Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geeman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Whenever I get a new mail, I've set the preferences of Mail.app to play a sound (the one that's called, imaginatively enough "new mail sound").

Whenever I send a mail, Mail.app plays a nice "swoosh" sound, confirming that the mail has gone.

Now to my problem: While the "swoosh" comes through loud and clear from my SoundSticks, the "new mail sound" only comes through the internal speakers of my 1Ghz PB. I'm running Panther v.10.3.1.

This can be a real pain sometimes, as I have little aural indication of having received a mail when I'm not in front of my Mac. I've tried the usual rebulding permissions/clearing caches/deleting preferences stuff, but still haven't had any luck.

Anyone else have the same problem, or have any other ideas as to what I could try?

Cheers,

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Could it be that the Sound preferences are set to different output? Since I've had an external audio processor, I've found that there are separate outputs for Sound Effects and Output.

It may be that mail is using different categories of sound to impress you.

Attachments

• soundprefs.jpg
    soundprefs.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 131

geeman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Nope - but good thinking. I have both "output" and "alerts" set to output through the SoundSticks.

BTW: If I manually try to get mail (and there isn't any) then the "No mail" sound comes through the SoundSticks as well (??)

Weird, huh?

[edit]: Get this: when you select a sound in the preferences of Mail.app, you get a 'preview' of the sound, right? Well, when I go through the selection of mail sounds, they all 'preview' correctly - i.e. through the SoundSticks!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
While on the subject, I've noticed that when you click on "Get Mail", the sound effect sounds very surround soundish on my PowerBook's speakers. Everytime I click on it, I end up looking around to the right thinking I heard something in the corner of the room.

geeman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Sorry - should've put everyone out of their misery ;-)

I was about to run Pacifist so that I could re-install just Mail.app, but then found out that there were a couple of 'custom' sounds that had found their way into ~/Library/Sounds. As you know, you can import custom sounds from the Preferences in Mail. Note that these addtional sounds weren't actually selected for use, they were just sitting there in the list.

As a last resort before deleting and re-installing Mail, I removed them from the list. No change. Then I removed them from the Sounds folder - success!

Weird. All the other mail notification sounds worked fine, just the "Mail Received" one - and even that worked OK, just not through the SoundSticks!

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny again,

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.