Major incident in UK with National Health Service effected by cyber-attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by deany, May 12, 2017.

1. deany, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

This is very serious as if effects hospitals and Doctors surgeries, people turned away from A&E, operations being cancelled etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

Worth mentioning that as of Dec 2016 90% of hospitals in the UK were running Windows XP
    • Mainstream support ended on April 14, 2009.
    • Extended support ended on April 8, 2014
    I read a few years ago the NHS had a contract with MicroSoft which ran into hundreds of millions of pounds to continue support of XP, but it seems the system was not robust enough.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Never pay the attackers because (A) there is no guarantee that the blackmailers will hold to their agreement and (B) paying them literally funds more attacks.

Normally I would say no big deal, go to the archived backups and you've only lost data since the last backup. But on the other hand if NHS IT departments think it is okay to run Windows XP on critical computers that are connected to the entire world, then they are either too budget-starved, too incompetent, or too lazy to have archived backups.

3. jasnw macrumors 6502

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

90% were running Windows XP???????????

My friends that work in healthcare it at tiny hospitals without a lot of funding that are running on iPads, Macs, and Windows 10 devices. What the f.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not just U.K. but Europe and Asia in general are being hit by this today. Even Russia! (Karma)

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

And I thought hospitals stuck on windows 7 was bad.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Time to dust off the drones when they find the people who did this.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your information is off. The uk government pays Microsoft to maintain windows xp ;)

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Of course the Tories will blame terrorists, the public sector, and whomever other than themselves for starving the NHS of funds so the organisation could update its computers and security. All because they want to cater to the top 1%, and so austerity rules.

I wonder if Putin has anything to do with this. Relations between the UK and Russia and even worse than between the US and Russia.

10. jerwin, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

jerwin macrumors 65816

Large organizations often have quite a bit of cruft. It might be easier to bite the bullet when the remaining issues are easy for one or two persons to comprehend.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

No.

http://gizmodo.com/u-s-government-fears-a-monday-explosion-of-the-ransomw-1795208518

We can blame U.S., or specifically the NSA.

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

13. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

When I say tiny I mean like 25-30,000 devices. Mix of Windows, iPads, etc..

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Which is precisely what Putin wants - to damage US institutions. I agree that the NSA keeping these exploits to themselves was beyond stupid, but I'll wait to see who investigators conclude is behind the attacks. It sounds like a state-sponsored attack is very unlikely given the distribution of this malware across countries, but let's see what the authorities say. The good news is that multiple governments are investigating, so it will be hard to bend the truth about it.

15. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Wasn't Russia also hit though? Smells like organised crime to me.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed - it probably was.

18. zin macrumors 6502

"Just build the backdoor for us, Apple. Nobody else will ever find it", said the FBI.

Thank god we avoided that disaster waiting to happen.

19. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I can't understand why institutions can't simply update their software???

20. VulchR, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It costs money (new machine to run the new OS's, the OS licenses, the cost of software updates, and the costs of staff to support updates). Also, in hospitals some of the machines are attached to devices that cannot be updated easily or cheaply. In my lab we just recently updated from Win95 to Win7, and the cost was thousands of pounds because of all the perfectly functional hardware that had to be replaced to enable my electronics to work with Win7. We only managed this because we received 'hand-me-down' machines from a computer cluster....

In the UK, the NHS and other public services have been starved of funds by politicians that believe in the austerity fairy. I note that the UK was hit hard, along with much poorer nations than actually have an excuse.

21. sim667, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

sim667 macrumors 65816

You've got to wonder what level of recruitment is going on at places like GCHQ etc too.

This attack, was literally stopped by chance, a geek in the UK found an unregistered domain name in the source code, and decided to register it. Thats what shutdown the attack.

Tech agencies seemed to have been sitting round scratching their heads.

Edit: Just to add, the British press thanked him by doxxing him.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

That's not good, though I still have seen hospitals in the US run windows xp.

I think for the most part my hospital is still on Windows 8. The hospital network recently spent almost 1B (billion) updating their EHR program.

It must be a nightmare over there. It's bad enough when our network goes down here every once in a blue moon.

That's some pretty sick hacking to do. I get going after bad guys or trying to extort money, but messing with healthcare... not cool.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ransomware hack linked to North Korea, researchers say

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ransomware-hacking-and-north-korea/101733800/

Such a horrible country. Unless of course they are being framed by the west to provide even more justification that we do something about them.

If it really was them, then it wasn't too bright as China and Russia were hit too. Doesn't seem to be a good idea to be unleashing something on countries that are halfway friendly to them. Are they trying to alienate every single country on the planet? I don't think that will end well for them.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

As if it was North Korea

Its some private individuals trying to make some money through ransom.

25. daflake macrumors 6502a