maybe one day, your phone can charge while in your pocket, but not now.

Reactions: brucemr

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So, they take out a completely simple charging brick from the box in the name of environmentalism. Them push hard to buy this magsafe which is nothing more than a gimmick. This is pure business because lightening connectors with small charging brick included in the iphone boxes is way better for environment than to buy the much bigger magsafe and a seperate charging brick which comes in separate boxes. Oh, the separate accessories also use separate transportation. We all have been fooled by Tim Crook. It has nothing to do with environment but everything to do with profit. Time will tell and Apple will be on its trough sooner than we anticipated it.
In an attempt to criticize Apple, the talking points strung together don't form a cogent conclusion, which is "Apple will be on its trough sooner than we anticipated it." Waiting almost 10 years for that to happen.

USB chargers and accessories are ubiquitous at this point in time. Apple forcing a change in consumer habits is not unheard of. The did several with their Mac lineup.

To me, it's a rare occurrence that one buys an iphone 12 without any chargers, cables, usb ports, batteries etc to charge the iphone. That, to me, rare occurrence is at times, promulgated as the general use case. It's just not so, in my anecdotal opinion. It's a good environmental move to remove the pods and bricks from packaging that has a side-effect of helping to keep prices down for the launch of the iphone 12, with all of its' new tech.

It's a red-herring to cite the shipping of separate accessories on the environment. It's not binary, nor a problem that is unique to Apple.

You believe magsafe is a gimmick? Sure okay. But there are others who might want a magsafe charging puck for their own reasons.

You entire "argument", if one wants to call it that, falls flat with the distortion of the name of the CEO of Apple.

Mimiron

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
Just charge overnight then there is no rush.The newer iPhones have all day battery life unless you can't keep your hands off it all day! Personally,i think that if people can't leave their phone alone for a couple of hours or so whilst it charges then they have a serious addiction problem.
I agree, but I scarcely charge my iPhone overnight. Got the Smart Battery Case so I have a 3-day battery life and it feels bad charging the phone when you are still at 20-30% when you go to sleep. But it also sucks having 20% battery in the morning. The endless struggle 🤨

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Isnt this. Every. Single. Wireless. Solution?
Yup. All the talk about environmental responsibility, then Qi/MagSafe charging boils the ocean ~5 watts at a time.

So much concern about getting the full 15 watts (which only happens during the fast charge cycle anyway) when 20 watts is available with the cable in the box.

Reactions: KayEm6419 and I7guy

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
Yup. All the talk about environmental responsibility, then Qi/MagSafe charging boils the ocean ~5 watts at a time.

So much concern about getting the full 15 watts (which only happens during the fast charge cycle anyway) when 20 watts is available with the cable in the box.

Save the environment. Generate your own electricity! (I've actually got one of these, lol). The amount of physical energy to crank that thing 30 mins for 1 amp is ... astounding lol.

I also have a 21w Anker solar panel setup but it took days to charge up anything more than 20,000 mAh. I used to charge my iPhone and iPad that way for years (harder to do this in winter months).

Now, I live in an apartment complex and I'm lazy so ... :/. At least Socal Edison has a 100% solar option! :p

Reactions: I7guy

Predtek

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
I just got my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Love it. But I AM DISAPPOINTED by the powering solutions.

1. NO USB-C iPhone??? This is RETARDED. I loved lightning but this is year 2020. My Macbook and iPad Pro are all USB-C. Carrying an extra Lightning cable and setting one up in office/bed is ANNOYING. Needless to say I switched them all to USB-C>Lightning from USB-A cables for faster charging. I would rather DUMP all those lighting cables and go to USB-C>USB-C ONCE AND FOR ALL. STOP USING LIGHTNING! There will be wastages but it will be a ONE TIME thing for a very long forseeable future. NO EXCUSES APPLE.

2. I NEVER used the supplied chargers because they SUCK. 5W Wtf? iPhone 11 Pro 18W charger WON’T fast charge the new iPhone 12 Pro. Then there is a 20W brick That you want us to buy? NO I would never waste a wall socket for a single output charger. I bought numerous USB-C/USB-A third party chargers and they are GREAT. I waited for USB-C iPhone for years already.

3. CUT YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL CRAP. You are just greedy. You should have switched to USB-C port, supplied a USB-C>USB-C cable and a USB-C Fast Charger. ONCE AND FOR ALL. You may stop supplying the charger in a year or two. NO MORE LIGHTNING CRAP.

4. WHAT?! I was about to order the Magsafe charger to get a fast 15W wireless charging speed. But now I realized that the charging wattage cannot reach full 15W unless I buy that specific 20W Apple charger? The 96W Macbook charger won’t charge at full power and so won’t my high power third party chargers. This is BS.

So thank for Macrumors for this article. I just CANCELLED ther order for ALL MAGSAFE ACCESSORIES.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.