Make no mistake, Trump's tweets about Hamilton incident is a diversion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 19, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

To take minds off of the real story that Trump settled his fraud lawsuit. And he can't even stop himself from bragging about it on twitter.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So wait it's a diversion for something else he also tweeted about?

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Two threads about Trump's 'Hamilton' tweets? PSRI is quite granular these days.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Here's the cool thing - if you want to know what is going on with Trump, you need not follow him on Twitter.

Rather, you need only follow @samcraig, who retweets every single Trump tweet and - as he did here - even gives analysis of what Trump tweets don't mean.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Sad is how those upset about the thread feel obligated to post in them instead of just "getting over it" as they suggest other people do.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They seem to get triggered by Trump related threads.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's going to be a long 4 (or less) years.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

/thread

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, at least it makes a welcome and a rather refreshing change from the many 'Hillary Clinton (insert random animal noun here, invariably insulting)' profoundly offensive threads started by you with the tedious regularity of a metronome during the electoral cycle.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Source a 'Hillary Clinton (insert random animal noun here, invariably insulting)' thread started by myself or retract the statement.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I will say that I don't think you've started such threads. However, you did have quite a fondness for starting threads about every crazy conspiracy theory under the sun. Hyperbole - perhaps. But I don't think you and some others should be talking about thread creation and topics. Are you also against free speech? ;)

12. Scepticalscribe, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the words 'bitch' and 'pig' were bandied about by you and your fellow travellers, sexist insulting stuff, based on what a person is, rather than what they stand for.

I never minded anyone calling out Hillary Clinton on her policies, or her slightly ambiguous relationship with capital, and regrettably close ties with powerful elites; I might disagree with them, - both Secretary Clinton, and those who would have called her out on such grounds - mainly because I would have preferred for Secretary Clinton to have won the election - anyone was better than the perfectly dreadful Mr Trump - but that was political debate.

Besides, in my country, I vote left; had I been in the US, I would almost certainly have voted for Mr Sanders in the primaries, and then supported Secretary Clinton.

However, the grotesquely insulting personal attacks and nasty subliminal sexism of some of the threads you and your fellow travellers started - and yes, your threads, exquisitely nasty and endlessly insulting - delicately navigating the border between contempt and lobbing insults based on appearance and gender - enabled an element of hate filled speech to become a new norm on these threads.

I daresay it is an achievement of sorts, but it is not one to be especially proud of.

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Really? Are you not proud of your insults about Melanie Trump's physical appearance, which you posted in the PRSI thread comparing Trump's family to Kennedy's Camelot? Here is one of those statements you made:

"Let's put it this way: I'm a white, European "femme d'un age certain" - and - while I would never - ever - have aspired to the look of Melania Trump, - because I think it frightful and frankly, rather unnerving - I would have loved to have been able to look the way Michelle Obama does now."

Here is another:

"Firstly, I am struck by how stupefyingly unnatural and strikingly disproportional her appearance seems. That is, not only her body, but her face which is not remotely natural in appearance.

Worse, this unnatural visage does not - remotely - serve to enhance her facial contours; it is completely out of proportion and utterly devoid of human expression.

Secondly, that this apparition has been packaged and presented as a 'look' that that women ought to consider emulating or, aspiring to would be a cause of concern to me."

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is your answer at @Scepticalscribe because she suggests that Melania is not beautiful, or that she used entire descriptive phrases instead of just referring to her as "dog Melania," which is the best most could do with Clinton?

15. Scepticalscribe, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, dear.

Confusing informed opinion with insult, are we? (Suppresses snigger).

The threads on this very forum during this recent appalling election campaign served to further enable - and allow - the clear and open expression of egregious and grossly offensive insults of a sexist and racist (I seem to recall the ugly word 'stench' used in connection with the White House - that particular thread seems to have been consigned to the ether) nature and to normalise them.

You - and this forum - have enabled and facilitated and encouraged the expression of grotesque and foul hatreds under the guise of 'freedom of expression' and have made insult rather than debate the norm.

Re Melania Trump, if you think this is how women ought to be encouraged to want to present themselves, then, you really have a problem, - this is not an appearance that can be emulated or ought to be emulated, - and it serves to reinforce my long held view that what is considered 'attractive' is a lot less 'hard-wired' (that stupid misuse of scientific vocabulary misappropriated into discussions of biology yet again) than many males would like to think, and is, in fact, a social and cultural construct.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Betty White always is

18. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

You still have not responded to my earlier request for you to be more specific as to what features of Melanie's appearance that "frightens and unnerves" you. Hopefully you are not bothered by physical characteristics that she was born with, such as the shape of her eyes, lips, or contours of her cheekbones.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    She hasn't been descriptive enough regarding the physical characteristics of Melanie that "frightens and unnerves her." I honestly don't know what it is about her looks that bothers her so, or why she needs to demean another woman for how she looks.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And?

The brittle and neurotic defensiveness of some American men is astounding.

If you find her attractive, fine. (Well, no.....but..)

I think that any society that presents the clearly artificial and quite improbable appearance that she does as a desirable ideal needs its head examined.

(And yes, its taste, too; I remain astounded that few here can even begin to see what a wonderful role model Michelle Obama has presented - as a person, woman, black woman, black woman from a poor background - I repeat, if the choice existed for me, I would far prefer to look like Michelle Obama - who is magnificent - than to resemble Melania Trump).

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He really needs to hop off twitter. Now he's made the guy didn't memorize the speech.

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 7.40.27 PM.png

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually I'm not going to lie, when I saw this video and that he didn't memorize it (he's an actor after all he should be good at this) I was a little surprised as well, not like it was a lengthy speech, I wonder if someone paid him off to read it.

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No one paid him off to read it. The cast members of many shows have been vocal during the election. And if you've every listened, let alone seen Hamilton, you would know that it's a ton of material. It's likely the cast member wrote the speech that afternoon. Why should he memorize it? And do you think that would really make a difference?

Personally I think Trump is trying to keep the conversation alive because he wants attention diverted from settling the huge fraud lawsuit.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    He just deleted that tweet. Sad.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait...that's all natural???

24. mgguy, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Why can't you be more specific in describing the physical features of Melania Trump that frightens and unnerves you? and, what is it about Michelle Obama's looks that you find so appealing? You strike me as being a strong feminist, so I am intrigued as to why you are so quick to point out flaws in the physical appearance of another woman, and to compare women on superficial factors such as their looks.