Major Safari annoyance: before finishing typing URL, Safari loads random page

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Goldfrapp, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

OMG, this has been driving me absolutely crazy since day one. Now, I know Mavericks isn't out yet and is still a beta, but I would like to know if it's happening to anyone else.

This problem is somewhat hard to explain. Basically, before you finish typing a URL into the address bar, all of a sudden, Safari loads a page for the incomplete URL.

Let's say I would like to go to macrumors.com. I type in m, a, c, and bam, Safari interrupts my typing and loads mac.com instead.

I really have no idea what could be causing this or how to fix it. What's interesting is that it doesn't happen in any other app. Is that a bug or a feature? Does it happen to anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fietsbel macrumors member

i had these problems in the previous beta;s but it solved since the last 2 beta;s.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This isn't isolated to 10.9; I'm on 10.8 and often run into this (since at least 10.8.3, possibly earlier). If it's truly been fixed in the latest 10.9 beta then I'll be happy.

4. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Then what gives? I'm on the latest beta, and the issue still persists. :confused:

5. arteggio macrumors member

Is it Safari loading a page on its own or the Enter key being signaled by something? I've experienced this too, but I feel like it's happened outside the URL bar. Unfortunately I can't remember the specific instances.

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I've been running OS Mavericks since DP2 and I experienced that bug in DP2, but since I haven't encountered the problem. Did you download the combo update from DP4 to DP8? This is how I updated to DP8 and stopped experiencing the bug.

Hope this helps,
    - Kyle

7. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

It's really both if you think about it. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever encountered in Mac OS. :confused::confused:

----------

The only way I've been updating to the latest DP is via Software Update. Is it considered combo?

8. MeUnix macrumors 6502

The way I did it was by going to the developer website and downloading the DP4 version, then upgrading each DP version until the latest through the App Store.

- Kyle

9. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Thanks, I'll try that.