Maine governor "apologizes" for comparing IRS to Gestapo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yet another one of these GOP things that just makes you shake your head...

Yeah. Never occurred to this guy that comparing health care reform to the people who carried out the Holocaust might just be trivializing the Holocaust.

Nor that "freedom" might not include the "right" to be a freeloader on the health system, which costs the rest of us.

Finally, let me point out that he did not apologize. Although he did tap dance around the whole thing very prettily.

Grow the **** up, governor.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Quite frankly, if one looks back at Herr LePage's comments over the past 2 years, he's the closest we have to an elected Nazi.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Republicans have been trying "stream of consciousness" speaking of late.

What sticks with the public they use, what doesn't they apologize.

Rinse brain, repeat.

4. Kate. macrumors regular

On behalf of the good people of the state of Maine, I apologize that our governor is such an idiot. Try the lobster, it's excellent.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When the left calls elected officials nazis I'll be sure to remind them.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The "left?" How about a Democrat of the same standing as the esteemed Governor from the great state of Maine. Until then, please keep adding to the conversations with your witty, thought provoking and intellectual banter. I can't tell you how much posts like ^ that stimulate me into an intellectual frenzy. :rolleyes:

(edit) On a side note, even if someone on the "left" compares an elected Republican official to a nazi, that might not be enough. The comparison has to be as loony as the one made by the esteemed Governor. Unfortunately, many comparisons of GOP lawmakers to fascists and promoters of an oligarchy have a basis in fact.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I always reminded of the saying "Engage brain, before you engage mouth" when I read things like this. :D

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And smarter, too!

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

While I do have some concerns about the ethical guidelines in which the IRS operates from, none of those concerns involve torturing and executing citizens. Perhaps his comparison was just a little too extreme... :rolleyes:

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, they are self-aware as to why they are there, in the grand scheme of things.

A laudable trait. ;)

11. AhmedFaisal Guest

The IRS is probably the only government agency capable and willing to pursue white collar crime. The SEC for one is a complete waste of space, still, and it would be better to be shed of it rather than give people the illusion that that whorehouse called Wallstreet is regulated and law abiding.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

At this point, no politician should be allowed to say any phrase or terminology which refers to World War II unless they're actually talking about World War II.

This includes blitzkrieg, Nazi, Hitler, Gestapo, and holocaust. Failure to comply should require said person to be shut in a room for a 24-hour marathon of documentaries about the horrors of the Holocaust and World War II.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have a great way of wording things:D. They do this because it appeals to uneducated people who merely associate the era with a general feeling of negativity and little historical detail.