Major Probs after upgrading to OS4 on my 3GS - Please help, Apple nor AT&T could!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScrappyDoo80, Jul 2, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo80 macrumors member

So last night I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to OS4... And after the entire process I would have full 5 Bars and 3G signal but would not be able to use any data at all... and when I made calls it would say "Call Forwarding Activated", when I received them it would say "Incoming Call Forwarded"... No go after many different reboots, syncs, etc.

I called Apple iPhone support. Gentleman spent an hour with me, we tried many different things, and no avail. He would up having to call me back like 5 times, and would up getting AT&T rep on the phone. She spent 30 mins with me and left me with "You're going to need to restore. I'll call you tomorrow to check on you."

So when I restore completely, I get the 5 bars and service and the phone works. BUT AS SOON as I sync my phone and get my contacts/apps/music/etc. and the phone ends the sync, same thing: Data doesn't work *AT ALL* but it looks like its working and the phone "call forwards."

I have redone this 5 times since 9:45 last nite. I am at the point now where I've restored and my phone seems be working but I have not synced it so I have no contacts/apps/music/etc. --- it's like its NOT MY PHONE, because as soon as I do I will lose my ability to actually use the phone.

Does anyone have ANY Help, please? Thanks in advance, I am clueless.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Obviously there's some setting being transferred in the sync that is screwing things up. When you sync, are you actually restoring from a backup?

3. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am restoring from backup... However, I had done it maybe 3 times from the most recent (last nite before the process backup), and then i thought, let me try some earlier, and the next earliest was May 6th. I tried that restore from backup (may 6th) and the same thing happened. What else can I do, am I going to have to lose all my apps/music/contacts? Thanks BTW.

4. Adisah macrumors regular

Save all your stuff to your computer and do a fresh install. You can always sync all the stuff back from your computer. Like put your contacts on like address book or something. Google contacts, etc.

Your music should still be in your music library, if not where are you syncing it from. Your apps should also be on your computer still.

DO NOT restore from backup because every time you do that you restore the corrupted files.

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Back up your phone, then do a complete reset, but when you resync do it as new, then try the phone.

This will eliminate all the unknowns and you will be able to see if is an iPhone and OS issue or something in the configuration you are running.

I did this at first when I upgraded, then after going thru all the configs I found one that works perfect, and I find iOS4 much better on my 3GS, however now I am running an i4, but my 3GS runs much better now.

6. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

OK as we speak I am "Setting up as a new iPhone." We'll see what happens. Thanks for help btw.

7. jlamb0 macrumors member

I am having the same issue!

Whenever I make or receive a call, I get the same "Call Forwarding Active" message.

Curiously, the message does not pop up when I call my fiancee's cell phone, but this may be because we share an account with AT&T?

I called AT&T and they said call forwarding was NOT, in fact, active and that they couldn't help me. Apple said they couldn't do anything either.

I have restored 3 times now, twice as a new phone, but the issue persists.

OP, you say this issue coincided with your install of iOS 4? Did you by any chance join up with Google Voice last week when it was made public? I first noticed the issue after linking my cell phone with GV, and I haven't been able to get rid of it since. I have attributed the problem to my playing around with Google Voice, but I signed up right around the time iOS 4 was released to the public, so it may be coincidence.

Did you sign up for Google Voice and link it to your iPhone like I did?

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I had a horrible time with Google Voice on my since returned Droid. GV works great for a lot of people, but if you are one of the unlucky ones to have problems or corruption in your GV configuration/account - you're basically screwed.

I had to get a whole new phone number.

9. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Did you try going in network settings and doing a reset?

10. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

I tried everything!

No Google Voice for me, but it did start when I went to OS4. The only way I could get any relief was to restore clean, set up as a new phone, and then I had to sync only like my contacts ... Phone worked. Then I went in and synced my music library, phone worked. At this point, I knew from the 5 past restores that if I synced all my apps, it would not work, so I did not. I have downloaded maybe 5-10 of the most frequently used apps I use, directly onto my phone from App Store, and I am still working okay. But I still think its kind of terrible, I literally basically lost everything and it took my like 24 hours of working on it to get my phone back. and a bunch of Googling suggests it is in fact an OS4 issue, that *in addition* to Apple's iPhone 4 problems they may actually have software problems.

Now I also did read the source of all of this could be the Facebook app. Something about the Facebook app is causing problems. SO I have not put the facebook app back on my phone yet, just in case.

11. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

Oh and one more thing...

AT & mothertrucking T,,, Remember how ms customer service rep basically said "Oops! Try restoring, I'll call you tomorrow at 1:30 EST" ... she calls me at 6:56PM , leaves me a msg "Sorry I was busy earlier. Its now 7pm on Friday night before July 4th . Please pick up so we can continue your att service request etc."

then CALLS BACK at 9:07 PM EST, "Because you are failing to answer your phone I will assume you have no need of further assistance and close your service ticket. Ticket closed at 9 oclock friday night before 4th of july and you're not answering even tho I promised I would call at 1:30 when you said you would be available. Thanks for paying AT&T $134 a month sucka!!!"

obviously I exxageratred a bit but really?? 7 and 9 pm friday night? And because I dont answer the service ticket is closed? ATT sucks.

12. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Ok I can solve your problem.

1st check this:

Go to Settings-Phone-Call Forwarding

Make sure that is turned off.

Then call up ATT and have them re provision your sim card/imei, meaning they should remove it from their system and re add it. This should resend the activation ping and the phone should be good. If you have another old iphone call them up and ask them to activate it using its original sim and then activate your 3gs.

13. jlamb0 macrumors member

Yes, this is one of the things the AT&T rep had me try. My network settings show that call forwarding is actually disabled, and choosing the option to reset doesn't fix the problem.

Last night I restored as a new phone again and only synced my contacts, just like the OP. This seemed to fix it!

I then re-synced one thing at a time, making sure I could make calls in between. So far, so good. And I have Facebook installed, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The only thing I haven't done is re-jailbreak. I still had the issue after restoring clean before, so I don't think the jailbreak was the issue, but I'll operate under stock-configuration for a week or so just to be safe.

OP, was your phone jailbroken when you had the problem?

14. theharleyman macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem as the OP but only when using 3G. Data works fine at home using WIFI. Any suggestions? Not sure how to restore as new.

15. jlamb0 macrumors member

"Restore as New iPhone" is one of the options available to you when you restore your iPhone (The alternative is "Restore from backup...").

Just plug your iPhone into your computer, and go to the "Summery" tab when it appears in iTunes. There are buttons here for "Update" and "Restore." Click Restore and follow the directions.