Mail and Gmail IMAP Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by orbitalpunk, Sep 29, 2010.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

Hi guys,

I had a question. Is there a way to use Gmail's IMAP with Apple Mail and configure it so that when the message is deleted on Gmail, It is not deleted in Apple Mail. I have wanted to convert to IMAP for a while but was always concerned with the possibility of Gmail servers accidentally deleting all of my emails and then would in turn delete all of them on my computer and I would have no backup copies of my emails anymore. I like to archive my emails but I like the performance of receiving emails thru IMAP over POP.

Thanks for any help!

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

Just create folders within mail and drag the emails you want to keep offline.

3. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

But I keep all my mail. Work related record keeping and such. That means I would have to drag my emails every day. Is that really the only way?

Thanks again!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can probably set something up with rules in Mail, but dragging them to whatever folder you want is the easiest way if you can't make rules do what you want.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can always use time machine as a backup and you'd have hourly backups for the first 24 hours.