Mail or Thunderbird / iCal or Sunbird -- whats the + / - of either?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrossFireXT17, Feb 10, 2009.

1. CrossFireXT17 macrumors member

Hey does anyone here use Thunderbird or Sunbird? What do you like about it better then using mail or iCal? I always like just switching things if other programs offer me something better

thanks!

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'm partial to the Mail/iCal combo myself. Especially if you're interested in syncing with an iPhone or other mac via mobileMe or other service like that.

I manage 6 different email accounts in Mail w/ great ease.

3. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I use the Mail/iCal Combo, I find it very easy to use both and run my .Mac and Gmail from it and sync events with my iPhone.

My guess is that Mail/iCal will run more "naturally" and smoother on the Macintosh because it is Apple's software, instead of third party software.

;)

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I used thunderbird a while ago after I needed a solution to Microsoft Entourage. Wasn't too fond of it, but can't really remember why. Tried mail and liked it much more and now I have an iPhone, the integration between mail, iCal and phone works really well.

The only thing I don't like about mail is that address book has to be run as a seperate app rather than been intergrated into mail. I know this is so other apps can use it easily, but thats just my personal opinion.

5. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thunderbird always seemed 'windows-esque' to me. I prefer Mail, it's simplicity and obvious OS integration is key.

I use Mail to manage my wife's account and my own, we have them both running in the same instance of Mail (no switching users to check mail). We then use Dockstar to get individual notifications (I get a red circle on the dock icon when I get mail and my wife gets a pink heart (sappy I know)).

Just to echo what has already been said, if you have an iPhone, you'll appreciate the OS integration more.

BTW, you can begin to type an e-mail address into the 'to' field and will autopopulate with people in your Address Book if that's any good for you? I don't see the need to have Address Book open anyway.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Switched from Thunderbird to Mail when I moved from Windows back to Mac. Tbird was the best Windows mail app but seems clunky when compared to Mail. Now I also have Mobile Me so Mail is indispensable.

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

On Windows, I used Thunderbird and Sunbird.

On a Mac, I tried Thunderbird- didn't like it- and I tried Sunbird- didn't like it either. Really, Mail (also called 'Mail.app') and iCal are all I use. They sync perfectly with my iPod touch 2nd generation, plus they look good with the rest of the bundled apps in OS X Leopard.

Plus the features like automatic Mail -> iCal integration is really nice. For example, if someone sends you a date and an address, Mail.app will recognize that and send it to iCal as a new event. Isn't that neat!? :D Unfortunately, Thunderbird and Sunbird don't work like that.

So bottom line: Your best bet is to stick with Mail.app and iCal.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I use Thunderbird on Windows. I don't really like it.

On a Mac I use Mail.app and iCal. Both superb applications for the Macintosh. They integrate very well with other applications and Apple hardware.