Make playlist of iTunes songs matched but not downloaded?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ubele, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

My iTunes master library is on an external HDD attached to a 2015 13" MBP. I have over 8,500 songs, most of which I ripped at 128 Kbps from my large CD collection when iTunes first came out. I have iTunes Match now, and I finally decided to replace my 128 Kbps versions from the matched 256 Kbps versions in iCloud. After backing up my iTunes library, and then following instructions I found online, I created a smart playlist of all my 128 Kbps songs, removed the local copies, and downloaded the matched versions. It worked well and surprisingly quickly, with two glitches:

1) 23 of my songs downloaded at 128 Kbps, even though it says the iCloud versions are 256 Kbps. No problem: I still have the smart playlist showing the 128 Kbps songs, and I still have the CDs, so I can rip 256 Kbps versions.

2) I got an error message saying that about a dozen songs were unable to download. I went to one of the songs from the list. No matter how many times I tried to download it, I got an error, and then eventually a message box saying that the network connection had timed out. Again, I have the songs on CD and can re-rip them. However, I must have closed the error message with the list of songs that didn't download. So I selected my entire library, right-clicked, and clicked Download. Eventually, I got the "Network error" message, but not the list of songs that didn't download. I checked the one song from the list I remembered, and it still hadn't downloaded. So my question is, can I created a smart playlist showing which songs are matched in iCloud but haven't been downloaded to my iTunes library for offline listening? I don't see any obvious option for this. I have the latest versions of El Capitan and iTunes.

2. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Yea, you have the first part of it which is iCloud status of matched. And that with location is not on this computer. I think that will do what you are asking.

3. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That should have worked, but iTunes tells me that no songs match those criteria. It must be some sort of bug.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2016 ---
    My mistake: I changed the smart playlist to "Location is not on this computer." It turns out that those songs are not matched, after all. It's random, usually one song from an album where all the others are matched. At least I know what they are now, and there are 133, rather than the dozen or so that appeared in the first error list.

4. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

I've run into issues with matching a couple times. It was frustrating because I couldn't really tell what the issue was. I think I ended up deleting and re-ripping some stuff.