Majority objects to teaching arabic ....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, May 18, 2019.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The stupid in this country runs deep. In a Civic Science poll of 3200 people, covering several subjects, the 29% of respondents who felt that it was appropriate to teach arabic numerals in schools were dwarfed by the 56% who thought it was a bad idea.

Yes, it was sort of a gotcha question, in a way, but holy shoe polish, how knee-jerk ignorant can some people be? Our education system is seriously failing us.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

...How ironic.

3. Altis macrumors 68030

Understatement of the century.

I'm forever astounded by just how little the public school teachers know. It's quite concerning. o_O

4. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Maybe I’m stupid, but I don’t see anything wrong with their post.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

One's a Democrat, the other is a Republican. Tom and Jerry. Coyote and Road Runner. Dog and cat. You see, it's more than that. It's an online tryst between two human beings oblivious to their own deep and very sentimental feelings towards one another.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Perhaps even more ironic is that Arabic numerals come from India, thus their name is a bit of a misnomer. I’m guessing that’s not a well known fact.

This certainly demonstrates a lack of knowledge but I’m not sure to what degree you can claim intolerance, though I’m sure that’s a factor with some of the respondents. If people don’t know our standard numerical system uses Arabic Numerals, then I can see why they would probably think it’s silly to teach an additional system of numbers. In the same sense most would probably think teaching Cyrillic, Hebrew, or Greek numerals is unnecessary.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

I bet they'd get more votes if they were renamed to Freedom numerals.

Except from Yangs, for whom it's a worship word.

8. niji, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019

niji Contributor

niji

amazing.
    truly amazing.

words have no meaning for these people, and sentences can have no meaning for these people.

this is a poll that i will never be able to forget.
    it actually explains a great deal.

what to do about it?
    democratic values depend on an electorate that can understand basic concepts - and elementary level words.

rump said it " i love the uneducated" . remember that?

there are two images/sound bites that define rump to me:
    his comment about his loving the uneducated, and, his physically coming onto a stage and hugging the American flag.

both clearly appeal to the 56% of this poll.

a grieving widow of a deceased iraq war veteran embracing the folded american flag presented to her, is a portrait in courage and sacrifice and brings tears to most of us.
    ny state draft dodger rump hugging the flag as an obvious ploy for votes should be offensive to all - even to these 56%.

9. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Wait.....Are we talking about Bill Clinton? Clinton had a good time in Canada dodging the draft if I remember correctly. Just saying........:p

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

What about those Roman Numerals! I am sick of the Romulan Empire and their X's and I's!!!!!

11. yaxomoxay, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

As a descendant of the Roman Empire, and the Roman Republic, I am too against teaching Arabic numerals.
    Hereby signed on V XVIII, MMIXX

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

One of your ancestors killed his father for money and had both hands cut off and hung from his neck, then quartered by a horse on the orders of a justice over 500 years ago. I'm not sure you should decide on teaching anything. :p

13. ThisBougieLife, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Most people are stupid. If they weren't, you wouldn't be able to feel so superior. Cherish it. :) I do.

Most jagaloons in this country probably couldn't point to Canada on a map. "Oh come on, anyone can miss Canada. All tucked away down there..."

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I learned from the past. Now I am the judge, jury, and executioner.

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

Easy there, Rocky.

16. niji Contributor

niji

a grieving widow of a deceased iraq war veteran embracing the folded american flag presented to her, is a portrait in courage and sacrifice and brings tears to most of us.
    ny state draft dodger rump hugging the flag as an obvious ploy for votes should be offensive to all - even to these 56%

bill is from Arkansas.
    the NY draft dodger is rump.

commonality: impeached and about to be impeached.

rump said it " i love the uneducated" .

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Are these people also opposed to gum arabic? Do they know how many confections it's in? Get those sharia M&Ms off the shelves! :mad: