Mailbox Apple app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brounmoney, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

So this may have already been posted, and if so please just move this, but I just saw a video for the mailbox app from apple and it looks pretty cool. I also reserved a place in line when it is release. Ok so the real question I had was is this a preview to what is to come from apple in the coming months when iOS 7 is release? It looks much different from anything they have done before. It looks like it could be a new design they are working on. I would love it if this is the direction they go. Looks real clean and new. New is something we have not had much of from iOS in terms of design.

Here is the link to the gizmodo post and the video of mailbox.
    http://m.gizmodo.com/5978024/mailbox-sign-up-for-the-impending-email-revolution

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

MacRumors reported on this last month but not since the reservation option was made available to the public (earlier today, right?).

Either way, it's not an Apple app so no, it shouldn't be thought of as indicative of what iOS 7 will look like or function like. That's not to say iOS 7 won't in any way resemble this but there's no direct link between this app and Apple.

3. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh sorry I thought it was an apple app. Sorry. You can delete the post if you need to.

4. Bear macrumors G3

You should also note that you need to give the company that does the software your gmail username AND PASSWORD. Do you really want to do that?

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

So what? If the company has no bad intentions there is no problem. They seem like a legit company.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that makes this app a no go for me.

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Well, unless you want to use only the official Gmail app, you'll be giving some company your Google account information. If they do something they're not supposed to with it, you can sue their pants off.

8. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

How do you know they need your gmail username and password? I see no indication that it won't work like any other e-mail client, where your credentials stay local.

9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I got my reservation number and private code in my email today. Honestly I had forgot I even signed up for this. But no it's nothing that has to do with iOS 7. It's just a regular app that's going to be in the App Store soon.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Look at their website. The reservation is not to download the app. It's to access their servers. Their servers access gmail and then you access your gmail through their servers.

----------

Not all mail apps will require you to give your email password(s) to servers run by people who wrote the app.

I also wonder if this technically violates the gmail ToS by giving them your password.

11. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I just put in a reservation for it, but now I'm reading that all email goes through their servers first? Is this true?

If so, I would be concerned about:

1. Privacy - I don't want another set of eyes reading my email.
    2. Inconsistent delivery - Another server in between Gmail / Exchange and me just means one more link in the chain that can break.

Might have to cancel the reservation after all if this is true.