Mail size limited to 1.5mb. How do I get iP4 to use server on WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Nov 18, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

when I send those big HD sized photos from my iP4 the SoftBank mobile carrier here says I can't send anything over 1.5mb. That's fine if I'm on the road using the mobile network...I get it...but if I'm at home using WiFi on a regular ISP's network why am I still getting that message? Is my iP4 still using the mobile network to send mail? If so, how do I get my iP4 to use the mail server on my WiFi instead? Does the iP4 do this automatically? I thought regular IPSs had limits of about 5mb? Could it really be possible that both SoftBank mobile and NTT internet ISP both have crap mail limits?

2. jsh macrumors regular

Chqnge the mail server for your email account. It has nothing to do with wether you are on WiFi or 3G.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Makes sense...but why then does iTunes say you can't download apps over 24mb unless you're on WiFi? Why would it be any different for iTunes?

p.s. Can you use ANY mail server (that you have an account with), with any email address? So even though my email address is xxx@i.softbank.jp I can use any mail server for which I have an account and password for? They don't have to match or something?

4. zephxiii macrumors 6502

iTunes is not email, completely different things. And yes, your email server is most likely the one with the limit. Not much you can do other than get email service with someone else.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

iTunes Apps and e-mail are two totally different things. One has nothing to do with how the other works.

No, you cannot. E-mail servers are authoritative for their domains (the part after the @). So xxx@i.softbank.jp can only be used on i.softbank.jp servers.

I suggest you get a Gmail account. Gmail will handle 25MB attachments.

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

But that's the thing.... I obviously tried my gmail account after my SoftBank email failed. I got the same oversize message even when I used gmail.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That just doesn't sound right. How was that error presented? Was it a bounced back e-mail? If so, can you post it here with it's header? (This is kind of what I do for a living btw....I'm an e-mail admin)

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

That doesn't sound right. I use gmail to send full size images and short movies all the time. On wifi and 3G. I've never received this message.

However, some email server that you SEND to could have a size limitation on attachments. So it could be that. Try sending a full sized HD image from your gmail account to your gmail account (send it to yourself).

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Duh, good point. Not sure why I didn't point that out.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it should work w/ gmail w/out limit, try sending it to a different email address like another Gmail address...