Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lnewmanBoz

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Bozeman, MT
Hi Edgar,
If you reply to an email or receive a reply from someone then this becomes what is known in Mail as a Conversation and this is the basis of my original post. All emails that are in a Conversation view are bugged and so far it seems to affect macs with Intel HD 3000 graphics. Are you able to post your mac specs from 'About this mac' under apple menu (block your serial number first)
[doublepost=1512603299][/doublepost]In never figured out the calibration, but I turned off "Organize by Conversations" under "View" and the problem disappeared. 16 GB MacBook Pro running 10.13.1 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.

Donniboi

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Mac Mini (late 2011) - Intel HD Graphics 3000, Philips 276E7 monitor.

I just upgraded to OS X 10.13.2 last night, having skipped 10.13.1 in case it did the usual upgrade stunt of ruining my e-mails big time. This time, they weren't shuffled up, lost or otherwise messed up. What a relief!

Unfortunately, all was not really well. Any messages received since the upgrade that are part of a conversation have the black screen problem. Unchecking "Include related messages" disconnects the e-mail chains and sorts the black screen.

I then looked at my display profile and noted that it was set to "HD709-A". There were two other profiles. SD170M-A didn't work either, but "PHL 276E7" profile sorted the problem. Conversation e-mails no longer have the black screen problem.

As my monitor is a Philips 276E7, this is a relief. It looks like using the correct profile sorted things out. I'm not sure how the profile got set to HD709-A, so I can't say if the profile was wrong before I upgraded or the upgrade changed it.

In short, check that you are set up for the correct display profile for your monitor. It may be as easy as that!

Last edited:

tncastor

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
Might be that High Sierra is not fully compatible with that graphics card.
My MacBook Pro is about the same age and spec.

One thing you might want to try is run through the calibration within system settings. There have been reports of that fixing the bug for some people.

View attachment 723366 View attachment 723367
[doublepost=1513975674][/doublepost]Using a Mac Mini with 8mb. Calibration of the display solved the problem.

LeSpace

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
I have this problem too.

Thx for the tip lnewmanBoz.

I started a discussion in AppleCommunity if you want to participate and have more details:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32805607

• MacBook Pro 15" early 2011
  • macOS High Sierra, 10.13.2
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mo
  • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 Go
  • 16 Go 1333 MHz DDR3

sherwynh

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra on MBP late 2011 with Crucial SSD with APFS, Mac Mail has a visual bug when displaying email message that are included in any Conversation view. They Just show black. see attached image.

My MacBook Pro has 2 graphics cards, one in-built and another dedicated GPU for software that requires higher performance. The problem only occurs with the in-built Intel HD Graphics 3000
and also with specific display colour profiles.

I found that turning off 'Automatic graphic switching' in system settings so my mac uses the PCIe GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6750M) instead of the In-built GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) cures the bug but I cannot keep it on this setting as it causes higher battery drain.

Changing display profile fixes the problem when using the Intel HD 3000 gpu but only 3 out of 11 display profiles work which doesn’t include my Colorimeter calibrated profile which I need to use for colour correcting photos and design work. See attached images of display profiles that DO and DO NOT work plus image of Mail with and without the bug.

The problem does not occur when the mac is running in Safe Mode.

Things I have tried:
1. I have run Profile First Aid in ColorSync and all profiles are OK.
2. Reset PRAM
3. Reset SMC

This is not a major bug but an annoying one nonetheless which I can work around for now. If anyone has the same problem or might know what may be causing this or other things to try, let me know.

Thanks

View attachment 723224 View attachment 723225 View attachment 723226
[doublepost=1515270030][/doublepost]
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra on MBP late 2011 with Crucial SSD with APFS, Mac Mail has a visual bug when displaying email message that are included in any Conversation view. They Just show black. see attached image.

My MacBook Pro has 2 graphics cards, one in-built and another dedicated GPU for software that requires higher performance. The problem only occurs with the in-built Intel HD Graphics 3000
and also with specific display colour profiles.

I found that turning off 'Automatic graphic switching' in system settings so my mac uses the PCIe GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6750M) instead of the In-built GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) cures the bug but I cannot keep it on this setting as it causes higher battery drain.

Changing display profile fixes the problem when using the Intel HD 3000 gpu but only 3 out of 11 display profiles work which doesn’t include my Colorimeter calibrated profile which I need to use for colour correcting photos and design work. See attached images of display profiles that DO and DO NOT work plus image of Mail with and without the bug.

The problem does not occur when the mac is running in Safe Mode.

Things I have tried:
1. I have run Profile First Aid in ColorSync and all profiles are OK.
2. Reset PRAM
3. Reset SMC

This is not a major bug but an annoying one nonetheless which I can work around for now. If anyone has the same problem or might know what may be causing this or other things to try, let me know.

Thanks

View attachment 723224 View attachment 723225 View attachment 723226
my mac mini does the same.

BryceM61

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
I have the same issue - Macbook Pro late 2011.
I started looking at profiles and calibrations after reading the comments in this thread.
I found that, with the laptop open and the secondary screen connected, if I had the Mail window on the secondary screen then mail would turn conversations into black boxes. If I dragged the mail window to the laptop screen everything was visible. I checked which profile was selected for the secondary monitor - 3 were listed as available. The one for the monitor by name was not selected - it was some other profile (HD709A). I selected the monitor profile (VG2439 Series) and all was fixed.

Not good if you use custom profiles but this fixed my issue.

TmanTman

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2018
Bummer that folks are still experiencing calibration problems. I did find more glitches occurring with regard to calibration, colors I select on the screen do not print accurately on my Epson, they do not match the screen, even though my printer software is all updated. And my bold titles in color and black and white look like ink smeared all over the screen in print-preview mode, but the printing is fine -- except certain colors just will not hold in print as they look on the screen for word docs and PDFs.

Not sure why Apple does not track complaints and address them. That would be logical for me. They keep trying to survey me then ignore the survey feedback and seem to ignore complaints. Hopefully, for all of us, 2018 will bring resolution to these issues.
[doublepost=1516364070][/doublepost]Hi, I'm just joining this thread.

I've also been experiencing the same issue, specifically Apple Mail Conversation Thread view breaking and displaying black blocks where email should appear. I also use custom calibrated color profiles, and it seems that using non-Apple color profiles is part of the problem. (I use the X-Rite ColorMunki Display device for calibration.) Also, when I switch to the Apple factory color profiles, the Apple Mail Conversation Thread bug goes away.

I've contacted X-Rite and they suggested I try creating a Version 2 color profile which apparently is the type that Apple color profiles are. (X-Rite by default creates a Version 4 color profile.) This did not help.

I've also noticed that, when using F.Lux's color profile, the bug appears. I've sent an email to Apple's product feedback, and I strongly encourage everyone who is having this problem to send an email to Apple describing the issue. This is the only way that we may have them fix it.

I'm on a:
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
[doublepost=1516364579][/doublepost]And by the way, here's the URL to access Apple's Product Feedback Dept.: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

LeSpace

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
As far as I am aware, to file a proper bug report you have to be a registered developer and have a developer account with Apple. Also that link is flagged as an fraudulent website with an unsecured connection.
I don't know what is the issue with this link. I have a warning too, but if I write it myself I have no warning anymore (apparently don't use the https).
You can also use this address:
http://bugreport.apple.com

I am not developper (but some years ago, I registered on the Apple's beta program) and I was able to fill a bug report without problem.

Reactions: thewhofan

chemicalconan

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Is it not just affecting emails that are grouped together in Conversations?

it only affects emails that are grouped together. and only on certain graphics calibration. I have just switched off the message grouping as it is an easier workaround than to constantly having to choose a different calibration.
either way, it is an annoying bug and I hope they get it sorted soon!

ahakims

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2018
Might be that High Sierra is not fully compatible with that graphics card.
My MacBook Pro is about the same age and spec.

One thing you might want to try is run through the calibration within system settings. There have been reports of that fixing the bug for some people.

View attachment 723366 View attachment 723367
[doublepost=1519112790][/doublepost]hi thanks a lot calibration worked well solved this annoying issue

kevinshoulder

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2018
1.7.2 of the i1Display profile created the same issue for me on High Sierra on MacBookPro 2011. Not a blink before this. Now calibartions do not work

Fossil07

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
Can anyone report if this bug has been fixed in 10.13.4?

Nope still having same issue on 10.13.4. just installed and had issues with blank email coming in. im using an external screen. Did as you recommended by calibrating the display and all good so far.
  • Mac Book Pro 13" early 2011
  • mac OS High Sierra, 10.13.4
  • 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

i join site cause this was the only site to help, couldn't find a fix any where, Was getting annoying.

thank you heaps

Reactions: thewhofan

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Nope still having same issue on 10.13.4. just installed and had issues with blank email coming in. im using an external screen. Did as you recommended by calibrating the display and all good so far.
  • Mac Book Pro 13" early 2011
  • mac OS High Sierra, 10.13.4
  • 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

i join site cause this was the only site to help, couldn't find a fix any where, Was getting annoying.

thank you heaps
Thanks for taking the time to join the site to reply, very much appreciated. I will stick with "Low" Sierra for now until custom profiles are supported.

m_emelchenkov

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
To anyone who want to make their ICC profiles work again: I offer a service of fixing ICC profiles for 10 USD each profile. I made a special software for that, also manual work involved too. Apple did not fix this bug for 8 months (opened Radar bugreport) and it seems they will never fix it because these computers are relatively old.
Contact details at www.Emelchenkov.pro.

_MATTHEW_

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
I've had this problem on and off for some time now. It sometimes happened when I disconnected an external monitor (Dell) from my early 2011 MBP. It happens more now since upgrading with a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM and moving to a Spyder profiler from an Xrite. I did all that in one hit so don't know which is the culprit. Switching off Organize by Conversation under Mac Mail View menu works. I don't get the problem at all in Thunderbird. Doing an Apple calibration works too but only until switching back to a Spyder made custom profile so not much good to me unless I want to switch between profiles the whole time. I guess Apple won't address this now that my Mac is retro or legacy or whatever it is they describe older machines as.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.