Major Issues With SIM Cards - VZ

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IlliniGuy76, Sep 25, 2012.

1. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

As some of you know on here - I have been having horrible up/down speeds when testing my new iPhone 5. I was on the phone this evening with a VZ tech and he even noticed by looking at my SIM that I was having very slow speeds.

I'm also having an issue with my speaker on my phone - it sounds like when people are talking to me that they are talking into a drum.

Anyways - when I actually called a VZ location earlier today they told me to contact VZ directly because there is a huge shortage of SIM cards.

I told the VZ rep on the phone this and as he was looking for a SIM card to replace my current one he said, "Wow! I almost thought we didn't have one for you. There IS a HUGE shortage right now of SIM cards. There must be a huge issue with the current SIM's that are out there on these iPhone 5's. We've had a ton needing to be shipped out".

Thought I'd share....

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Or maybe Verizon didn't order enough for store supply and this is the first phone using nano sim. Sucks they are a pain to get right now though. Hopefully more LTE phones go nano and Verizon has a reason to stock them.

3. IlliniGuy76 thread starter macrumors regular

No he specifically mentioned that this was AFTER the launch of the iPhone 5 and a huge influx of SIM returns.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The Apple stores have tons of them. I walked in and got one no problem.

5. Philly10 macrumors newbie

Verizon is having many issues with their servers. I'm in the Philly/south jersey area, and my lte and 3G connections are awful...I rarely ever get an lte connection. Even my 3G connection is very slow at times. I have called all local stores to get a SIM card but none have any in stock. I called verizon customer service and they created a ticket number on my behalf..

6. dpw84 macrumors member

I had issues with my SIM on launch day, I was getting No Sim Installed the second it went through the activation process. When I called later that night I was told by a rep that there was a bad batch shipped out with iPhones. I wound up not needing a new one though as right when I was connected with the rep I happened to pop the Sim card out and noticed that the contacts seemed like they were not clean. I wiped it off with a cloth and when i put the Sim back in it worked right away.

7. IlliniGuy76 thread starter macrumors regular

Who knows...

I'm having painfully slow speeds - not reaching a anything higher then 6 Mbps down and 4 up on numerous tests. This is in addition to the speaker issue I'm having where the person on the other side of the phone sounds like they are in a tunnel.

8. dpw84 macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with call quality, but I was getting 6 Mbps down and 5 up and then I switched the server and I got 45 Down and 11 up.

9. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

Same thing with mine that came today. Coul not even get the tray out to reset the sim card. Going to VW in the morning, but was told the chances of them having a replacement sim was slim and none. Hoping for the best.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

+1 for your username

I would try to go through the Apple store to see if they can help you out.

11. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

There's nothing on the SIM that would cause slow speeds or anything like that.

All the SIM contains is an identification number, that's it.

12. climber20 macrumors member

The reason why they're running so low is because everyone with an unlimited data plan tried to exploit a loophole in order to retain their plan while getting the subsidized price for the phone. People quickly realized that they needed a new sim if they wanted to switch the phone from one line to a different one without waiting 2 days. Many people, including me, went back to the Verizon store after realizing this and requested replacement sims.

If Verizon would have just let their customers retain their data plan without having to jump through hoops to exploit their oversight, then there would be plenty of sim cards to go around. Now the customers still have their unlimited data plans, and Verizon is out tens of thousands of sim cards. They're morons and should have seen this coming.

13. jester0723 macrumors regular

I went to Apple at like 3:00pm on launch day and got a new SIM.

14. Philly10 macrumors newbie

What do you mean you switched servers? I am having really slow speeds as well. I went to verizon today and had them swap out my sim for a new one. My speeds haven't changed. My 3G connections are extremely slow as well. Sometimes the page won't even load. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have called verizon and gotten a ticket, but I have not heard back in 2 days. I'm thinking AT&T may have been the way to go