Mail moving messages around of its own accord

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Apr 18, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I have two inboxes and a few local folders that I "archive" mail to (one inbox is POP, the other IMAP). Mail has suddenly decided to start randomly moving messages around (well, "copying" them) into incorrect inboxes.

For example, I'll delete a message (move it to the trash can in mail) and then click into another folder, and a different message that was in the trash will appear in the original folder. If I delete this again, it seems to either move somewhere else or permanently remove it

Basically, Mail's randomly moving/copying messages about without me asking it to whenever I click on a folder/mailbox. Sometimes it'll copy a message from my IMAP folder to my POP folder. If I delete it from the POP folder, it also goes from the IMAP folder (thus removing it from the IMAP server). I therefore have to manually restore the deleted message to the IMAP folder.

How can I stop this? I've tried quitting mail, force-quitting mail and rebooting and none of that worked.

I'm using OSX 10.4.9 on a 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook

The only thing I've done just before this happened was reset the PRAM (boot up holding down Cmd + Alt + P + R) to try and temporarily cure an erratic temperature sensor on my PB, until I can take it in to be repaired (spending £1500 to end up with a 1.5 year old door stop - great! :rolleyes: )

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had this problem but apparently it was because I set up imap boxes instead of the other kind (I'm not too knowledgeable in this). My e-mail host was actually sending them both places.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's definitely not happening, because I've had these two accounts (by two totally separate providers) for about 18 months and it's only started today.