Makers of 'The Hurt Locker' plan to sue thousands of bittorrent users

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ethical, May 31, 2010.

1. ethical macrumors 68000

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20006314-261.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...r-producers-sue-5000-over-digital-piracy.html

Do you think this is a good idea?

The film only grossed $16m at the box office, so it's either a way to make some extra pennies, or is simply out of spite.

The idea is that they give the defendant the chance to settle out of court for around $1,500, and threaten the defendant with further court action if they do not comply - with the incentive that if they go to court the amount could go up to around $150,000 plus fees.

A similar sort of scheme has been going on over here in the UK for a number of years now, and has been met with widespread criticism most notably from members of the House of Lords. The biggest problem with it is that the method for collecting IP addresses seems to be flawed. Hundreds of people have been wrongly accused. What's to stop this happening in the US?

To me, it seems as though the makers of The Hurt Locker are going to horribly taint their movie, and instead of going down as 'the underdog that won the Oscar', it'll go down as 'the movie that sued thousands of fans'.

I'm not advocating piracy, I have this movie on DVD, but I think this is a bad move on their part.

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the porblem with the movie was that in europe for example it was launched _months_ after the _european_ dvd release .. .. going then on a rampage complaining about bad ticket sales ? :rolleyes:

this movie will go down as the prime example of idiotic delaying

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If and it's a big if they prove you downloaded it all you do is purchase a DVD copy and then it is no longer deemed illegal

4. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

That's not quite how Intellectual Property Rights/Laws work.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Maybe not but uk law allows you to have a digital copy providing you own the original for personal use only ;)

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I think this is good for the pirate network in general, it will push them into protecting their private data to avoid being caught. At the moment it's too easy to get someone's IP and other information.

There was a point where the music and film industry were stuck in the mud, but now they're gaining momentum and have successfully secured convictions globally - some of which have been high profile (piratebay) and some have been at the lower end, such as the UK indie game sharers. With such a broad profile, you can't ignore that if you're pirating you're not as safe as you were 5 years back.

7. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

No it doesn't. Do you have a link to somewhere that says that's legal?

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Why don't people just steal DVD's from Walmart?

It's more risky at the time of theft, but there's no digital evidence trail to follow afterwards.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are physical costs associated with a physical copy, its likely people who torrent the movie wouldn't buy it anyways.

For the record I consider the movie a solid rent, rented it on iTunes, watched it once, good enough.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just watched it (DVD rental) Saturday.

Good movie? Sure... maybe a little repetitive.

Best movie of the year? No waaay!

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I saw this a few days ago... this is essentially the same tack the much maligned RIAA suits took against Americans stealing songs. I'm not condoning piracy, but I'd be surprised if this ends very well for the producers....

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Oh I agree completely, this wasn't even close to being the best movie of the year.

13. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree. It'll make them some money, no doubt about that, but will come at the expense of their reputation and a lot of messy press. The same scheme that's running in the UK turned over £1M within the first year, and they were asking for about 40% of the amount these guys are asking for.

14. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Pretty much. Also, when you download something via torrents, you also have to upload whilst downloading. This means you are uploading it to people who may not already have a DVD copy.

15. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I wonder what the actual physical costs of a DVD, it's case, label, and delivery are?

My guess: 15¢

16. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Well there you go, then. Whereas "stealing" a movie costs the movie makers 0¢. When you multiply 0 by thousands you get a pretty small number (zero, to be exact). When you multiply 15¢ by thousands you get a pretty big number. Plus you cost the store money when you steal a DVD.

If Hollywood wants people to stop pirating their movies, they should start making decent movies, let people watch movies in their home when they come out, let people rip them to their computer, and make them much cheaper.

Think about it. Why spend 30 minutes driving to the movie theater to spend $50 to watch a crappy movie with your family in uncomfortable chairs, when you can spend 0 minutes driving, 0 dollars, and watch it right in your home and you can do whatever you want with the file.

edit:
    According to this guy:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061007022938AAobDIm
    30 cents, excluding shipping.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I've pirated a fair amount of material and I think I can honestly say that I wouldn't have purchased any of it.

Further as a result of my piracy I have purchased several movie tickets (watch the first online then go to see it on the big screen, or the sequel). And a quite large number of concert tickets and full cd's because I enjoyed what I "stole".

By my calculations the film and music industries have profited as a result of my illegal activity.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No you do not. I have my settings to no uploading

19. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Not only this ^ but also most pirates are more likely to buy music/videos then none pirates.
    see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/21/study-finds-pirates-buy-more-music

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is stupid on Katherine Bigelow's part. Do they not understand how many people went to see it or bought it because of piracy? Come on, piracy has been around forever. It's never going away, and only helps in the long run. It can't be stopped. And I say this as artist who has been in films. Look what Radiohead did. They just said, take it and pay what you want, and ended up making craploads on the package they sold.

Make something people love and they'll give you their cash quite willingly. Make some mediocre and they won't. I consider the Hurt locker to be one that I loved. It starred Anthony Mackie, who was in an aquaintance of mine's film Brother to Brother. So I already knew I'd love it.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I wonder if they are going after downloaders as opposed to unloaders as the RIAA did

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yeah, I think the uploaders are the more common targets, because heavy upstream traffic is a much bigger red flag. The sharers are more of a problem to them, without them, there is no illegal downloading.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why would you torrent? That's just sooo dumb.

24. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Or you could spend the money on a Usenet account and get delicious, secure and bandwidth-saturating downloads.

inb4 I get a message from some mod about piracy; I'm only advocating reading the f*cking newsgroups :rolleyes:

25. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

Spend what money? The main reason pirates pirate is because it's free.