Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
What do you guys think? I have no other issues with the mbp and happy that I have no dead/stuck pixels and especially the vertical line backlight problem.. (those are the reasons I dont want to get an exchange) and the only problem I have is that sometimes the green led light will not turn on when plugging in the magsafe to the mbp but it will charge..

Should I get it exchanged just for this reason or not?? Also has anyone exchanged their mbp just for this reason...

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Apple will replace your charger for you, they don't need the whole computer back for that.

But the thing about it is that I used a magsafe from the macbook and I recreated the problem from the macbook's magsafe adaptor..

kashik

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
So let me get this straight, the LED doesn't light up all the time BUT it still charges. It is still functional, but not as aesthetically pleasing without that green dot... Mine is doing that right now, but I'm focused on the screen.

If you need to know that it is doing something, just look at the battery symbol at the top right of your screen.

Other than that, it all sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Sorry to say it.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I wouldn't exchange it, especially if theres nothing wrong with it. Besides a little green light, bring it in, maybe they can just fix it for you

good luck

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
And have you tried it the other way round MBP charger on your MB? Just to be thorough.

Yes I've tried it and for 20 minutes of plugging and unplugging and the macbook never had the led go out with the same mbp's charger.

Also sometimes when the green led doesnt show up and the top right battery indicates that its charging and if I go to "about this mac," "power" it saids its connected but for charging it saids, "no" when my battery is still at 80% because I drained it to that % just to see if it will charge or not... But most of the time when the green led doesnt light up it still saids its charging.. just some of the times it saids its not charging while the charge symbol on the top right is showing..

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
I've seen some quirky things with the LED on the magsafe too, but haven't had any problems with it charging. I did have to have my charger replaced before because the plastic melted by the plug that goes into the computer and the wires were becoming exposed! You might want to keep an eye out for that, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's charging properly.

If it's a concern, just take it in and they'll swap it out if they think it's a problem.

My question is why are you swapping the two plugs if you have one for each?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I've seen some quirky things with the LED on the magsafe too, but haven't had any problems with it charging. I did have to have my charger replaced before because the plastic melted by the plug that goes into the computer and the wires were becoming exposed! You might want to keep an eye out for that, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's charging properly.

If it's a concern, just take it in and they'll swap it out if they think it's a problem.

My question is why are you swapping the two plugs if you have one for each?

I just tested the macbook's magsafe on my mbp and it does the led thing.. and if I use the mbp's magsafe on the macbook it doesnt do that led thing (I've tried for 20 minutes!) But then its strange I drained the battery all the way down and then recharged it and now I've not yet seen the led light go out again even once... (crossing fingers) that the battery needed to be broken in..

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
The Magsafe on my 15' CD MBP was hinky like this when it was new. When Iw as talking to Apple to qualify my battery replacement for the battery recall, I asked the tech about it. They said that I would have to take it in to an Apple Store to have the problem verified before they would consider replacement.

I would add that I have AppleCare on the MBP, which is one of the reasons why I asked them to replace it. They seemed willing to do so, but not without independent validation of the problem.

MacDann

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I had a very similar problem with my MBP. The light would sometime come on and the next time it wouldnt

The thing is it has STOPPED! I am not sure if it was after an update (I don't recall one) but I dont have the problem now.

Having said that I would bring yours straight back. It does seem worse - you have paid for it all to work so I dont agree with the previous posts that its simply the LED. You have paid for a product and the bottom line is that its isnt working.

The issue I could see was if it is not on you will not know if it is charging

Good luck - I am sure they will replace :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.