Mail: how to attached emails instead of including them in the body

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theNEOone, Feb 13, 2009.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

In Outlook, if I drag and drop an email in my inbox to an email that I'm composing, it includes the email as an attachment. In OS X mail, dragging and dropping an email from my inbox creates an icon of the message within the new email I'm composing. I thought this icon presented an attachment, but when I look at the sent message Gmail from another computer, it looks as if the "attached" emails were included in the body of the new message instead of as attachments.

If I wanted the email included in the body, instead of as an attachment, I would have copied/pasted the old message into the new one.

How do I quickly include emails as attachments?

=|

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Inline display of attachments is a recipient-side function. If the recipient's email client supports inline display and if the attachment is a file format that the recipient's email client can display inline, then it will. If you don't want your recipient to display content inline, then your only recourse is to send files as archives that can't be displayed inline. You may try .zip files. However, you then run the risk of having a virus filter somewhere along the line remove the .zip file attached.

Whatever you do, do not attach files as self-extracting archives such as .exe self-unzipping files.

3. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

That doesn't seem like an adequate explanation. If I compose an email in outlook and I attach a separate outlook message to my email, every other user that views this message from outlook will see this as an attachment, despite the fact that outlook supports "in-line" display and recognizes the attachment - it is, after all, an outlook message.....

=|

4. memco macrumors 6502

I think what MisterMe was saying is that it is GMail that's causing the attachment to be displayed: it depends on the program whoever is getting your emails has whether or not the attachment is included in the email or just shown as an attachment.

As an example, if you open an email in Mail that has a PDF attached, Mail can automatically display the PDF in the email even though it's just an attachment.

Check the email to see if there's also a place to download the attachment as it should still be an attachment somewhere even if you can see its contents from within the email.