Make up my mind for me, please! Mophie Juice Pack vs Incase Slider.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by serialtoon, Jul 21, 2009.

1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Today i will be visiting the Apple store. So far i have bought a Incipio Feather which was cool, but would not be able to take a hit if dropped. Second i bought the BSE overlay, which i love....but the corners are coming up and getting stuck in my pants pocket...in only 2 days of use :eek:. Now im done looking for a case and ive decided on a Incase Slider or go for the gold and just grab the Mophie Juice pack air. Help me make a decision between the 2 please! I dont care if it scratches up the back, i simply want drop protection, but a little extra battery would be nice too. Now here is my dilema. I dont really need the extra battery, but it would be nice....but its also 80$. The Incase Slider is 29-34$. So thats almost HALF of the Mophie price without the battery charge. So what would you guys recommend? Thanks!:D

2. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Well if I helps I just bought TWO Incase sliders today--one in white and the other one a matte black--and I love them :)

I've gone through the much hyped Capsule Rebel and a ton of various cases and I keep coming back to either rolling naked or with an Incase slider.

When you go the Apple store try the cases on (if possible). Trust mr, you're gonna love the matte feeling it's soft as clouds yet it's a hardcase against nicks and drops.

3. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Ive gone naked and back. Even with the feather, i feel its absolutely useless to have on. If i dropped it in that, it would definitely damage the iPhone. BTW, did you grab one of the new sliders? I heard there is 2 in the wild now. An older version and a slightly better version.

4. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Hahah I copped a white feather for $5 at the AT&T store and I still feel ripped off! Pretty much a useless case in terms of what the real definition of a REAL case is.

Yeah I've seen the new Sliders at the Apple store but I didn't feel like driving out of my way for a stand I won't use so I just went to Best Buy and bought one there. Also something tells me everytime they re-release an item the quality drops I indefinitely since it's more mass produced (like the iPhone) so I got the regular 3G slider. Make sure though to TRY IT OUT before you buy. You have the right to make sure you didn't get a sharp jaggy ass case that you're about to drop $35 on.

You'll love it. It's like a soft velvet-like feeling for the matte "soft touch" versions. :)

5. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Sharp + Jagged + Case = just sounds terrible! I don't care what Best Buy says, im opening the package right there and trying it out. I'm about to head over there right now. If i grab the Incase, it will save me an extra 20 min drive to the Apple Store. Thanks for your prompt replies.

6. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Word. If you're not going to use that video S-stand there's no point in driving out if your way to pay the same thing haha. Tell the Best Buy dude if he's watching you try it out that you want it to fit right--he'll understand.

Post here what you ended up getting and if you like it :)

7. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I think the Mophie Juice pack air will add too much bulk. Thats just me, id only use the juice pack when i definitely need it like a long flight.

8. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

After looking at the Mophie, it doesnt look like a very good case. The bezel is showing and you cannot lay the phone flat on its face and also, i dont think it would be able to width stand a drop from waistline height.

9. emailYasmin macrumors member

emailYasmin

Although both add bulk, I liked the feel of InCase Powerslider.

What I didn't like about it is the idea of all the time charging my iPhone, since there is no off switch.

So I ended up with Kensington Pack.

10. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

I thought the incase slider scratches ur iphone??

11. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I've read the latest Slider is slightly bigger and ...supposedly won't scratch the phone

12. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I dont think i care much about this as i do it falling from my hands and hitting the pavement. Scratches are nothing compared to a smashed up iPhone :D

13. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Much as I wanted to keep my powerslider, it destroyed my 3g reception, so I had to go with a non power slider. Just be aware the powerslider does affect many people's reception.

14. titaniummd macrumors member

Yes. The same thing happened with me. I returned mine today, after a couple of tries at Resetting network connection and Powering down the unit.

It was too quirky.

I just got an external Power Source, instead - the 3G Juice "Major Mojo" 5400.

15. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Thanks for all of the input guys! Ended up picking up the incase slider. It's exactly what I was looking for.

16. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I just picked up a white incase slider from Best Buy for 10 bucks since it was an open box item. I was stoked to find such a deal and I actually quite like the case even over my Otterbox Defender which is a totally different case but I'm a protection freak.

The incase fit like a glove and I havn't taken it off since. It looks great and I've had no problems what so ever. I've decided to keep the incase on instead of my Otterbox and just be careful while using my phone to not drop it. I do feel confident that the case would take a pretty good lick for my iPhone if dropped and DO miss the fact that the Otterbox had the extra screen protection but I have an anti-glare on that will serve the same purpose as far as possibly saving me a cracked screen if dropped.

Love my Incase Slider. It shall suffice...that is until my Element Case gets here in a week. :D elementcase.com

17. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

What about the Tekkeon myPower Battery Sleeve? I've never used it, but it has good reviews in the Apple Store and I think it looks decent. I'd only really need a battery pack when I'm on long flights, train rides, camping or something that would keep me away from an outlet for a long time so the extra durability wouldn't hurt either. Has anyone tried one of these?

18. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I think im just going to purchase one of those external battery charger things. I figured i would only use it when im going to be away from an outlet for more than 1 day. Such as camping or if im flying constantly and dont have time to juice up the iPhone.

19. titaniummd macrumors member

Morphie has more 'juice' but the Incase gives more protection.

However, the Incase killed my signal to "No Service" (even with 3G at full strenght), so I returned it.

OOPS. I already replied to this. :p

20. irbrenda macrumors newbie

I have the Tekkeon and the Mophie Juice Pack Air. I prefer the Mophie for several reasons, mainly, that you have a switch to turn on the Mophie when needed and it will charge the iphone. I also like the case on the Mophie because it still gives it that iphone feeling, but it definitely adds weight. The Tekkeon has a leather case which has a snap closure at the top, leaving the top part of the iphone open with not much to protect it if it happens to crash to the ground. The Mophie is slippery but fully encases the iphone.

The Tekkeon has NO switch and uses its battery as the primary source first to power the iphone. It does not charge the iphone as I was led to believe. When the Tekkeon dies out, then the iphone battery is supposed to kick in. I didn't run the Tekkeon long enough yet to see if that is true. I was told that you really need 2 cases: one when the Tekkeon is in use, and then your own other case when the Tekkeon dies. I'm still not clear on this. I have to test it further.

I have had no signal problems with either case.

21. salesguy macrumors regular

I picked up my Incase slider tonight and couldn't be happier. I really like how snug the case fits and the matte black finish is much better than the gloss IMO.

My local apple store had none and it seems apple.com pulled it as well. I went to Target which was a waste of time and I found it at the local BB, they had at least 30 of them.

22. yukong macrumors newbie

The Apple rep at my local Apple Store told me that they had received reports that the In Case Slider was causing damage to the iphone battery. He said I should not purchase that one, and instead purchase the Mophie Juice Air. I did, and I really like it. I don't know if he is correct, but he said that was the reports they were getting and I didn't want to take any chance with my new 32gb 3GS.

FYI

23. salesguy macrumors regular

Did he explain how that was happening or did he just sway you into buying a case that he liked?

24. yukong macrumors newbie

He told me that they had been getting a lot of the InCase Sliders returned and there were indications that they were doing damage to the batteries. Said it had something to do with the electronics of the Incase Slider. The Slider was the one I was looking at getting at first, but after he told me that there were some suspicions that the InCase was damaging the circuits, I went with the Mophie. Actually now I'm glad I did because I like the fact you can turn the Mophie off.

Maybe he was just trying to sway me to the one he liked. However he said he didn't like using any case. He showed me his iphone and it was naked. No case, no screen protector. Nothing. And the price was the same so it wasn't like he was going to get a better commission (if they do that in the Apple Store). So, I didn't see any reason he would have to mislead me other than there have been such reports.

Anyway, I was just passing it along. Don't know if it's true or not. But if there is a chance, I wouldn't want to take it.

25. cjcstl macrumors newbie

Great Choice!! I have had no issues with my juice pack air...and definitely no signal degradation.