MAIL: best way to notify many people of my e-mail address change?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DHart, Feb 14, 2008.

1. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

I did something very stupid and changed an e-mail account setting on my Comcast account which permanently ended (without forwarding!) my primary e-mail address which hundreds of miscellaneous contacts used to reach me personally and for business. Bad mistake. A lot of work for me now.

Anyway, I'm calmed down now and want some advice on the best method to reply to a ton of different e-mails that I have in various Mail in-boxes, notifying them of the "new" e-mail address. Never done this before... is there a slick way to send a change of address e-mail message as replies to a whole lot of different e-mails that I have in numerous inboxes? None of these contacts are in AddressBook, I just have e-mail messages from them all filed in different Mailbox folders. I'm sure Apple has a slick technique to do this, but I don't know what it is.

Any advice you can offer to make this smoother and easier will be much appreciated!

I'm using Mail 3.2 in Leopard on a new MacBook. Thank you.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think your best bet is to check with Comcast and see if they can reactivate the old account, or at least have it forward. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't do that. They're certainly not going to reassign that address right away. At least I would hope not.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think comcast can forward the e-mail. they should. E-mail addresses should be treated like mailing addresses since now many of us get our bills e-mailed to us.
    Otherwise if you had access I would be some sort of auto response on it to advise people of the pending change, but I see it is too late for that.

4. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

I've asked to get my old e-mail address back, but am told it's possible that it cannot be retrieved.

Doesn't anyone here know how to send out bulk replies?

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Not from email that's already in your client, no. You might try versiontracker for a program that can extract all the email addresses from those messages, then send out a bulk email to them all. But be careful how many you send at a time, or it could get tagged as spam or blocked after a certain number.