Mail.app Not Formatting Message Fonts When Sending Emails — Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lloydh, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lloydh macrumors member

Hi,

In Mail preferences I have message font set to Verdana and in the 'Composing' pane I have ensured that messages are sent as Rich Text, and yet I have a persistent and frustrating problem with Mail.app failing to apply font formatting to outgoing messages.

When composing new messages everything looks fine (i.e. text displays in Verdana), but Mail isn't applying the formatting to emails; looking at the raw source of sent messages, Mail seems to be sending Plain Text messages with no formatting applied:

Code:
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v936)
    Further adding to my confusion, if I append a formatted signature (configured in Mail preferences) to messages, the signature IS correctly formatted (in Verdana, no less).

In such situations, the raw message source shows:

Code:
    --Apple-Mail-6-661070991
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    	charset=US-ASCII;
    	format=flowed;
    	delsp=yes
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

[MESSAGE BODY TEXT]

[SIGNATURE TEXT]

--Apple-Mail-6-661070991
    Content-Type: text/html;
    	charset=US-ASCII
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[FORMATTING]

--Apple-Mail-6-661070991--
    So it seems that Mail is not sending the message body content as Rich Text, despite having set this in Mail preferences.

Mail is running on OS X 10.5.8 on a PowerMac G4.

Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

2. amaskar macrumors newbie

Hi

I have the same problem, except the signature does not get formatted either.

lloydh: Did you figure out how to resolve this issue? Or does anyone know anything about this? I would really appreciate the help :)

My raw code shows:

Code:
    --Apple-Mail-91-286094884
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    	charset=ISO-8859-1;
    	format=flowed;
    	delsp=yes
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

3. lloydh thread starter macrumors member

Amaskar, I realised after continuing to read around the problem that the font formatting is purely a display preference within Mail and that there is in fact no officially supported way to set default font formatting.

Essentially that leaves two options: (1) manually set your preferred formatting for each new message, or (2) - a workaround/hack - modify your signature such that the first line is formatted in the way you desire your body text to be and then overwrite that first line of the signature when composing each new message to 'automatically' apply the styling. Of course, option (2) requires that signature formatting is functioning normally - something I'm afraid I can't provide any assistance with.

4. vltava macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently found a solution with a plugin named Universal Mailer: the plugins adds the possibility to set a default font for outgoing emails, which is added to non formatted email body (i.e. it will keep existing formatting style if present and add a default style if not).

If you're interested this is the website of the plugin: http://noware-it.zxq.net/

I think it is Lion only but it works fine for me.

5. MacJoy macrumors newbie

Mail.app formatting message fonts - UniversalMailer

Hi I found the UniversalMailer plugin for Mail and it works for preserving the appearance of the message font I have set in Mail when sending to Windows users. However, now there is a message at the bottom of all my emails that says, "This content has been modified by UniversalMailer plugin for Mail.app. Its use is for non commercial uses ONLY, except by written permission from the author. Copyright 2011 by noware. All rights reserved."

This looks very unprofessional and I've got to turn this off. Going to the company website noware-it.zxq.net produces an error page. So I can't even contact them for assistance. What to do?

btw, I'm using Tiger so the app doesn't require Lion.

6. qasimassad macrumors newbie

Mail.app Not Formatting Message Fonts When Sending Emails — Please Help!

Hi,

Getting same issue.In mail preferences i've set the default font to Calbiri.But after composing the mail is sent in plain text.