Mail in 10.5.6 - How can I get rid of the "!"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I just upgraded my mini from Tiger to 10.5.6, and at first I thought mail was refusing to go online because there are triangles with exclamation points inside next to both of my email accounts (they are gmail, btw). Yet I can send and receive emails. So then I though the exclamation points must mean something other than not being online, but when I clicked on one I got a message that said "Unable to connect, and gave me a blue "Take online" button. Clicking on this button did not make the exclamation point/triangles go away. So apparently Mail thinks it's offline even though it's obviously online. I tried the "Mailupdate10.5.6.dmg" file from Apple, but that didn't fix this issue. Anyone know how I can convince Mail that it's online?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

My Gmail accounts do this sporadically in Mail. I'm under the impression that Gmail's servers are kinda flaky.

Just make sure your Gmail settings are correct, and chances are this will go away on its own.

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Oddly, it never happens on my iMac (also running 105.6, and gmail accounts...although different gmail accounts). Yet with the mini, it's doing this consistently ever since upgrading the OS.

I've had other weird things happen with mail on the iMac, like occasionally it will ask me for my password and when I enter it, it asks for it again as if I've entered the wrong one. Yet if I click the button to ignore the password request, it works fine.

4. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Come to think of it now, the Mini has a PPC processor, and the iMac has an Intel. I wonder if this issue has to do specifically with the PPC 10.5.6 update. Any PPC owners care to share?

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

A lighting bolt symbol, I think, indicates when an azzount is "Offline" in Mail. The "!" just means it's having trouble connecting, like maybe there was an error with the server last time it tried to check your mail. I know, the message you get when you click on it is kind of weird, and the "!" still doesn't go away until you manually click the Get Mail button... or that's how it's been when I've seen it.

6. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

My "!" never goes away, even after clicking on "Get Mail". That's what's so weird. There is no sign of any problem connecting, and yet that "!" seems to be there permanently.

But I believe you are correct, in Leopard the lightning bolt symbol is what tells you you're offline. Maybe I'm wrong but I think previously the offline status was represented by "!".

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I would root around in you email account settings to see that everything is correct. Are you using Gmail through POP or IMAP? It's possible 10.5.6 updated Mail (did it? I don't recall seeing any mention of an update though) and introduced some incompatibility, or that Google made some change on their end. I'll add that I'm using Gmail IMAP through Mail and haven't had problems like this.

8. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Both accounts on the iMac (which does not have the "!") are POP. On the Mini, one account is POP and one is IMAP, and they both have the "!". Accounts on both machines are Gmail.

I can't find any problems with the account settings. I believe Mail did get updated with 10.5.6, because Apple then released "Mailupdate10.5.6.dmg" which I think is for people who's Mail did not get properly updated with the Leopard 10.5.6 update. And I did run the Mailupdate10.5.6, but it didn't make any difference.

As long as it works, I guess it's fine. Problem is, I wonder if I can be sure if it's always working. Maybe sometimes when I think no one has sent me an email, it's really because suddenly the "!" is for real and it's not connecting.