MAJOR crashing on 3GS after upgrading to 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by potejam, Nov 11, 2010.

1. potejam macrumors newbie

Hi, I finally decided to upgrade my OS to 4.x since more and more apps were becoming unusable on 3.1.3 (which I was very happy with).

The upgrade and jailbreak were successful, and I reinstalled all my JB apps with AptBackup.

But basically as soon as I finished the process I began having huge problems. First, the system was noticeably sluggish and unresponsive. But more importantly, it was crashing left and right. The springboard would restart in Safe Mode, and I would get the prompt to respring again in normal mode (with the usual caption that Mobile Substrate did not cause the crash).

After a little while I started noticing some patterns. EVERY time I view the Spotlight screen, this happened and I had to respring twice to get back on track. It doesn't matter if I type anything, try to swipe to exit, hit "home" to exit, or lock the unit. As soon as the Spotlight screen is in view, the system crashes. I have tried "disabling" Spotlight through the settings (which as far as I can tell, doesn't actually disable it, but just tells it not to index anything), and I have made sure that I am up to date with all my Cydia apps.

One thing that may be worth noting is that I downloaded the Disable Multitasking tweak, and am using Backgrounder. I also have Inspell installed, both of which may be attempting (but not succeeding) to override the default Apple features. I have also had similar crashes while working within other apps, or arranging folders with Folder Enhancer installed.

But the main thing is that consistent crash when the Spotlight screen is viewed. I have done several searches for keywords, but it doesn't seem that anyone else is having issues with the Spotlight causing a crash.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing that I'm noticing now that I'm trying to use the phone:

Any attempt to select a word for copy/paste crashes the app, regardless of what it the app is.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I say restore and rejailbreak.
    Setup as new phone and dont restore from backup.
    Then install your cydia apps one by one slowly checking in between if any of them are causing those issues you have now.

4. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's an option. I have a feeling it's a Cydia app, or some combination of them that's causing the problem. The phone is nearly unuseable in its current state.

But wouldn't setting up as a new phone cause me to lose my contacts, etc? (app settings are less of an issue)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, probably a conflict between packages or bad/buggy package installed.
    You can transfer your contacts to your computer and then sync them back after the restore.
    Its always good to do a clean restore though so bugs like that dont carry over from your old backup.