Mail 'junk mail' learning

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by drewaz, May 26, 2019.

1. drewaz macrumors 6502

I have legitimate mail the hits the junk mail folder despite always labeling it 'not junk' when I review it.

Junk mail filtering is enabled and I have created a rule to move mail from this sender to my in box. Nothing so far has seemed to work.

Does mail actually 'learn' what isn't junk?

2. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Junk filtering in Mail.app seems to be quite poor and impossible to learn anything. You may have to switch it off and do your own with filters.
    Now, if your filter is not moving specific message back to inbox, it is overwritten by Junk filters. You may need to check the checkbox "Filter junk before applying my rules". That should first move the message to junk (by Junk filtering) and after that apply your filter which would move it from Junk mailbox back to inbox. May be...
    But I find Junk filtering in Mail less than perfect, and that is very, very polite statement.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I gave up on Mail's junk filtering long ago, and paid the price for Spam Sieve, which works very well.

4. drewaz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for confirming my assessment. for some reason I figured that applying 'not junk' to mail that was in the junk mail box would teach Mail how to handle them .... doesn't appear that works.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Add: might also be contingent on your email provider.

I don't use the Mail.app filters, as pretty useless in that those do not get used in Mail on iOS.

I do use Gmail for mail service, and they do a good job of filtering on their end. And have user definable filters as well.

So, maybe, your mail provider is flagging as spam and Mail.app rules are ignoring them. Basically, think Mail.app is stuck in the 90s when POP3 was the main method and processing on the fly what it reads.