Making a Verizon FIOS network invisible (like my Airport is invisible)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gription, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gription macrumors newbie

New to the forum and thanks for helping in advance:
    We have an airport and made it a closed network under the airport utility. What procedure would we use to make our FIOS network "closed", that is, invisible to our neighbors?

Also, we are unable to access our airport VIA our Fios network -- is it possible to do this? Our printer is on the airport network, which is now a local network only, and it would be easier to be able to log onto the fios net and access our printer via the airport.

Thanks again,
    Gription

2. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I have the wireless turned off on my fios router and wired to my Airport Extreme and the only thing I cannot do that I wish I could is use the fios remote app to control the cable boxes. but I h ave read that you can put your AE in bridge mode and fix that with ease.

as far as a "closed" network, are you talking about just not being able to see the SSID? or are you talking about turning on WPA2 or something?

if you just dont want your SSID broadcast, thats easy, but it will only keep you hidden from the honest people. air radar, kismet, and other tools will lock on to your AP beacon and list information about your wireless.

3. gription thread starter macrumors newbie

Evil C --
    Make the SSID not shown...yes. I know it's for "honest people" -- but for 99 percent of where I live, it will help.

I know how to do it with an airport (express) -- how do I make the SSID invisible with FIOS?

THanks again,
    G

4. gription thread starter macrumors newbie

And...how exactly did you wire your airport to your fios? So, in other words, you go to your airport network and the fios is just a conduit? Yeeeee haw -- that's what I'm talking about. How did you do that?

5. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

Turn off the wireless in the fios router setup, run a cat 5 from the fios router to the wan port on your ae.

Have you accessed the setup page on the fios router, 192.168.1.1 I think is the ip address it assigns. Been almost 2 years since I messed with mine.

6. gription thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again

EC5 -- appreciate the assist. Should be a breeze....

Cheers,
    G