Mail: Stop Download of 3yrs of Email from Gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brettinlj, Oct 18, 2008.

1. brettinlj macrumors member

Sorry, but I am very new to Mac (just bought today). I was wondering if there is a way to stop Mail from download 3 years worth of mail from my Gmail account, and just get the last few weeks or few months. I took the Gmail account offline in mail after the first 1000 messages or so. I went through all the Preferences options and menu option, but maybe I missed that setting.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Khenpo macrumors newbie

Pop Solution to massive downloads

This is not a perfect work-around to the problem above; but it is a "solution" that allows one to use the POP servers on GMail and Yahoo: 1) Go to you Apple Mail preferences and create rule that moves mail older than "X" days to the Trash folder (I set mine for 180 days). From time to time, go to the Mailbox pull-down menu and empty the trash. I was able to deal with 4 years worth of mail from 4 accounts (which I had already archived in MailSteward) rather effortlessly.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you're responding to a thread that is over a year old, and one that has already had the solution provided. Second, your "solution" doesn't prevent downloading all the email, as the OP asked. It just trashes it after it's downloaded. It's not a "work-around" at all. It just downloads everything and adds another step of trashing it after it's downloaded. The OP didn't say they wanted to trash the email. They just wanted to avoid downloading it.